• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,326 posts in this topic

On 4/12/2022 at 8:44 PM, manetteska said:

Nice stealth buy. 

Yep... I hit the BIN about 10 seconds after it was listed. :shy:  The seller must be thinking "wow, western comics are RED HOT!!!" 

..Was in a PM conversation with another Boardie on this one. Whether than start a singular Thread thought i should inquire here:

While not noted on the label HA designates this a Baker cover in the lot listing. 

Any agreement?

thumbnail (14).jpeg

On 4/19/2022 at 8:22 AM, sagii said:

..Was in a PM conversation with another Boardie on this one. Whether than start a singular Thread thought i should inquire here:

While not noted on the label HA designates this a Baker cover in the lot listing. 

Any agreement?

thumbnail (14).jpeg

As much as it has his style, I would vote no. I don’t believe he was even working for FH at this point. 

On 4/19/2022 at 11:36 AM, Robot Man said:

As much as it has his style, I would vote no. I don’t believe he was even working for FH at this point. 

Yes, while it looks like his style, almost like the Seven Seas 6 cover girl imho, he was likely gone from FH by this time. 

Thanks for playing!(thumbsu

On 4/12/2022 at 7:38 PM, Ricksneatstuff said:

St John Baker pedigree books

If you know, are you able to say whether there will be more Promise copies?

On 4/19/2022 at 8:22 AM, sagii said:

Any agreement?

thumbnail (14).jpeg

Almost certain, that's a Robert Webb cover, not just interior art. He did a ton of work for fiction house, including covers, and often worked on the same issues as Baker. They do have a similar style, but those eyes are unmistakable. They have an intensity that is just slightly different than Baker and Kamen.

On 4/19/2022 at 3:06 PM, Joshua33 said:

Almost certain, that's a Robert Webb cover, not just interior art. He did a ton of work for fiction house, including covers, and often worked on the same issues as Baker. They do have a similar style, but those eyes are unmistakable. They have an intensity that is just slightly different than Baker and Kamen.

Another nay, (thumbsu

Very sharp eyes for artists style on these Boards. Not that familiar with Webb in comparison to Baker and Kamen, but Kamen would have been my call after Baker.

Thanks for the insight!

On 4/19/2022 at 3:25 PM, szav said:

Could be someone like Webb copying a Baker interior panel too and making a cover out of it. I’m in the I see elements but it just doesn’t look quite right camp.

Webb did seem to draw his women a little shorter and thicker than the other FH artists, so I see his style here too.

(thumbsu

Think the nays have it!

On 4/19/2022 at 12:25 PM, szav said:

Could be someone like Webb copying a Baker interior panel too and making a cover out of it. I’m in the I see elements but it just doesn’t look quite right camp.

Webb did seem to draw his women a little shorter and thicker than the other FH artists, so I see his style here too.

Exactly. These are more common and abundant than one would think. A lot of guys will conflate Webb for Baker covers, usually noting Crime Reporter as the comparable... but if you know the two artists well, it's easier to spot the copied style.

It's definitely not Baker.  It looks like a Doolin design with inks and finish by Webb.  

On 4/19/2022 at 9:05 PM, Point Five said:

If this is in my collection = for sure not Baker :sumo: 

If I'm selling this in the forum marketplace = "some attribute this cover to Baker"  :whistle: 

If I'm selling this on ebay = "classic Baker cover!!!" :banana: 

A Centerist :baiting: