• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,324 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Picked this up raw a while back and finally got it graded. Only two on the census (the other is a 4.0). Not sure if it's actually that scarce or people aren't bothering to get it graded. 

Hard to believe how pedestrian this cover is coming within a couple of years of Baker's terrific late work for St John. 

2021-05-31-0001.jpeg

Hate to disagree on this one T, but I think it's one of two that we're the least 'mucked' with in terms of the Quality Comics output. Unmistakably Baker to me, and my favorite of the QC covers. 

Just now, sagii said:

Hate to disagree on this one T, but I think it's one of two that we're the least 'mucked' with in terms of the Quality Comics output. Unmistakably Baker to me, and my favorite of the QC covers. 

I agree that it does stand out as being one of the covers that wasn't inked within an inch or its life. But don't think it's a rather bland cover that could have been drawn by practically any romance artist? It doesn't have that, "Now that's why I love Baker" oomph that his St John covers did--particularly the late ones. 

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

Used to be said that APC 18 was the toughest issue in the series. Gerber gave it an 8. 

Pretty clear that's not correct. APC 38 is probably the toughest to my mind. Some other issues that are at least as tough as 18.

Still only nine copies of 18 on the census, but it's not clear that people are bothering to slab low-grade raws and with a 7.0 as well as this 6.5, clearly not impossible in mid-grade. 

2021-05-31-0001.jpeg

There is no large babe illustration... unless you're into Granny?  There's better material on the inside than the outside here.  Why seal that up?

Until someone submits a higher grade copy of APC38, I'm just going to say it's the rarest issue.  :devil:

On 5/30/2021 at 7:39 AM, Sqeggs said:

Don't think I posted this one before. Thank goodness for Crippen!

2021-05-29-0001.jpeg

DS15 reminds me of this British black and white edition.  I have so much fun and frustration collecting these.  On the bright side, they are cheap because no one knows about them.  On the flip side, they are impossible to find and I'll never finish the set (and overseas shipping costs are killing me).

Anyone recognize the image from some interior panels?

Confidential Stories 23 (reducio).jpg

2 hours ago, Yorick said:

There is no large babe illustration... unless you're into Granny?  There's better material on the inside than the outside here.  Why seal that up?

Until someone submits a higher grade copy of APC38, I'm just going to say it's the rarest issue.  :devil:

That Murder in Mink babe is awesome and should have been the main illo.

On 5/31/2021 at 4:11 PM, comicnoir said:
On 5/31/2021 at 2:01 PM, Yorick said:

That Murder in Mink babe is awesome and should have been the main illo.

I remember some speculation--maybe in this thread?--that one reason for 18's supposed rarity was that having an older woman bound and gagged was too much for some newsstand owners. Plus they needed more space to display copies of Crime SuspenStories 22. :insane:

On 5/31/2021 at 4:11 PM, Yorick said:

DS15 reminds me of this British black and white edition.  I have so much fun and frustration collecting these.  On the bright side, they are cheap because no one knows about them.  On the flip side, they are impossible to find and I'll never finish the set (and overseas shipping costs are killing me).

Anyone recognize the image from some interior panels?

Confidential Stories 23 (reducio).jpg

I admire Betty's name and her stamp. Evelyn, on the other hand, needed to work on her penmanship. 

I don't recall ever seeing one of these before. 

4 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

A collection (or two?) of high-grade Canadian copies, at least of the early photo cover issues, seems to have surfaced. I couldn't resist picking up this one. 

2021-05-15-0001.jpeg

Momochan on the board.  Originally the book came back without the MM note, which was an aggravation.  I see he was successful on getting that redone.

He ended up moving many of his Canadian slabbed romance to ComicLink recently, after having them up on Ebay as BINS for quite a while.  Didn't do so great for him there unfortunately.

You're just a glutton for this book aint you?  Although I think this one cost a bit more than your first copy...    :baiting:

Edited by Dr. Love

On 6/2/2021 at 4:20 PM, Dr. Love said:

Momochan on the board.  Originally the book came back without the MM note, which was an aggravation.  I see he was successful on getting that redone.

He ended up moving many of his Canadian slabbed romance to ComicLink recently, after having them up on Ebay as BINS for quite a while.  Didn't do so great for him there unfortunately.

You're just a glutton for this book aint you?  Although I think this one cost a bit more than your first copy...    :baiting:

Five times as much! Ah, the olden days when Dr. Love listed a group of Bakers on the boards and I was the only taker. Although, admittedly, I took them all as soon as they were listed! :)