• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,326 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, szavisca said:

Just to add my experience to this, I've had great success in recent months getting CGC to add/change label cover attributions by sending them messages via their Website's main page - "site map - contact us" link.  Under subject I pick Submission/Labeling/Verification Questions.

I politely inform them that I'm about to submit some books but want to get the Label updated if possible.  I do what I can to make it as easy and simple as possible for them.  As you, I mention OPG, GCD, and Art of Glamour but I also cite the specific page numbers, and give them the hyperlinks to the books on GCD's website.  Basically, do as much of the work for them as you possibly can and they seem very happy to accommodate.  They've usually responded via email within 1 or 2 days and tell me their graders will look at the request, and a day or so later they have either told me they're updating the label immediately, or they've agreed to the changes and instructed me to send in a copy of this email of them (CGC) agreeing to the changes, with my online submission packing slip.

In this manner over the past couple weeks they've changed about a dozen Labels at my request, one Baker and  the rest another favorite artist of mine who's cover attributions are sorely lacking. 

You and @Dr. Love and @sagii have been doing great work in getting these artist attributions added to labels. I know it's a chore to document everything, but it's helpful to the hobby.

13 hours ago, Dr. Love said:

My experience with getting label notations is - do a hard copy submission sheet, not online.  Write up on at least one of the copies of the pages, the CGC one not the CCS one, under the line items if space allows (or on another piece of paper attached to the CGC copy if doing a 25 line submit), for the book in question what you want the label to say ie "Matt Baker cover" and the proof for the claim "as per Overstreet".  OS is the first and the most important source to back up the notation - in fact, if it's in OS, it's a done deal to get it on the label.  All you're doing there is informing them of a piece of data that directs the action, there is no thinking it over on their part.  That's why Sagii's note on Wedding Bells 15 was a foregone conclusion, once brought to their attention.

If OS doesn't have the note, then you move onto the next most credible source if it's available - "as per GCD".  If there's a note on GCD as to Jim Vadeboncoeur Jr being the indexer, then include that.  Very important - JVJ can usually take you over the top.  He carries a lot of weight in the accreditation world.

If there's nothing on those two I'd move onto The Art of Glamour, as JVJ had a hand in the index chapter of that book.

If there's nothing in any of those I'd send an email to Matt at CGC ahead of time and ask if he'd back up a claim as to accreditation.  Matt has a great eye of course, and internally can probably carry the day if he agrees.  I'd note that on the submit - "as per discussion with Matt Nelson". 

It's totally worth taking the extra moments to get the labeling right.  And that's as in dollars and cents worth it.

Sagii - I'm with Yorick on the Exotic Romances 27, the guy only.  Sadly that is the case for most of the Qualitys, imho of course - Baker's work is identifiable more so for the guys than the gals.  The big exceptions are Brides Romances 7 and then Love Secrets 40.  They'd fit right in with the St Johns any day.  On the Atlas, I can see a case for My Own Romance 67, again because of the guy.  Marginal though.

For what it's worth, The Art of Glamour checklist doesn't credit Wedding Bells 15 to Baker, although the two guys certainly look like his work.

The Art of Glamour credits Baker with the cover and the pencils on a five-page story in Wedding Bells 16. There are two other slabbed copies in addition to this one.  I don't know if either of those has the Baker attribution on the label.

wed19a_zps0427c5af.JPG

Edited by Sqeggs

28 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

The Art of Glamour credits Baker with the cover and the pencils on a five-page story in Wedding Bells 16. There are two other slabbed copies in addition to this one.  I don't know if either of those has the Baker attribution on the label.

wed19a_zps0427c5af.JPG

One of the more' clearly Baker' Quality covers. Mine isn't as nice as your copy, but when i submit it I will request the label notation.

Your choices for the toughest are hard to argue with. I believe you nailed it, congrats on being almost there we are all rooting for you. 

