• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,326 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Thanks for answering. I’m looking at today’s heritage weekly, and I’m comparing Authentic Police to Teenage Romance. Just seems like the Romance has been bid up dramatically higher than the Authentic. I wondered if that is generally reflective of the market. I myself have both, and I never before noticed this large of a discrepancy. Maybe by the time the gavel comes down that discrepancy will have disappeared 

Since so many Baker collectors appreciate his good girl covers and many Authentic Police covers have minimal to non-existent females on the cover, it is not surprising that Romance would outpace his Authentic Police covers.  However, any APC issue with a prominent female like the classic APC 6 should hang right in there with the better Baker romance covers.  Grade of course matters as Baker romance and crime in the Fair to VG- range have become a lot more common with some exceptions so it seems only the rarer covers and higher grade copies command a real premium these days..

Edited by BakerFanOne

On 7/17/2021 at 11:23 AM, Yorick said:

If only I could go back to 2009 and buy more of them!

CL29 2009.jpg

I hear you.  But even going back to the 1990s when I was aggressively pursuing any Baker romance, Cinderella Loves were very hard to find. Even with some huge price spikes, copies of both Cinderella Love and Going Steady still seem relatively scarce.  

3 hours ago, BakerFanOne said:

Looking through some boxes this morning as I might send a few into CGC at the Torpedo show and took a quick pic.  

IMG_0627.jpg

There is a grouping you don't get to see every day!!  I've never had those three on the left (DS/LS/PC) - are they rebound remainders like the Giant Comics Editions?

1 hour ago, BakerFanOne said:

Since so many Baker collectors appreciate his good girl covers and many Authentic Police covers have minimal to non-existent females on the cover, it is not surprising that Romance would outpace his Authentic Police covers.  However, any APC issue with a prominent female like the classic APC 6 should hang right in there with the better Baker romance covers.  Grade of course matters as Baker romance and crime in the Fair to VG- range have become a lot more common with some exceptions so it seems only the rarer covers and higher grade copies command a real premium these days..

+1.  The TAR in the auction is a somewhat classic Baker cover.  The particular APC issues in the auction are not.  APC issues that are not in the auction, but which prominently feature Baker GGA, would generate higher bidding.

On 7/22/2021 at 3:20 PM, Ryan. said:

20210722_181729.jpg

Nice color alignment.  A lot of these have smudgy blue ink into the mans face (like my copy :sorry:).

On 7/18/2021 at 9:59 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Thanks for answering. I’m looking at today’s heritage weekly, and I’m comparing Authentic Police to Teenage Romance. Just seems like the Romance has been bid up dramatically higher than the Authentic. I wondered if that is generally reflective of the market. I myself have both, and I never before noticed this large of a discrepancy. Maybe by the time the gavel comes down that discrepancy will have disappeared 

I think the Authentic Police Cases are quite a bit more common than the romance books.  That may just be my perception, though.

On 7/22/2021 at 10:45 PM, RICK STARR said:

Yeah it is from a lousy scan. I left the book in the plastic bag when I scanned it.

I did that a lot when I started scanning my silver books.  Most have ugly wavy lines from the plastic bags.  I'm embarrassed to show them.  :facepalm:  I need to scan them again...OUTSIDE the bags... lol

Your Going Steady 10 looks great though...