• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lone Star Comics (MyComicShop.com) is robbing me! Need advice!
2 2

223 posts in this topic

I agree with your sentiment about the BBB, I am sure someone could present an example where they were helpful but in reality it is a membership driven oprganization.

Join and they add you to their list and see you again when dues are needed.

The board seems, to me at least, to be the best place to air this complaint.

It more than anywhere else reaches to the target audience for this speciifc complaint.

Besides I am sure someone with knowledge of Lone Star can fill us in on several Buddy stories in the mean time.

I seem to remember something about his volatile temperance.....

Well, the BBB worked for me a few years ago. I had bought a TV at Best Buy with an extended warranty. The TV broke and I had to use the warranty. Best Buy subs the work out to a local shop. The local shop fries the se trying to repair it, and then goes out of business. 3 months working with the shop and Best Buy to reach a resolution, and neither would do anything. Filed a complaint against Best Buy with the BBB. Three days later, a guy from corporate calls me, tells me I have a $3300 credit to get any new TV I want, and that a $500 gift card is in the mail for my trouble. All I have to do is complete a BBB survey that says Best Buy had resolved the problem.

I traded them $400 worth of comics. They gave me $200 in trade credit. And now they want to cash that out by giving me $100. And the thing is, many of the books have already sold.

I used to trade books with them a few years back, and as I recall you have to decide up front whether you want cash or credit. What would your total have been if you had chosen cash instead of credit? hm

$100. He wants to pay me as if I had selected cash instead of credit, thus "convert" my credit to cash.

I'm betting that they probably don't have a written policy for converting trades into cash. I would point this out to him and continue to negotiate.

There isn't a written policy. I pointed this out, and he didn't care...

I trade with Lone Star all the time. It's up front that they offer you a figure for trade and one that is roughly 50% of the trade price for cash.

If they ban you, then logically they won't sell you any more items which means that they convert what trade credit you have into the agreed upon exchange rate for cash.

I think they should honor their trade credit with you and allow you to make one final

purchase, though.

However, to say that they've made a profit off your books already is ridiculous. Of course they have and of course they will. That's the entire reason they're buying from you. Someone else has it in their want list or they know they can sell it for more than they buy it from you.

What you're neglecting to say is that for certain books, the trade value FAR exceeds what you can buy it for from other venues. For instance, I used to pick up say... Flash: Iron Heights for $2 and sell it to them for $15 in trade. I sold them Spawn #1s for $4.80 in trade. They are NOT robbing you on every trade. Most of my trades are in my favor actually... even for the cash value.

(I use the trade value to buy slabbed books off their site... some of which are PRICED BELOW GPA.... so that's another tidbit.)

Good luck.

Here is another funny part to this story. Beth Woodward handles Lone Stars customer service and returns. A few weeks went by and I hadn't heard anything about my return, so I contacted her.

She responds that Buddy looked at the book and said it was graded correctly, so no return shipping credit. I found it odd that a book so obviously not NM, would be graded by Buddy as so. So I asked her to contact Buddy.

Buddy responded that I was being unreasonable, that he wold credit for the book, I didn't have to return it, but not to buy from them again (but I could still send in my trades for cash).

Wait a minute... back up.

Beth told me he looked at the book and decided it was graded correctly. Buddy is telling me I can keep the book, and I don't have to return it.

If he looked at it like Beth said, how could I have the book? Obviously Beth was telling me one thing and Buddy was telling me another. Buddy's e-mail made it sound like Beth told him that I wanted a credit for the book, without returning it, and that I was demanding they go that route.

So I e-mailed him back and pointed out the two contradictory stories. I told him I thought this might all just be a miscommunication, and asked him to look into it with Beth.

A week went by with no response, and then he just suddenly responds that I am too strict on grading, too difficult a customer (I guess one issue in 4 years is too much), and that they won't do any more business with me.

I have asked him repeatedly if he actually did look at the book like Beth claimed, and he has ignored it every time I asked.

I think two things set him off, and he has just flown off the handle:

• I pointed out their contradictory stories
  • Buddy wanted to call me at home one evening to discuss my return shipping credit, and I explained that I work 10 hour days, and after work I have two hours to spend with my 15 month old and 1 hour to spend with my wife. I didn't feel that I needed to talk with him on the phone about something as cut and dry as a return shipping credit for a misgraded item and my time was better spent with them (FYI, my son is napping now, or I wouldn't be posting this).

and if people are letting it slide because of "good" prices they are wrong also.

