• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Fantasy #15 Club

7,730 posts in this topic

I think I can sell my copy for $150k.. Before I won the book at auction I was already offered $125k to flip to the other buyer but declined. Mind you this was last year

I agree with that with the PQ.

If I were pricing my 8.0, I'd ask 100k even (the high end of GAtor's estimate).

You have a gorgeous 8.0! Offwhite - white pages if I remember correctly? I def. would price it at $100k

Yep it is OW to W. Remember the historical litho that I had printed? The guy that purchased it off the stands died in '73 in an auto accident.

Great story great book.

I will never see the 100k because my son loves comics more than me and he knows if will be his one day. Can't beat that DK. (thumbs u

I think I can sell my copy for $150k.. Before I won the book at auction I was already offered $125k to flip to the other buyer but declined. Mind you this was last year

I agree with that with the PQ.

If I were pricing my 8.0, I'd ask 100k even (the high end of GAtor's estimate).

You have a gorgeous 8.0! Offwhite - white pages if I remember correctly? I def. would price it at $100k

Yep it is OW to W. Remember the historical litho that I had printed? The guy that purchased it off the stands died in '73 in an auto accident.

Great story great book.

That's right! I forgot about the history behind that book! Awesome copy for sure (thumbs u Your son is a lucky guy!!!! I wish my pops had his books back then :cry:

I will never see the 100k because my son loves comics more than me and he knows if will be his one day. Can't beat that DK. (thumbs u

I agree there is a premium for ow or better over cr/ow but very few folks would pay a premium for w vs ow or ow/w (always exceptions)

I think you could push a nice 7.5 to 65k but I doubt any non potential copy would sniff 75k right now. Just as it is unlikely a non potential 7.0 is sniffing 50k right (as evidenced by multiple available copies in the low 40's that havent sold)

I agree there is a premium for ow or better over cr/ow but very few folks would pay a premium for w vs ow or ow/w (always exceptions)

I think you could push a nice 7.5 to 65k but I doubt any non potential copy would sniff 75k right now. Just as it is unlikely a non potential 7.0 is sniffing 50k right (as evidenced by multiple available copies in the low 40's that havent sold)

Maybe in an auction format at a reputable auction house where more buyers outside the boards can make their bids may generate higher realized prices as evidenced not just on AF 15's, but on other books.. Tec 31, Cap 1, etc.

few folks would pay a premium for w vs ow or ow/w (always exceptions)

That surprises me. I thought "White" on the label caught people's attention. It catches mine, but I'm not in the $50K + market.

Just as it is unlikely a non potential 7.0 is sniffing 50k right (as evidenced by multiple available copies in the low 40's that havent sold)

Bad news for three people with current sale threads! :D

Maybe in an auction format at a reputable auction house where more buyers outside the boards can make their bids may generate higher realized prices as evidenced not just on AF 15's, but on other books.. Tec 31, Cap 1, etc.

We pay auction houses and major known dealers 10-20% to attract those type sales. However I don't think I could sell an 8.5 for 150k anymore than a private owner/collector/board member could. So it is still really only "worth" 125 ish to us

That surprises me. I thought "White" on the label caught people's attention. It catches mine, but I'm not in the $50K + market.

Just as it is unlikely a non potential 7.0 is sniffing 50k right (as evidenced by multiple available copies in the low 40's that havent sold)

We can hype "white" amongst ourselves and we do. But most know that real world some % of folks (90+ is my guess) wouldn't know white from ow if their life depended on it.

It is cool and my guess is 100% of sane folks would choose w over ow designated books if visibly the same ...but I don't believe the avg buyer cares (or even understands) a pricing diff ... Just my opinion

We can hype "white" amongst ourselves and we do. But most know that real world some % of folks (90+ is my guess) wouldn't know white from ow if their life depended on it.

It is cool and my guess is 100% of sane folks would choose w over ow designated books if visibly the same ...but I don't believe the avg buyer cares (or even understands) a pricing diff ... Just my opinion

I agree with you GAtor. I've had a W paged book that I busted open and resubbed. Came back OW to W. If CGC sees any edge toning etc they will downgrade to OW-W. You can thumb that same book to page 10 and compare it to an idential W paged copy and both may be identical and mpossible to differentiate. I've seen both so I know. I used to think W pages were much better that OW to W. Not true at all. No question I would rather see the W label other than the OW label on my book. (thumbs u

I know this won't sit so well with some but I have had a previous cr/ow book pressed and regraded and it was given W. and like peewee I have had W books pressed and regraded and gotten one cr/ow. So it is subjective and pq can and will change from time to time.

