• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,376 posts in this topic

On 2/2/2022 at 5:50 PM, comicnoir said:

am I the only one, but doesnt look like typical baker, maybe he just inked? 

On 2/3/2022 at 11:07 PM, comicnoir said:

It might have gone for more with a bigger auction house. Does PBA report to GPA?

It would appear not to ? GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Edited by jimjum12

seven seas 4 ... interesting background description 

Baker was a favorite of savvy collectors of "Good Girl" comics in the early days of fandom. Sharp-eyed Baker fans honed their expertise by identifying his contributions to stories by other artists (Baker worked for the Iger Studio, a piecemeal comics mill, and he often added female figures to other artists' work to jazz it up). Most of Baker's pencils were inked by other hands, further obscuring his artistic authorship. Old-school comics hounds relished the challenge of untangling artist attribution mysteries in the pre-Internet era, and the ability to spot Baker's beauteous figures in a sea of Iger-employed imitators (including Jack Kamen) was a point of pride separating fanboys from fan-men. More recently, awareness of Baker's primacy among "Good Girl" artists has spread to modern day fans, aided by Ken Quattro's excellent book "Invisible Men: The Trailblazing Black Artists of Comic Books," and Jim Amash & Eric Nolan-Weathington's "Matt Baker: The Art of Glamour."

The fact that Baker was a black man rumored to have been gay or bisexual lends a zesty bit of tang to his legacy. As Stanford W. Carpenter writes in his pot-stirring intro to Quattro's book, "What do we make of these invisible Black men leading double lives as unsung participants in the construction of White power fantasies, White revenge fantasies, White beauty standards, and White desire?" Carpenter points out the irony of "a Black man making a living drawing idealized images of White women to satisfy the sexual desires of White men, some of whom would lynch a Black man for looking at an actual White woman." Looking at Baker's cover in this light, one wonders if the all-devouring great white shark represents the mainstream culture of the day, and the dusky-skinned South Sea Girl is a gender-swapped Baker surrogate struggling to survive in hostile waters? See also: "Faux Beau: The Secret Life of Matt Baker," PBA Comics Catalogue #3 (sale 745), Lot 132. PBA Galleries: 2021, p. 47. 

On 2/3/2022 at 11:07 PM, comicnoir said:

It might have gone for more with a bigger auction house. Does PBA report to GPA?

I would of put that book at 25k to 30k just looking what the market has been.I might be wrong but the classic covers have been on fire and that one is as classic as it gets :smile:

On 2/4/2022 at 6:43 AM, comicjack said:

I would of put that book at 25k to 30k just looking what the market has been.I might be wrong but the classic covers have been on fire and that one is as classic as it gets :smile:

Much smaller auction house , they had their cat running across the screen at one point. Cute but Probably less exposure for sure than heritage 

Edited by Changer