• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,326 posts in this topic

On 6/27/2021 at 2:22 PM, Randall Dowling said:

I'm sure this has been posted before but I just found another copy of this nice repository of Matt Baker art (copy shown was sold to a board member recently).  Interiors obscured for the innocent.

Warren491.thumb.jpg.7b25e5361873e982e5e8929a429fdbf0.jpg

Hide contents

IMG_4730.thumb.jpg.fe71d8ad74bbd8ac2133445eea8a8652.jpg

IMG_4728.thumb.jpg.1ca081451c469e9b978bacbd390c3651.jpg

IMG_4729.thumb.JPG.c42978162c501d9b2fd772f5db9a2834.JPG

I think this magazine is very undervalued

1 hour ago, Microbia said:

Let’s get Mr Baker back to page 1. May have posted this a while ago. Still the highest graded!

E20BAAE7-D68B-429B-AC0D-4A7DD871CE22.jpeg

That's a tough one.  I just looked up the census data because I recall seeing a 6.0 copy.  No 6.0 is listed in the census.  (shrug) Did someone try and press the 6.0 and popped a staple?  Am I losing my mind? hm

My thought is Matt Baker was inspired by one muse in particular here.  The Phantom Lady.  Not the comic book, though perhaps that too, but the actress Ella Raines.  Check this out...Baker was cutting his teeth in New York in the mid 40s, as Ella was in the spotlight.  Cinderella Love #25, a masterpiece cover, to my eye, is unmistakable.

59903B9B-562E-42AD-9C08-9E822A243EBF.png

53 minutes ago, eschnit said:

My thought is Matt Baker was inspired by one muse in particular here.  The Phantom Lady.  Not the comic book, though perhaps that too, but the actress Ella Raines.  Check this out...Baker was cutting his teeth in New York in the mid 40s, as Ella was in the spotlight.  Cinderella Love #25, a masterpiece cover, to my eye, is unmistakable.

59903B9B-562E-42AD-9C08-9E822A243EBF.png

Given the discovery of the Thisavros cover, I don't see any connection here.

22 hours ago, Yorick said:

That's a tough one.  I just looked up the census data because I recall seeing a 6.0 copy.  No 6.0 is listed in the census.  (shrug) Did someone try and press the 6.0 and popped a staple?  Am I losing my mind? hm

I guess I must have been thinking of the 5.0 with the rusty bottom staple that sold back in 2009 when Comicconnect had that awesome Baker auction.

20 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Forgive this off topic intrusion, but do baker romance covers get more respect than his crime covers?

Interesting question.  Are you defining crime covers to include his Phantom Lady covers or primarily Authentic Police Cases, Crime Reporter, and some St. John giants like Giant Comics Edition 12 and Record Book of Police Cases?  And when you say respect, do you mean $$$$?  Certainly the sheer volume of amazing Baker romance covers has created a lot of the Baker craziness over the past 10 years.  But when folks compiled their Top 10 Baker lists, you had covers from multiple genres such as Romance, Crime, Jungle, Super Hero, etc . . . 

37 minutes ago, BakerFanOne said:

Interesting question.  Are you defining crime covers to include his Phantom Lady covers or primarily Authentic Police Cases, Crime Reporter, and some St. John giants like Giant Comics Edition 12 and Record Book of Police Cases?  And when you say respect, do you mean $$$$?  Certainly the sheer volume of amazing Baker romance covers has created a lot of the Baker craziness over the past 10 years.  But when folks compiled their Top 10 Baker lists, you had covers from multiple genres such as Romance, Crime, Jungle, Super Hero, etc . . . 

Thanks for answering. I’m looking at today’s heritage weekly, and I’m comparing Authentic Police to Teenage Romance. Just seems like the Romance has been bid up dramatically higher than the Authentic. I wondered if that is generally reflective of the market. I myself have both, and I never before noticed this large of a discrepancy. Maybe by the time the gavel comes down that discrepancy will have disappeared