• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,347 posts in this topic

53 minutes ago, Crimebuster said:

Thanks very much for the info, guys, I appreciate it!

For what it's worth, this copy has a nice date stamp on the back cover, so if the information is of any interest to Matt Baker collectors, that arrival date is July 18. 

Cover date of September, so that would make sense.  My guess is that St John books had very limited circulation by that point, which has contributed to their scarcity. 

On 7/30/2017 at 11:35 AM, comicnoir said:

I'm sure they had tons of crime comics and other visuals in the art department as they were preparing to shoot the Untouchables. DePalma is a notorious "borrower".

The thumb is there, just accidentally coloured red like the coat of the person being carried in the b/g.

Oh! I was looking at the white-suit guy's thumb.

It looks like an "I" and an "E" got dropped on the black printing plate over that bottom left guy's thumb.  The font type looks like a match to the banner at top.  To me, it appears that he is almost making a fist (his thumb does not look like it is extending up and out - he is curling his fingers inward).

Managed to snag this before the family vacation last week on eBay: Only 5 on the CGC census (this one is slabbed by the other guys 4.5 ow/w). Interior is reprints but cover is 'new' according to Overstreet.  'Babe' cover legs and all :luhv: My Baker list is almost done. While i'm not a 'die hard' i did want Mr. Baker represented in my collection. A small but 'effective' sub set of non Romance covers (my regular collecting focus' can be expensive sometimes, so chose to go after the non Romance books as a more 'affordable'way to build a Baker set). Is this one tough and or underappreciated Baker Boys? I'm certain you guys maybe the CGC slabbed owners :D 

cropped ac#12.jpg

Edited by sagii

6 minutes ago, sagii said:

Managed to snag this before the family vacation last week on eBay: Only 5 on the CGC census (this one is slabbed by the other guys 4.5 ow/w). Interior is reprints but cover is 'new' according to Overstreet.  'Babe' cover legs and all :luhv: My Baker list is almost done. While i'm not a 'die hard' i did want Mr. Baker represented in my collection. A small but 'effective' sub set of non Romance covers (my regular collecting focus' can be expensive sometimes, so chose to go after the non Romance books as a more 'affordable'way to build a Baker set). Is this one tough and or underappreciated Baker Boys? I'm certain you guys maybe the CGC slabbed owners :D 

cropped ac#12.jpg

I have the Baker run of that title. Very under appreciated. But the real attraction is the covers. The stories are pretty boring.

11 minutes ago, sagii said:

cropped ac#12.jpg

Nice pickup.  I still need to find a copy.  

I wonder who "Approved" these comics? hm

35 minutes ago, sagii said:

cropped ac#12.jpg

Here's the only other one I have a picture of

comnorthwestmounties4paul.jpg

3 hours ago, sagii said:

cropped ac#12.jpg

3 hours ago, sagii said:

cropped ac#12.jpg

Very overlooked. Always liked this cover, solid drawing. I have a friend who collects Mountie comics and he wants me to sell my copy which I picked up for peanuts years ago. I think this book has nowhere to go but up. Just for her legs alone.

On 8/3/2017 at 11:35 AM, comicnoir said:

Very overlooked. Always liked this cover, solid drawing. I have a friend who collects Mountie comics and he wants me to sell my copy which I picked up for peanuts years ago. I think this book has nowhere to go but up. Just for her legs alone.

I just sold a few low grade Approved books on ebay for peanuts.... Mounties is a different title (sort of).