• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,349 posts in this topic

I've always wondered about those Honeymoon Romance digests... is it a certainty that they contain Baker art? Anyone know for sure?

I looked at the two issues and a lot of Baker-ish art but unclear if anything is truly Baker. Very similar to the work in Strange Mysteries and more reminiscent of his early stuff in Fiction House. Below are two panels that looked like Baker from Honeymoon Romance Illustrated 2.

c9c2dfe5-d3ea-47a9-acee-1dfe74627bb1_zpsta6vzaxb.jpg

113924d2-35ca-4cbf-a2a8-8441e8a31fa0_zpsvcvcowkm.jpg

how rare is the digest: the case of the Winking Buddha???

Personally, I have seen a decent number of copies over the year. For digests, I would put its scarcity as average. But others may have a different take based on their experience and luck.

My personal top 10 Baker "romance" titles, not according to any $ value or scarcity.

Man, it is tough to pick just 10. I must have changed the order several times and also have some ties.

1- True love Pict. 11

2- Cind. Love 25

3- Diary Sec. 29

4- Teen Rom 32

5- Cind love 26 / Pict. Rom. 7

6- GCE 12 / Cind.Love 15

7- Pict. Rom 5

8- WTR 3 / Teen Rom. 18

9- Teen Tempts 2 / Teen Rom. 42

10- Teen Rom. 43/ Teen Rom. 17

This sultry cover is overlooked

CIND LOVE  26 photo CINDLOVE26.jpg

Some nice books there, John. Those over-sized issues of Teen-Age Romances are SO hard to find in decent condition. What usually happened, because they were so much taller than other books of the time, and often sat upright in boxes with other, shorter, comics, was that the top half inch or so would usually sustain damage because it was so exposed.

My best over-sized St. John is a copy of TR 14. It still has some moisture related warping to that top half inch, but it's my best example.

tar14_zpsf0be1dc4.jpg

Some nice books there, John. Those over-sized issues of Teen-Age Romances are SO hard to find in decent condition. What usually happened, because they were so much taller than other books of the time, and often sat upright in boxes with other, shorter, comics, was that the top half inch or so would usually sustain damage because it was so exposed.

My best over-sized St. John is a copy of TR 14. It still has some moisture related warping to that top half inch, but it's my best example.

tar14_zpsf0be1dc4.jpg

Absolutely breathtaking :o(worship)

My personal top 10 Baker "romance" titles, not according to any $ value or scarcity.

Man, it is tough to pick just 10. I must have changed the order several times and also have some ties.

1- True love Pict. 11

2- Cind. Love 25

3- Diary Sec. 29

4- Teen Rom 32

5- Cind love 26 / Pict. Rom. 7

6- GCE 12 / Cind.Love 15

7- Pict. Rom 5

8- WTR 3 / Teen Rom. 18

9- Teen Tempts 2 / Teen Rom. 42

10- Teen Rom. 43/ Teen Rom. 17

CIND LOVE  26 photo CINDLOVE26.jpg

Definitely one of my favorites! Nice copy.

I've always wondered about those Honeymoon Romance digests... is it a certainty that they contain Baker art? Anyone know for sure?

I looked at the two issues and a lot of Baker-ish art but unclear if anything is truly Baker. Very similar to the work in Strange Mysteries and more reminiscent of his early stuff in Fiction House. Below are two panels that looked like Baker from Honeymoon Romance Illustrated 2.

Tough to say, but I would lean against this being Baker's work. Still great stuff, though.

Those digests aren't included in the Baker checklist in The Art of Glamour book. I think that list mainly represents JV, Jr.'s views and tends toward the conservative side. For instance, it flags the cover to Jo-Jo 25 as probably not by Baker -- although CGC (and most sellers!) disagree.

Positive identification is often difficult, especially of work done in the forties and early fifties, because many artists were generally encouraged to capture that style that was popularized by the Iger Shop and showed up so often in Fox and Fiction House books. It just so happened that Baker captured that style better than anyone else. But that's why work by other artists in that same style is so often attributed to Baker.

how rare is the digest: the case of the Winking Buddha???

Personally, I have seen a decent number of copies over the year. For digests, I would put its scarcity as average. But others may have a different take based on their experience and luck.

There's a copy in the current Heritage Sunday night auction!

Beautiful copy of Cinderella Love 26, John. With census high of 6.5 and a recent auction price of $1500 for that grade I would say this issue is appreciated for just how hard it is to get in grade.

And speaking of pricing - the speed with which Duke's VG copy of Wartime Romances 9 got snatched up by Topnotch (DTA) for $225 is again a sure sign of rapid escalation in the Baker romance market. The Alexanders have a commanding presence in romance, the largest inventory of all with Metro coming in second, and surely know the market. I'd say double that $225 at a minimum for national dealer retail.

I think it's time for a recap of those issues that aren't in the census yet. We saw what happened with the Going Steady 14 going for $2271 for a 6.0. Part of that is the cover of course, the "mature" content a marked departure for Baker, but the other part is census scarcity.

Beautiful copy, John. With census high of 6.5 and a recent auction price of $1500 for that grade I would say this issue is appreciated for just how hard it is to get in grade.

And speaking of pricing - the speed with which Duke's VG copy of Wartime Romances 9 got snatched up by Topnotch (DTA) for $225 is again a sure sign of rapid escalation in the Baker romance market. The Alexanders have a commanding presence in romance, the largest inventory of all with Metro coming in second, and surely know the market. I'd say double that $225 at a minimum for national dealer retail.

I think it's time for a recap of those issues that aren't in the census yet. We saw what happened with the Going Steady 14 going for $2271 for a 6.0. Part of that is the cover of course, the "mature" content a marked departure for Baker, but the other part is census scarcity.

DTA sure has a lot of romance books listed on eBay, but does he sell many? Seems to relist many of them over and over again.

Tough to say, but I would lean against this being Baker's work. Still great stuff, though.

Those digests aren't included in the Baker checklist in The Art of Glamour book. I think that list mainly represents JV, Jr.'s views and tends toward the conservative side. For instance, it flags the cover to Jo-Jo 25 as probably not by Baker -- although CGC (and most sellers!)

disagree.

For what it's worth, I do not think these pictures are Baker, but Baker inspired.

Enough to cover the cost of carrying, obviously. And we had another example of a guy who priced his books aggressively, and the market came to him. Against all of our dire predictions.

Rogofsky? :D

Enough to cover the cost of carrying, obviously. And we had another example of a guy who priced his books aggressively, and the market came to him. Against all of our dire predictions.

The seller of the Sixth Street books?

The seller of the Sixth Street books?

Nah, he's got to be referring to Bedrock!