• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,326 posts in this topic

A lot of people say this. Maybe scarce but it sure isn't one of his better efforts. I don't know because I've had it so long. I'm sure you will get differing opinions and all are probably right in their own way. I know there is one book eluding Sqeggs to have a complete Baker romance run and I don't have it either.

comdiartsecrets.jpg

On 9/3/2018 at 7:24 AM, sagii said:

A Quality pub. Baker fave. And one that can stand with his St. John covers. Quaint scene at a Train Station , dawn,  snow on the ground and a nice shade of purple. Highest graded ( but also the only one graded for now, but I'll take the honor anyway :D). Really stoked that this bad boy got the Matt Baker cover notation, something a lot of the slabbed Quality covers are missing.

Funny observation: The dialog and placement of the figures could almost lead to the possibility the two guys are running away together on this one hm 

image.jpeg

Did you ask for the Baker Cover label notation or did CGC add it without your input?

58 minutes ago, Yorick said:

Did you ask for the Baker Cover label notation or did CGC add it without your input?

I requested. I saw how most of the other Quality issues posted by others were coming back without it so I wanted to be ahead of the curve. 

I wonder if his Atlas covers would comeback with out a cover credit notation? hm

4 minutes ago, sagii said:

I requested. I saw how most of the other Quality issues posted by others were coming back without it so I wanted to be ahead of the curve. 

I wonder if his Atlas covers would comeback with out a cover credit notation? hm

I am surprised that CGC put the Baker designation on that issue considering the mixed opinions on whether it's actually Baker.  I am in the "Not Baker" camp on that one, and I lean towards the center man being swiped from a Baker panel.  We discussed this issue many pages back...

1 minute ago, Yorick said:

I am surprised that CGC put the Baker designation on that issue considering the mixed opinions on whether it's actually Baker.  I am in the "Not Baker" camp on that one, and I lean towards the center man being swiped from a Baker panel.  We discussed this issue many pages back...

Really? I'd like to find that page. The center guy is certainly the most Bakerish on the cover and the 'fold lines' in the woman's clothing. He was working for Quality at this time, so certainly surprised there are doubts. 

..This was my other submission. This one already had the Baker notation on the single copy graded before mine joined it recently. Was hoping to tie or surpass it, but i'll take the 8.0. Pink cover and two Baker Girls is always a winning combo. Plus i love the stamp :luhv:

Exotic Romances #27.jpg

51 minutes ago, sagii said:

Really? I'd like to find that page. The center guy is certainly the most Bakerish on the cover and the 'fold lines' in the woman's clothing. He was working for Quality at this time, so certainly surprised there are doubts. 

I was jumping back every five pages or so before I got a 404 error and the pages stopped loading (around page 325 - thanks alot CGC host).  I think I was close to the discussion at around 324... but I did see some Quality discussion on 427.

1 minute ago, Yorick said:

I was jumping back every five pages or so before I got a 404 error and the pages stopped loading (around page 325 - thanks alot CGC host).  I think I was close to the discussion at around 324... but I did see some Quality discussion on 427.

(thumbsu

24 minutes ago, sagii said:

..This was my other submission. This one already had the Baker notation on the single copy graded before mine joined it recently. Was hoping to tie or surpass it, but i'll take the 8.0. Pink cover and two Baker Girls is always a winning combo. Plus i love the stamp :luhv:

Exotic Romances #27.jpg

Those are both beautiful copies, but I again don't see Baker.  (shrug)  When I was looking through those many back-pages, there was Quality interior art posted that was definitely Baker, but the cover art was questionable.

8 minutes ago, Yorick said:

Those are both beautiful copies, but I again don't see Baker.  (shrug)  When I was looking through those many back-pages, there was Quality interior art posted that was definitely Baker, but the cover art was questionable.

..Well, we are going to have to agree to disagree on this one buddy, i see Baker hallmarks under a strong but complimentary inker.

But ANY discussion is good here no matter if the views tend to be opposing at times. Heck, why either bother posting here if no one ever has a commentary to make on your post? (thumbsu

..On a similar note, i feel that same way about some of his credited Atlas work....

@Dr. Love don't pick now to be an Ostrich lol

Edited by sagii

2 minutes ago, Yorick said:

@sagii  There's no question that Baker did some Quality work!

100_0630.JPG

:applause:Those are all very beautiful! I'm only lacking one in that set. But all have the 'strong inker lean'. If i was to single out one Quality issue where i had 'doubts' it'd be Love Confessions #49, otherwise i personally see the master's touch in all the rest.

Wouldn't mind close up shots of some of those sometime (thumbsu

There are at least one confirmable copy of Baker cover work in each Wedding Bells and Exotic Romances - so it wouldn't be a stretch to assume there are more...  If there is interior work by Baker, that gives me a stronger impression that the cover might be his as well.  I don't have either Wedding Bells 15 or Exotic Romances 27.

