• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,347 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, BB-Gun said:

I posted several covers that I made up several years ago.  One of the most popular (one person said they liked it) was the She-Wolf cover. 

3321226492_6d617c4d74_o.jpg

There are a few Canadian publications that have used Baker splash pages for covers too.  I remember one but created another. 

2371231280_ce6a440eeb_o.jpg

Both really great cover reimagining.  Thanks for sharing!

Shame that the new Overstreet (released on Weds) is woefully behind on Bakers, which is hard to understand when listening to dealers who say they can't keep them in stock even as FMV prices keep escalating.

Me thinks the Guide needs a new Baker adviser to bring them in touch with reality...

7 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

Shame that the new Overstreet (released on Weds) is woefully behind on Bakers, which is hard to understand when listening to dealers who say they can't keep them in stock even as FMV prices keep escalating.

Me thinks the Guide needs a new Baker adviser to bring them in touch with reality...

That is great if you are selling. Not so great if you are buying and collecting. I am more than to pay full Overstreet to a happy seller for them when I can (which isn't often the case). 

5 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

They are better than they were, when CL 25 guided at $45.00 or something. The most valuable TR in their estimation is #1, when we know that's not true. At least they acknowledge these comics are going up. They are missing the nuances and of course actual sale prices. Some books are actually breaking out from the pack. I don't expect much more from them. These are love comics after all.

1 minute ago, Robot Man said:

That is great if you are selling. Not so great if you are buying and collecting. I am more than to pay full Overstreet to a happy seller for them when I can (which isn't often the case). 

Of course, we could say that about anything - it's just that some reflection on reality, and more accurate Baker information, would be nice.

1 minute ago, comicnoir said:

I don't expect much more from them. These are love comics after all.

I actually do expect more from the Guide, but they are just too lazy. Overstreet is off on pricing and so be it, but accurate and updated information from them is not asking too much, in my opinion.

And it shouldn't matter what type of comics they are - look how war comics, for example, have risen in prominence. 

Just now, sacentaur said:

I actually do expect more from the Guide, but they are just too lazy. Overstreet is off on pricing and so be it, but accurate and updated information from them is not asking too much, in my opinion.

And it shouldn't matter what type of comics they are - look how war comics, for example, have risen in prominence. 

I was being sarcastic.

9 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

Of course, we could say that about anything - it's just that some reflection on reality, and more accurate Baker information, would be nice.

Why? Do you want to pay more than you already do? I don't. They, like a lot of books are already getting to the point where they are unaffordable to us non 1%ers. If you are a seller, put them up for auction and watch them realize their true value. 

Just now, Robot Man said:

Why? Do you want to pay more than you already do? I don't. They, like a lot of books are already getting to the point where they are unaffordable to us non 1%ers. If you are a seller, put them up for auction and watch them realize their true value. 

Bob, I think you're missing my point - Bakers are still a niche, and more accurate info and a better reflection of data on them is what's needed in general (for the few of us "in the know", it's not a big deal).

It's illogical to me to believe that inaccurate and out-of-date information is OK. (shrug)

The Guide can and should be better.

I'm with Steve on this one.  I remember a few years ago when I first got interested in Baker and checked the guide.  It was a mess:  Missing attributions, failure to break out issues (like CL 25) that were obviously of greater interest to collectors, or breaking out issues that probably shouldn't have been.

It's improved since then but it still has a ways to go.  Maybe as prices continue to rise (if they do), someone at the guide will take the time to finally make the listings reflect the relative of values of books and make sure the attributions are correct (although, granted, there is debate about some Baker attributions on non-St John books). 

11 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I'm with Steve on this one.  I remember a few years ago when I first got interested in Baker and checked the guide.  It was a mess:  Missing attributions, failure to break out issues (like CL 25) that were obviously of greater interest to collectors, or breaking out issues that probably shouldn't have been.

It's improved since then but it still has a ways to go.  Maybe as prices continue to rise (if they do), someone at the guide will take the time to finally make the listings reflect the relative of values of books and make sure the attributions are correct (although, granted, there is debate about some Baker attributions on non-St John books). 

@Sqeggs Hey Tony, speaking of which, was watching the Lone Rider 4 on HA last night.  Cover art looks Bakerish to me. I know he is associated with the publisher. Any thoughts if it's an uncredited Baker?

1 minute ago, sagii said:

@Sqeggs Hey Tony, speaking of which, was watching the Lone Rider 4 on HA last night.  Cover art looks Bakerish to me. I know he is associated with the publisher. Any thoughts if it's an uncredited Baker?

I'm not the best at identifying artists, but I would say this one isn't Baker.  The woman in the middle does look Bakerish, but the other two figures don't seem to be and the whole cover seems too stiff and awkwardly composed for Baker, imo. And in 1951, I think Baker was mainly working for St John, although he does have a few credits that year with other publishers (maybe work done earlier?).

Be interested to hear other opinions.

2 hours ago, sagii said:

Not Baker. Stiff and unattractive. Poor composition.

17 minutes ago, comicnoir said:

Not Baker. Stiff and unattractive. Poor composition.

Glad for the feedback fellas. Ok, like Tony observed,  it was mainly the female figure on the cover that had hints of Baker to me (face, headlights). Thought it might have been a loose Baker pencil job with heavy inks by others.

Love these Boards. (thumbsu

4 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

Posted in the under 10 census thread also.  Teen-Age Temptations 7.

image_zpszq2y0vvq.jpg

One of my favs, too, although from the looks of the guy with the receding hairline maybe it should have been titled "Middle-Age Temptations." hm

1135331008a_zpsf78270b6.jpg

10 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

I get what you gentlemen are saying and I agree. There is a lot of misinformation concerning Baker's work in the Guide. I used to send in a lot of info but gave up when it wasn't used. After all, it is all over the place price wise but there is no better reference tool around for collectors and that is where the Guide shines. As far as pricing goes, I don't need it anyway. No point in "rocking the boat"...