I hear what you're saying, and definitely agree that if everything we're hearing here is true then Lone Star needs to do the right thing. But in the case where I disagreed with Lone Star's grading, I didn't let it slide because the prices were good; I let it slide because some of the other books in that same order were significantly under-graded, and also because it just wasn't worth the hassle to return what amounted to a handful of dollar books that, to me at least, were still priced right for their actual grade.

And for what it's worth, my 2c : Lone Star is, basically, a big box on-line retailer. Whenever I deal with businesses like that (for comics or anything else), my expectations regarding customer service are generally pretty low. That doesn't mean they should get a free pass to rip people off, or be unreasonable and unyielding when dealing with customers...but given the nature of their business, the huge inventory, the number of people who handle it, and the high volumes involved, I say you pays yer money and takes yer chances when ordering from them, and hope that the big selection and click-and-buy convenience outweigh the hassles when something inevitably goes wrong...

Anyway, good luck with the resolution. I hope they get it right for ya! :wishluck:

I trade with Lone Star all the time. It's up front that they offer you a figure for trade and one that is roughly 50% of the trade price for cash.

If they ban you, then logically they won't sell you any more items which means that they convert what trade credit you have into the agreed upon exchange rate for cash.

I think they should honor their trade credit with you and allow you to make one final

purchase, though.

However, to say that they've made a profit off your books already is ridiculous. Of course they have and of course they will. That's the entire reason they're buying from you. Someone else has it in their want list or they know they can sell it for more than they buy it from you.

What you're neglecting to say is that for certain books, the trade value FAR exceeds what you can buy it for from other venues. For instance, I used to pick up say... Flash: Iron Heights for $2 and sell it to them for $15 in trade. I sold them Spawn #1s for $4.80 in trade. They are NOT robbing you on every trade. Most of my trades are in my favor actually... even for the cash value.

(I use the trade value to buy slabbed books off their site... some of which are PRICED BELOW GPA.... so that's another tidbit.)

Good luck.

Well, unfortunately that wasn't the case for me and rarely ever happens. You also don't point out the amount the overcharge on many books (like $100 at one point for the first appearance of Spoiler, and they were paying $1.60 in trade). Also, many CGC books that GPA for $200 are $350 on Lonestar's site.

There are extremes both ways and they cancel out IMHO.

No offense to the OP, but we need to hear the other side of the story before slamming somebody who's been in the business for years and years.

And in my experience, store trade credit is never worth as much as cash. The ratio might not be 2:1, but still.

purchase, though.

Good luck.

Well, unfortunately that wasn't the case for me and rarely ever happens. You also don't point out the amount the overcharge on many books (like $100 at one point for the first appearance of Spoiler, and they were paying $1.60 in trade). Also, many CGC books that GPA for $200 are $350 on Lonestar's site.

There are extremes both ways and they cancel out IMHO.

I don't trade with them if it's not in my favor. It's not rare. It happens ALL the time. They don't force me to trade with them.

Also, I tend not to buy ridiculously overpriced books. They're not forcing me to do that either. Not all their books are overpriced. Not all of them are underpriced either.

They don't cancel out if you don't let it.

I sympathize with your situation though and I hope they make it right. (thumbs u

The problem is, you did business with Lone Star.

Buddy's PR skills are a joke. Loser with a capitol L.

I'd tell him I want my books back since he's changing the rules on the deal you agreed to.

I knew he was a loser without social skills, but if he's giving up on your business because you returned a few books due to his grading skills, then he's a *forking* eediot.

:screwy:

I think I would have stated this a bit more diplomatically (although "forking" was a nice touch), but I am with you in spirit.

It seems very short-sighted to me to stop selling to someone who buys a lot and sells you books at 1/4 market....

That was more diplomatic then anything I could have come up with........

I trade books( :gossip: junk) to Lone Star frequently, and these are some facts:

You can select trade or cash and cash is usually 50% of the trade value.

The grading is usually pretty bad. If not really bad.

Buddy will ban you for returning books. I don't think this is always a problem. I get the feeling it is only if Buddy is involved, I don't think he likes being told that he can't grade.

I think it was SilverandBronze that posted a couple of years ago about some Archies he returned and was consequently banned. He would have to varify that though as I'm going by memory about who it was.

I wish people would quit saying "It's only $100 dollars" To some people that is a hell of a lot of money, and it is about the GD principle anyway. The buyer should be allowed to fullfill the trade value in trade since that is what the original agreement was. If Buddy wants out of the agreement, he should buy out at 100% cash.

Edited by MCMiles

While I only skimmed the thread it makes me wonder how some places keep their doors open treating long time customers like this.

