• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,376 posts in this topic

On 2/13/2022 at 7:50 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Now I’m the high bidder

Seems like too much work to be playing in that mud hole.  If you actually won the book (which you already own), the seller sends you an empty box with tracking info, you file a "return", would you then be responsible for returning the book you already own?!  You better do a video unboxing at the post office with a postal employee witness, or better yet, don't bid.

On 2/13/2022 at 12:42 PM, Yorick said:

Seems like too much work to be playing in that mud hole.  If you actually won the book (which you already own), the seller sends you an empty box with tracking info, you file a "return", would you then be responsible for returning the book you already own?!  You better do a video unboxing at the post office with a postal employee witness, or better yet, don't bid.

Not the way I look at it. 

the way I look at it is I cannot wait for the seller to elevate the matter to eBay. This seems about the only way I see of actually catching the bad guy

On 2/13/2022 at 10:48 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Not the way I look at it. 

the way I look at it is I cannot wait for the seller to elevate the matter to eBay. This seems about the only way I see of actually catching the bad guy

Ah.  So you have no intention of paying?

I'm all for catching scammers, but they're hidden behind the iron curtain of ebay.

On 2/13/2022 at 1:51 PM, Yorick said:

Ah.  So you have no intention of paying?

I'm all for catching scammers, but they're hidden behind the iron curtain of ebay.

Things like that can get you an unpaid item, even though you are doing the right thing. I have two unpaid items (and so can't bid on some seller's things) for making offers with notes that seller's accept and don't follow through on. I sent a couple offers to sellers selling lots with nice books hidden in them that had local pickup as the only shipping option. In my note, I said only accept the offer if you are willing to ship the books and provide an invoice with a shipping charge. They don't respond and I get an "unpaid item" for something I wanted and tried to pay for. I am much more wary now about trying to deal with sellers that self-select as hard to deal with. Obviously this situation is different, as they are selling unique items, but as we all know its a scam, any amount of received monies, from their perspective, is probably enough to keep trying. But why risk picking up an unpaid item? There have now been several items that sold much under my high bids because I wait til last second and get my submission denied.

Point is, they are unlikely to get away with anything with the frequent reporting as the books they want to "sell" are always high profile, high-dollar books. Why put your account status on the line?

On 2/13/2022 at 3:05 PM, PeterPark said:

Things like that can get you an unpaid item, even though you are doing the right thing. I have two unpaid items (and so can't bid on some seller's things) for making offers with notes that seller's accept and don't follow through on. I sent a couple offers to sellers selling lots with nice books hidden in them that had local pickup as the only shipping option. In my note, I said only accept the offer if you are willing to ship the books and provide an invoice with a shipping charge. They don't respond and I get an "unpaid item" for something I wanted and tried to pay for. I am much more wary now about trying to deal with sellers that self-select as hard to deal with. Obviously this situation is different, as they are selling unique items, but as we all know its a scam, any amount of received monies, from their perspective, is probably enough to keep trying. But why risk picking up an unpaid item? There have now been several items that sold much under my high bids because I wait til last second and get my submission denied.

Point is, they are unlikely to get away with anything with the frequent reporting as the books they want to "sell" are always high profile, high-dollar books. Why put your account status on the line?

I guess I thought eBay would do the right thing, but that might be a foolish thought. It just seems wrong that there’s no way to focus eBay’s attention on obvious fraud

On 2/13/2022 at 1:15 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I guess I thought eBay would do the right thing, but that might be a foolish thought. It just seems wrong that there’s no way to focus eBay’s attention on obvious fraud

they definitely are slow and reactive, but I do think they pulled many of the listings this morning , although new ones keep pop up all the time. lol 

Edited by Changer

On 2/19/2022 at 11:28 PM, MBFan said:

Yup! I've already reported these to ebay. I'll keep reporting them as long as he keeps listing them. :sumo:  (Though admittedly it's kind of a full-time job.)

On 2/25/2022 at 9:31 AM, manetteska said:

It beats the pants off of my copy, but so does that price tag.

I like it, but not for that much (even with the lowered offer I think they had given later) ... which sadly I have to say often nowadays :( 

Edited by Changer