• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,326 posts in this topic

23 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Me, too.  I think it's been considered to be such during the time I've been paying attention to Bakers.

Interesting that there's a male name written on the front cover.  I can't recall seeing that on a romance comic. 

I once owned a CL 15 (in about 5.0) with the same guy's name on the cover.  (Now I just have this ratty old 9.0...)  

cl15_pb.jpg

18 minutes ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:
45 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Aren't you the guy who a few years ago told us to boycott anyone selling Bakers for more than $125? :baiting:

Uh...no comment...except that, "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em..."

You joined 'em and you're beatin' 'em!

6 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I don’t know why I keep selling this book and then buying it back later, usually for more. I do like it a lot. Definitely a top 5 Baker romance cover to me.  

AF5770F0-7F24-4AC8-A583-8A9B87A9EC9D.jpeg

Definitely one of his best.  It's the issue that first got me interested in Baker romance.

2 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

I'd forgotten.  Very nice.  

Highest copy on the census is a 4.5.  Here's my copy. 

75535c17-eb87-40bf-91c2-6af53f8ef737_zpsigjp7e5z.jpg

Well, as long as we're showing our "same old, same old"...here's mine again...which might probably, possibly, get a good grade if I did that sort of thing...¬¬

=Bak-DS30.jpg

On 1/23/2019 at 7:14 AM, BB-Gun said:

The black and white line drawing that I posted is a recreation of the Baker cover by Jerry Acerno who is a professional that has worked at Marvel and DC.

I didn't know it was by Mr Acerno.  Don't think that was in the listing...  It would be great of any re-creation that the artist sign it.

7 hours ago, BB-Gun said:
22 hours ago, Mijael.Levy said:

Just got this one

0YlkdFqh.jpg

I usually prefer the full page covers but that Diary Secrets is very attractive.<3

Yes, I agree.  Most of his best work is in the form of the full page covers.  One of the mysteries of his career is the gap between how good his late St John romance covers were and how mediocre his Quality covers were, although drawn only a year or two later. My suspicion is that he was already suffering significant health problems circa 1956, or else something else was distracting him from his work.

Crippen copy of DS 15. Since graded as a 6.5 OW. Discoloration along the spine less noticeable in hand. 

diar.jpg

Edited by Sqeggs