As mentioned earlier it would be nice if Buddy came here and offered up his side of the story and the rational behind how this was handled. Not that I dont believe shakespear, but it sure would be a good read to see him explain this away. :popcorn:

If anything post him a link to this thread so he can see how mis handling even one customer can trickle down more then he might think. Sticking to your story can sometimes be more harmful then just admiting you messed up and moving on.

All of this over $200? Hope it was worth it to him.

Good luck

I trade books( :gossip: junk) to Lone Star frequently, and these are some facts:

You can select trade or cash and cash is usually 50% of the trade value.

The grading is usually pretty bad. If not really bad.

Buddy will ban you for returning books. I don't think this is always a problem. I get the feeling it is only if Buddy is involved, I don't think he likes being told that he can't grade.

I think it was SilverandBronze that posted a couple of years ago about some Archies he returned and was consequently banned. He would have to varify that though as I'm going by memory about who it was.

I wish people would quit saying "It's only $100 dollars" To some people that is a hell of a lot of money, and it is about the GD principle anyway. The buyer should be allowed to fullfill the trade value in trade since that is what the original agreement was. If Buddy wants out of the agreement, he should buy out at 100% cash.

Some good points. I am part of the "I cant afford to lose $100.00 club"

And Mikey, I hear what you are saying. But my thoughts on someone who is mad because there grading is off, shouldnt be in business. Jonjespar said it best already.

The problem is, you did business with Lone Star.

Buddy's PR skills are a joke. Loser with a capitol L.

I'd tell him I want my books back since he's changing the rules on the deal you agreed to.

I knew he was a loser without social skills, but if he's giving up on your business because you returned a few books due to his grading skills, then he's a *forking* eediot.

:screwy:

I think I would have stated this a bit more diplomatically (although "forking" was a nice touch), but I am with you in spirit.

It seems very short-sighted to me to stop selling to someone who buys a lot and sells you books at 1/4 market....

That was more diplomatic then anything I could have come up with........

:roflmao::headbang:

The buyer should be allowed to fullfill the trade value in trade since that is what the original agreement was. If Buddy wants out of the agreement, he should buy out at 100% cash.

Someone please send this to "Buddy".

You know when I first go tback into buying comics about 4-5 years ago I picked up an Avengers #4 that was listed as I think a 6.0. Held it for a few months and made it my first submission to CGC. It came back a 4.5 and I decided to email Lonestar just to get their feedback (wasn't asking for a refund). Buddy offered me a full refund with no questions asked and mailed me a cheque. I was very impressed. (shrug)

As far as the "its only $100" I'm not saying he can't be pissed and air his grievence, but to take the time from his job and go to court over it or hire a lawyer is a bit much over $100 in the end. Its also a bit much that LS comics would do this over $100.

It goes both ways.

As far as the "its only $100" I'm not saying he can't be pissed and air his grievence, but to take the time from his job and go to court over it or hire a lawyer is a bit much over $100 in the end. Its also a bit much that LS comics would do this over $100.

It goes both ways.

(thumbs u

Whatever happened to 'the customer is always right!'

This philosophy is long dead in this country. We, as a nation, not necessarily here, are all about looking out for number one. I just went round and round with Shocker Toys after buying a cruddy SCUD figure from them. The paint job was less than perfect and when I politely wrote and asked about replacing it, I got one hateful email after another until I presented them with pictures. Then, they agreed to replace it. I sent the emails, both good and bad, so it would be clear who I was. After more than a month, they sent back a figure with my emails ripped in half and wadded up. Shocker Toys a joke.....and a bad one at that.......

Anyway, I hope you end up happier than I did.

Oh, and by the way, the told me never to darken their door again. A week later I got a solicitation for their new Maxx figure!

lol

It goes both ways.

Yes, but from where I am at, everything went Buddy's way. He got his book back, so if he insists that is his NM, he will resell it and not be out anything. he has also sold some of my books and made a profit on them.

I am out returning shipping for that one return, and out $100. A could have got a slab off him that GPA's for ~$200 with my $200. Now to get the same slab, I have to give him all those books, and still fork over $100 out of my pocket.

Absolutely nothing going my way... and everything going his, all because of his grading mistake and his decision to terminate doing business with me.

Update:

I just got an e-mail from Buddy. He has agreed to allow me a one time purchase for the remaining amount of credit, on CGC books only, and to issue credit to cover the outstanding books they have not credited me for, for the return shipping credits owed me, and for the books I have not mailed them back yet, with the understanding I do return them.

He agreed to this because I would not be able to question grading any further, as they are CGC graded. I'm supposed to thank whoever proposed the idea.

Still not a happy ending, but not an ending where I am totally shafted...

Edited by Broken Shakespear