• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,509 posts in this topic

On 1/14/2022 at 4:04 PM, Rip said:

Bannannnas.$17,400.00

I remember when I bought a copy off a lady in Maine over the mail. About 8 years ago or so. It arrived with Cinderella Love 26 and 27 folded in half and put loose in a large envelope.

I paid $150 so I couldn't get to upset.

Love to find books in the wild.  Glad they arrived safely

On 1/14/2022 at 4:37 PM, Rip said:

Here's a pic, actually it wasn't folded too badly. The other ones were worse.

CinderellaLove25F_zps0212b104.jpg

Well-loved book and still a beauty.  I find a few romance books in this condition locally from time to time.  Other party thinks they are junky, and I just fall head over heels for them.

whoa ... this escalated quickly. Giant Comics Edition #6 (St. John, 1949) CGC FN+ 6.5 Off-white to | Lot #15431 | Heritage Auctions (ha.com)

was going to upgrade from my lowly copy but, oh well.

and this too.   Phantom Lady #13 (Fox, 1947) CBCS FN 6.0 Off-white to white | Lot #97194 | Heritage Auctions

such nice copies

Generally, the way the comic market recently it's as if like a whole bunch of people are playing with monopoly money. Now where do I get some? am I the only who missed on bitcoin ...lol 

Edited by Changer

On 1/16/2022 at 1:30 PM, Changer said:

whoa ... this escalated quickly. Giant Comics Edition #6 (St. John, 1949) CGC FN+ 6.5 Off-white to | Lot #15431 | Heritage Auctions (ha.com)

was going to upgrade from my lowly copy but, oh well.

and this too.   Phantom Lady #13 (Fox, 1947) CBCS FN 6.0 Off-white to white | Lot #97194 | Heritage Auctions

such nice copies

Generally, the way the comic market recently it's as if like a whole bunch of people are playing with monopoly money. Now where do I get some? am I the only who missed on bitcoin ...lol 

I'm still trying to figure out where all the money has come from.  If anyone can shed light on this issue, do share!

On 1/16/2022 at 12:53 PM, Vince G said:

I'm still trying to figure out where all the money has come from.  If anyone can shed light on this issue, do share!

If I were to venture a guess, I'd say new collectors seeing the headlines about comics being sold for large amounts of money, and established collectors cashing in and/or branching out into new segments.  Maybe high or highest in grade books being offered are lifting the tide for the lesser copies.  We all witnessed the most recent SA value climb, and GA could be catching up a bit.

On 1/16/2022 at 10:53 AM, Vince G said:

I wonder if some fine art collectors are turning their heads toward high end comic books/art . The high end fine art market has always been unbelievable prices 

On 1/16/2022 at 11:11 AM, Chief1332 said:

If I were to venture a guess, I'd say new collectors seeing the headlines about comics being sold for large amounts of money, and established collectors cashing in and/or branching out into new segments.  Maybe high or highest in grade books being offered are lifting the tide for the lesser copies.  We all witnessed the most recent SA value climb, and GA could be catching up a bit.

A little collector FOMO and the added publicity from the new highs promise collection has made probably didnt hurt 

Edited by Changer

On 1/16/2022 at 11:11 AM, Chief1332 said:

I know I have had to adjust my grade expectations a bit. I have always said a lower grade copy is better than no copy at all. I think a lot of collectors are doing the same thing. Better to get what you want while you still can. The ship has pretty much sailed for me on so much stuff.

I see “adjustments” coming (in all grades) just hard to say when. One thing for sure, there will no huge drops on key books. The folks who are “dabbling” are due for a big surprise when they go to cash in. I know of 2 local flippers who have already bailed.

Savvy and smart collectors will come out just fine.

So glad I got in early when a lot of stuff was off most people’s radar…

On 1/16/2022 at 2:11 PM, Chief1332 said:

No idea.  Could be the fine art people moving into comics, but I still think dumping 20k into a book is a lot of money.  Now many of these books are dropping for high 5 figures.  That's still quite a large sum of cash.  50k is a downpayment on a house or a fully loaded SUV purchased outright.

On 1/16/2022 at 9:36 PM, comicnoir said:

They weren't Baker, but this makes me feel a little better about some of my recent "what was I thinking" purchases.

i.e. The buyers (other than me) are out there for this kinda stuff.

On 1/16/2022 at 11:19 PM, manetteska said:

They weren't Baker, but this makes me feel a little better about some of my recent "what was I thinking" purchases.

i.e. The buyers (other than me) are out there for this kinda stuff.

"Honey, I admit I went a bit overboard with that Secret Wars #8 Spidey page, but did you *see* the crazy price on this Giant Comics Edition #6?"

On 12/20/2021 at 9:36 PM, BriD. said:

Two copies of this popped up on MCS last week. Sold quickly so I feel lucky :cool:

20211220_194242_HDR_(1).jpg

I'll have to see if I can find my copy. I paid $20 for my copy before the price explosion. It also wasn't advertised well.

On 1/16/2022 at 2:51 PM, Vince G said:

No idea.  Could be the fine art people moving into comics, but I still think dumping 20k into a book is a lot of money.  Now many of these books are dropping for high 5 figures.  That's still quite a large sum of cash.  50k is a downpayment on a house or a fully loaded SUV purchased outright.

Maybe some investors got rich on crypto and are moving over to comics.