4 minutes ago, Yorick said:

There are at least one confirmable copy of Baker cover work in each Wedding Bells and Exotic Romances - so it wouldn't be a stretch to assume there are more...  If there is interior work by Baker, that gives me a stronger impression that the cover might be his as well.  I don't have either Wedding Bells 15 or Exotic Romances 27.

CGC notes cover and interior for ER27 only cover on WB15. 

Edited by sagii

My experience with getting label notations is - do a hard copy submission sheet, not online.  Write up on at least one of the copies of the pages, the CGC one not the CCS one, under the line items if space allows (or on another piece of paper attached to the CGC copy if doing a 25 line submit), for the book in question what you want the label to say ie "Matt Baker cover" and the proof for the claim "as per Overstreet".  OS is the first and the most important source to back up the notation - in fact, if it's in OS, it's a done deal to get it on the label.  All you're doing there is informing them of a piece of data that directs the action, there is no thinking it over on their part.  That's why Sagii's note on Wedding Bells 15 was a foregone conclusion, once brought to their attention.

If OS doesn't have the note, then you move onto the next most credible source if it's available - "as per GCD".  If there's a note on GCD as to Jim Vadeboncoeur Jr being the indexer, then include that.  Very important - JVJ can usually take you over the top.  He carries a lot of weight in the accreditation world.

If there's nothing on those two I'd move onto The Art of Glamour, as JVJ had a hand in the index chapter of that book.

If there's nothing in any of those I'd send an email to Matt at CGC ahead of time and ask if he'd back up a claim as to accreditation.  Matt has a great eye of course, and internally can probably carry the day if he agrees.  I'd note that on the submit - "as per discussion with Matt Nelson". 

It's totally worth taking the extra moments to get the labeling right.  And that's as in dollars and cents worth it.

Sagii - I'm with Yorick on the Exotic Romances 27, the guy only.  Sadly that is the case for most of the Qualitys, imho of course - Baker's work is identifiable more so for the guys than the gals.  The big exceptions are Brides Romances 7 and then Love Secrets 40.  They'd fit right in with the St Johns any day.  On the Atlas, I can see a case for My Own Romance 67, again because of the guy.  Marginal though.

7 minutes ago, Dr. Love said:

My experience with getting label notations is - do a hard copy submission sheet, not online.  Write up on at least one of the copies of the pages, the CGC one not the CCS one, under the line items if space allows (or on another piece of paper attached to the CGC copy if doing a 25 line submit), for the book in question what you want the label to say ie "Matt Baker cover" and the proof for the claim "as per Overstreet".  OS is the first and the most important source to back up the notation - in fact, if it's in OS, it's a done deal to get it on the label.  All you're doing there is informing them of a piece of data that directs the action, there is no thinking it over on their part.  That's why Sagii's note on Wedding Bells 15 was a foregone conclusion, once brought to their attention.

If OS doesn't have the note, then you move onto the next most credible source if it's available - "as per GCD".  If there's a note on GCD as to Jim Vadeboncoeur Jr being the indexer, then include that.  Very important - JVJ can usually take you over the top.  He carries a lot of weight in the accreditation world.

If there's nothing on those two I'd move onto The Art of Glamour, as JVJ had a hand in the index chapter of that book.

If there's nothing in any of those I'd send an email to Matt at CGC ahead of time and ask if he'd back up a claim as to accreditation.  Matt has a great eye of course, and internally can probably carry the day if he agrees.  I'd note that on the submit - "as per discussion with Matt Nelson". 

It's totally worth taking the extra moments to get the labeling right.  And that's as in dollars and cents worth it.

Sagii - I'm with Yorick on the Exotic Romances 27, the guy only.  Sadly that is the case for most of the Qualitys, imho of course - Baker's work is identifiable more so for the guys than the gals.  The big exceptions are Brides Romances 7 and then Love Secrets 40.  They'd fit right in with the St Johns any day.  On the Atlas, I can see a case for My Own Romance 67, again because of the guy.  Marginal though.

Thanks for the weigh in good Doctor (worship)

I will agree that most of the Quality work is more identifiable through the guys, not the gals. Maybe the inker thought he was 'beautifying' the girl more (crazy as that may seem considering who they were inking) with their own touches so mucked with them more hm

My Own Romance 67 was the book i was eluding to when i asked @Sqeggs in the Romance Thread to confirm a suspected Baker in the last CC auction for me. I hinted rather than outright naming it so as not to 'influence' the 'call'. I took one look at that and thought 'Baker' (but from the girl, not the guy). I see GCD leans toward it as a Baker cover. My copy of Art of Glamour is on the way to me, so 'ill find out if they call that one for Baker next week

Either way, all good. Healthy discussion.