• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,326 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Now this one is signed by Colletta, but something is going on. Baker pencils that Colletta inked--and then cheekily signed despite not having done the pencils? Colletta copying Baker? Something else? 

2021-05-10-0001.jpeg

Nothing about this looks like Baker to me. Is it listed in Art of Glamour?

7 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

I've had these for a while but I don't think I ever posted them. To come to think of it, I haven't been posting anything in recent months!

.. tell me about it. I was concerned about you. You need to tell Mrs. Sqeggs to stop chaining you to the bed, let her know that there are others who might appreciate some of your time. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

9 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Now this one is signed by Colletta, but something is going on. Baker pencils that Colletta inked--and then cheekily signed despite not having done the pencils? Colletta copying Baker? Something else? 

2021-05-10-0001.jpeg

I see no Baker in this (except that Baker did illustrate some great dance hall scenes).  The figure on the left resembles Cole's work, the girl with half her face behind the foreground man is pure Colletta, and the foreground figures are weird Colletta (like he was attempting to do something different - or he was rushed).

10 hours ago, szav said:

Doesn't surprise me there'd be no romance as it doesn't seem fit the OOs style/background, wouldn't have expected them even if the collection went to 1960.   I find it really hard to believe no SS 4 or 6 when there is a 1,2,3, and 5.  Lack of a 4 and 6 would indicate someone who had early access to this collection plucked them.  

Indeed that is very suspicious. 

21 hours ago, PeterPark said:
23 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Greetings men and women of earth! I bring you tidings from a world very much like your own except that in this world Matt Baker was ... Greek??

s-l1600.jpeg

Expand  Expand  

You found another copy?!? I didn't check the previous posts to see if this was the copy sold on ebay several months ago but another would really be something! These are tough!

It's the eBay one. I couldn't pass it up. Great discovery by the seller. Baker had a huge swipe file, now we have a clue just how extensive it was. 

22 hours ago, Dr. Love said:

Although anything is possible for a teen who bought Miss America. Hoping for a primo Young Romance 1, maybe the My Date run.

I think they aren't there, unfortunately. 

16 hours ago, jimjum12 said:
23 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

I've had these for a while but I don't think I ever posted them. To come to think of it, I haven't been posting anything in recent months!

.. tell me about it. I was concerned about you. You need to tell Mrs. Sqeggs to stop chaining you to the bed, let her know that there are others who might appreciate some of your time. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

I'll tell her, but will she listen?? :cry:

11 hours ago, szav said:
12 hours ago, Sarg said:

Indeed that is very suspicious. 

To be fair I don't know if Sqeggs has inside info, when they seem to be pretty tight lipped about what's in the collection, or if he's just inferring that there's no 4 and 6 because they were left out of round 1, despite 1, 2, 3, and 5 being in there.  If there is a 4 and a 6 maybe they don't want them up against the PLs or just want to hold them to keep some marquis stuff in the other auctions.

:gossip: No SS 4 or 6, alas. There are some good books in future rounds but I don't think there will be any Baker, except possibly some Westerns. But it would cool to see some super high-grade Baker St John Westerns. 

2 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Yep. That's the one. I have a copy ... somewhere.

Cool. It's on my radar as I'm hoping there will be a Thorpe & Porter 9d stamped copy out there somewhere in England... :wishluck:

5 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Not in Art of Glamour. Don't you think the guy seems very similar to this guy--bow tie, hair?

2021-05-10-0001.jpeg

To my eye, this is definitely Baker. :sumo:

5 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Not in Art of Glamour. Don't you think the guy seems very similar to this guy--bow tie, hair?

2021-05-10-0001.jpeg

I agree this is Baker with bad inking. The cover I see no Baker on is the one in my original quote, Love Tales 61.

Edited by MBFan

On the LT 61, you might think that Baker did the layout and sketched in the figures, but I'm not sure that Colletta needed or wanted that. But ... there does seem to be some Baker influence in it to my eye. 

Picked this up raw a while back and finally got it graded. Only two on the census (the other is a 4.0). Not sure if it's actually that scarce or people aren't bothering to get it graded. 

Hard to believe how pedestrian this cover is coming within a couple of years of Baker's terrific late work for St John. 

2021-05-31-0001.jpeg