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

I would say that the Diary Secrets nn (which Bob showed) and All Picture All True Love Story 1 (the only Baker romance book that I'm missing -- this is the scan from GCD) may be the toughest. All Picture All True Love Story 2 was at one time not listed in Overstreet, so it's also tough, but I think a few copies have surfaced. (Note that there is some debate as to whether the APATLS 2 cover is actually by Baker.  I'm inclined to think that it is.)

Teen-Age Diary Secrets 9 is also very tough -- as you can tell from my only being able to locate this wreck of a copy!

292849.jpg

2018-02-02-0001_zpsengssw10.JPG

2017-10-16-0001_zpskapff2bg.JPG

I might be tempted to throw this in there too. Although not a Baker cover, It is full of interior Baker work and super tough to find.

comteenagediarysecrets.jpg

30 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I might be tempted to throw this in there too. Although not a Baker cover, It is full of interior Baker work and super tough to find.

This little honey of a book has the most original Baker pages of any St John romance, 61 pages.  A very far second would be True Love Pictorial 4 with 41 pages, followed by Teen-Age Romances 16 with 34 pages.

Of course this doesn't include It Rhymes with Lust, which would blow them all away, but doesn't fall into the romance category.  Or predominately crime either.  Truly, it's a one off, the book without a genre to call it's own.  I need to find one of these again.  It used to be hotter than a pistol in days of old, now not so much.                                                                                                                                                                           

3 minutes ago, Dr. Love said:

This little honey of a book has the most original Baker pages of any St John romance, 61 pages.

Smaller size pages?

yeh, fits in the pocket - hence...

7 X 5 1/4 and gets a "Digest Size" notation on the label

but Bob is right, it is super tough, and Tony is right, TADS 9 is harder yet to find in general and certainly in grade than the #7.  On the other hand it's all reprint, if that matters to you.  On the other other hand it's got a line drawn Baker cover as compared to a photo.

Unfortunately, there are only two of the six issues for this title, Teen-Age Diary Secrets, scanned into Comic Book + (comicbookplus.com).  #7 isn't one of them, so we can't readily read it.  Thankfully the majority of the St. John romance is scanned in and available to us all, not even for the cost of a dime.  Yay interwebs.

Edited by Dr. Love

5 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Here's a census conundrum for you.  I actually own two copies.  The census lists a 9.2, an 8.5, and a 3.5.  But note the incorrect label on my two copies.  But ... the census has no listings for the (nonexistent) Diary Secrets 7.  So, even though these slabs have wrong the labels, the census numbers appear (somehow) to be correct ... I think ... maybe ...   

2015-08-31-0002_zpsovelym7s-2.JPG

033ddd66-876f-4108-8ad0-7fbca9dd3763_zps7niyh6z6-2.JPG

6 hours ago, sagii said:

One of the more' clearly Baker' Quality covers. Mine isn't as nice as your copy, but when i submit it I will request the label notation.

Your choices for the toughest are hard to argue with. I believe you nailed it, congrats on being almost there we are all rooting for you

:foryou:

4 hours ago, Dr. Love said:

yeh, fits in the pocket - hence...

7 X 5 1/4 and gets a "Digest Size" notation on the label

So if we are measuring by actual amount of Baker art and not just quantity of pages, TLP 4 probably has as much, maybe more?

7 hours ago, Yorick said:

@Sqeggs are your TADS' that dramatically different in color tone between the two copies or is that a scanner adjustment?  I'm pretty sure I saw a raw copy for sale since the sale of the Lloyd copy.

Pulled them from the box and they look almost identical in hand, so the difference is a scanner artifact.  The 3.5 was bought raw from a well-known dealer as a VF.  It actually looks much better than the grade, but has some hidden flaws -- I've forgotten what they are!  The pq on the other copy is unfortunate.

3 minutes ago, Yorick said:

After the Comic Book Madness on ebay last night I am two issues closer to my St John Baker goals.  Five issues to go (and then the endless search to upgrade!!!).

:ohnoez:..And the madness continues on HA this week!!

I'm not a player, but i will be watching one of the Bakers in particular. I have a low grade copy i'm happy with but i'm expecting a photo finish for this copy..:slapfight: