• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,610 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, Point Five said:

Wait until you see what the slabbed 4.0 went for on ComicLink last night. Maybe the creases didn't help, but ouch. Seems way low.

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAuctions%2Fsearch.asp%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Dgoing%2Bsteady%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item_1183004&id=1183004

Kind of a gnarly looking 4.0. :eek:

12 hours ago, Point Five said:

Wait until you see what the slabbed 4.0 went for on ComicLink last night. Maybe the creases didn't help, but ouch. Seems way low.

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAuctions%2Fsearch.asp%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Dgoing%2Bsteady%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item_1183004&id=1183004

One of my favorite Baker covers and an indication of how he looked for innovative ways to illustrate romance themes.  But I think many people are attracted to Baker's more suggestive covers, which, clearly, this one isn't.  In fact, you wonder how well suited it was for St. John's presumed audience of teenage girls.  

15 hours ago, Point Five said:

It kills me it went so low

I got busy that evening and forgot to enter my bid

Baker's romantic covers with no captions are among my favorites

40 minutes ago, n2wdw said:

It kills me it went so low

I got busy that evening and forgot to enter my bid

Baker's romantic covers with no captions are among my favorites

There was a presentable "detached cover" copy that showed up on ebay for $150.  Not sure if it is still there...

On 6/23/2017 at 11:51 PM, 29dukedog said:

Iirc, that guy sold me a certain highest graded Cinderella Love #15 (9.0), many, many years ago... 

cl15_zpsb00bbb00.jpg

OUTSTANDING!

Just now, Ricksneatstuff said:

Even though I have bought (and sold) a lot of Bakers in the last 18 months I am still too new to St John books to really know what's the toughest.  

Is there a compilation somewhere of the 10 toughest St John Baker covers?

(shrug)I've picked up several lately that I don't see around often. 

What are your new ones? The Tr 11 I just posted is hard. TR 40-45, especially 45. Diary Secrets nn. Pictorial Romances 14 I found hard to find.

7 minutes ago, comicnoir said:

What are your new ones? The Tr 11 I just posted is hard. TR 40-45, especially 45. Diary Secrets nn. Pictorial Romances 14 I found hard to find.

Seems TR 11-16 are all kind of tough.  I will post some pics soon.  

Here is one. Will do a better pic soon   

IMG_5215.JPG

Edited by Ricksneatstuff

7 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Even though I have bought (and sold) a lot of Bakers in the last 18 months I am still too new to St John books to really know what's the toughest.  

Is there a compilation somewhere of the 10 toughest St John Baker covers?

(shrug)I've picked up several lately that I don't see around often. 

5 minutes ago, comicnoir said:

I think Noir hit several there.  TAR9 is a toughie.  I think I've only seen one public sale of Secrets of True Love #1 in the last ten years.  DS25, 26 and 27.  Maybe all the Baker fans are just hoarding everything?  ;)

I think we have had a couple of goes at listing the toughest Bakers, including one within the past few months.  In addition to those just mentioned, the two issues of All-Picture All-True Love Stories are very tough.  As is All-True All-Picture Police Cases 2 (if you want to extend beyond romance).

On 6/24/2017 at 0:04 AM, rjpb said:

Nobody is grabbing this. A bit of a miscut, but seems priced okay from what little I know of Baker books.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WARTIME-ROMANCES-11-CGC-5-5-Sleazy-Baker-C-A-1952-/352096285053?hash=item51fa92f17d:g:qVwAAOSw~rpZTXI6

I think somebody got a bargain on this one.  I was busy last night and forgot to throw in a snipe.

42 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I think somebody got a bargain on this one.  I was busy last night and forgot to throw in a snipe.

I was wondering about that. I'm not really up on St. John Baker romance pricing, other than knowing what the general floor is for the books, and an awareness of some books that go for quite more. I suspected it was at least a fair deal just based on the assumption that a slabbed 5.0-6.0 copy of any Baker cover St. John romance was worth at bare minimum $60 ppp and probably more.