• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,347 posts in this topic

Just now, MBFan said:

As late as I arrived at the Baker collecting game, I thought I might never track down a copy of this issue...but just a few weeks ago I lucked out!

Going_Steady_12_front.jpg

Very nice pickup!

22 minutes ago, tricolorbrian said:
On 7/8/2017 at 9:17 PM, Sqeggs said:

Dana Dutch.  You're right that a lot of his work was adult in the best sense.

What?  Dutch Schultz wrote for St. John?  When did he find time for that...?:whatthe:

I had a typo in that reply.  His name was Dana Dutch (not Dan). 

22 hours ago, MBFan said:

As late as I arrived at the Baker collecting game, I thought I might never track down a copy of this issue...but just a few weeks ago I lucked out!

Going_Steady_12_front.jpg

A few weeks ago?  How did I miss this?!!

1 hour ago, Yorick said:

A few weeks ago?  How did I miss this?!!

With the intense bidding competition for Baker on eBay and elsewhere, I have sought out other sources. Whenever I take a road trip for business or pleasure, I map out every comic shop near the Interstate and stop to see what they have. 99% of the time I just get a blank stare when I ask about Matt Baker books...but every now and then, fortune smiles. 

Time for a blast from the past.  These are Bakers I bought from Joe Naaca in the 90s...with date and grade and PRICE...

Pict Romance 6 VG/VG+  $30  2/99

Pict Romance7 VG-          $25  3/99

Wartime romances6 F     $35  1/96

Wartime romances12 VG+ $15 1/96

Going Steady14 F+            $50 2/99

Diary Secrets30 F               $25 2/99

Teen-age Romances39 G/VG $25 4/99

Is it any wonder I have a hard time with today's prices?  Oh...the good old days...And this list is just from one dealer...I haven't listed all the others... lol

Edited by tricolorbrian

1 hour ago, tricolorbrian said:

Time for a blast from the past.  These are Bakers I bought from Joe Naaca in the 90s...with date and grade and PRICE...

Pict Romance 6 VG/VG+  $30  2/99

Pict Romance7 VG-          $25  3/99

Wartime romances6 F     $35  1/96

Wartime romances12 VG+ $15 1/96

Going Steady14 F+            $50 2/99

Diary Secrets30 F               $25 2/99

Teen-age Romances39 G/VG $25 4/99

Is it any wonder I have a hard time with today's prices?  Oh...the good old days...And this list is just from one dealer...I haven't listed all the others... lol

I'm a fool for stepping away from active collecting for a few decades. 

1 hour ago, MBFan said:

I'm a fool for stepping away from active collecting for a few decades. 

We have all been fools at sometime.  I stepped away from GA in the early 70s for 20 years...

Don't feel too bad, even in the early 90s we didn't see the present escalation of prices coming...

Look at the superman's in my Sig Line...in 1967 I bought the #17 for $8...but when I wanted the #24 in 1993 I had to pay $400...I have no idea what an 8.0 would cost me now...

Edited by tricolorbrian

21 minutes ago, szavisca said:

Posting this one in multiple threads cause I'm happy to have gotten it!  Think this one's been in here before but does someone wanna tell me if this counts as Bakers first "romance" cover? Not St. Johns but romance none the less!  Cover to cover baker art, Lorna's assets on display on the interior.

ClassicComics32front.jpg

ClassicComicsinner3.jpg

And that looks like the first print, which as far as I know the only time the full version of the story was published... all the reprints drop several of Baker's pages.

1 hour ago, szavisca said:

Little tan for my liking but still supple, and the first copy I've come across where the cover wasn't coming apart from the spine....its a really thick book.  Anyway, I'm thrilled with it...got it for a pittance too which you can't say for many Bakers now.

A sleeper Baker!  Everyone scramble for copies NOW...:whatthe:

Bought a batch of 1950's Australian edition Romance comics on eBay. This was one of the standouts: Digest sized 'Sweethearts Library #48'. It contains stories from a variety of publishers, but this has a few Baker St. John stories included. According to GCD, i thnk it's the only issue with Baker stuff. Nice painted cover too. 

Sweethearts Library #48 (Australian).jpg

27 minutes ago, sagii said:

Bought a batch of 1950's Australian edition Romance comics on eBay. This was one of the standouts: Digest sized 'Sweethearts Library #48'. It contains stories from a variety of publishers, but this has a few Baker St. John stories included. According to GCD, i thnk it's the only issue with Baker stuff. Nice painted cover too. 

Sweethearts Library #48 (Australian).jpg

Very cool.  Haven't seen that one before.

23 minutes ago, sagii said:

Thanks @Sqeggs. Was banging out a Journal entry. This and many others are on the eBay store for Basement Comics. Some real beauties/oddities still available. 

Thanks for the tip.  I'll have to check it out.  

But don't let any of these other Baker/romance people around here know, though.