My point is ow or better is desirable over cr/ow when it comes to sa but I rarely see any pricing diff or premiums on ow or ow/w or w

It's weird but true.. I had a book that was graded as having white pages.. After a resub, it went down to OW-W, then finally on a third re-sub, it went back to having white pages.. I don't get it

Best thing to do, when you have a WP book, never resub, leave as is. (thumbs u

It's weird but true.. I had a book that was graded as having white pages.. After a resub, it went down to OW-W, then finally on a third re-sub, it went back to having white pages.. I don't get it

Exactly (thumbs u

I know this won't sit so well with some but I have had a previous cr/ow book pressed and regraded and it was given W. and like peewee I have had W books pressed and regraded and gotten one cr/ow. So it is subjective and pq can and will change from time to time.

My point is ow or better is desirable over cr/ow when it comes to sa but I rarely see any pricing diff or premiums on ow or ow/w or w

The market will see a WP book superior over a lower PQ book and will value it a bit more. Just as a 9.2 will be price higher than a 9.0. The FMV will be price on the label and the overall structure and appeal of the book. There are books that I've got graded should deserve the WP designation and some I do not think garner the WP designation...and certain books a bit over graded or under graded. That's why folks regrade their books to attain a higher assign grade, I do agree, PQ from OW/W could be W one day and W can be OW/W. I agree, a SA book in CRM/OW loose appeal and some pool of buyers, but a OW/W or a WP more appealing. Nonetheless, certain superior WP book will represent better than other WP book.

Top keys books and especially AF15's people will scrutinize every corner, chip, centering, and PQ. Books in the higher end pool will be the culprit.

Especially the longer it has been since the book was first slabbed. Some of the changes in PQ with resubbing reflect the difficulty of grading accurately. Some downgrades in PQ, though, may actually reflect deterioration over time in the book. Just because a book is slabbed doesn't make it immune to poor storage practices -- or natural aging.

The market will see a WP book superior over a lower PQ book and will value it a bit more. Just as a 9.2 will be price higher than a 9.0. The FMV will be price on the label and the overall structure and appeal of the book. There are books that I've got graded should deserve the WP designation and some I do not think garner the WP designation...and certain books a bit over graded or under graded. That's why folks regrade their books to attain a higher assign grade, I do agree, PQ from OW/W could be W one day and W can be OW/W. I agree, a SA book in CRM/OW loose appeal and some pool of buyers, but a OW/W or a WP more appealing. Nonetheless, certain superior WP book will represent better than other WP book.

Why does anyone, or everyone, blather on about the CGC label designation about PQ. In my opinion it is almost useless, useful but almost useless.

The cover paper quality is 100 times more important than the interior pages PQ. CGC is describing their opinion of the interior pages. It appears to me that the cover paper quality is only judged by CGC as a factor in the overall grade of the book. There are examples available of books with labels showing OW/W pages, yet the grade is low due to poor cover paper quality.

It should not be a guessing game for us to figure out what the cover paper is like by the CGC grade. If that is what they are doing, I think that is stupid, it's an injustice to buyers and collectors who attempt to decide whether a book will last a long time for the future, and for resale.

My point is that I have no desire to own a brittle cover paper book, or anything with cover PQ that you might describe with any other fragile adjective.

Everyone is assuming that the label PQ(interior page paper quality) is the same as the cover PQ. That is a horrible assumption to make. I have seen several comics that came out of CGC slabs that have poor cover PQ, yet the label listed the interior PQ as white, or OW/W, or OW. I have not seen as many books as I'm sure the majority of big members here, so why is this such an unspoken subject?

For the cost of these books, for long term keepers, I would think everyone would take them out of the slabs to see the actual total book PQ, the condition of the cover paper, not just the CGC label which doesn't accurately convey what the cover paper is.

Why does anyone, or everyone, blather on about the CGC label designation about PQ. In my opinion it is almost useless, useful but almost useless.

The cover paper quality is 100 times more important than the interior pages PQ. CGC is describing their opinion of the interior pages. It appears to me that the cover paper quality is only judged by CGC as a factor in the overall grade of the book. There are examples available of books with labels showing OW/W pages, yet the grade is low due to poor cover paper quality.

It should not be a guessing game for us to figure out what the cover paper is like by the CGC grade. If that is what they are doing, I think that is stupid, it's an injustice to buyers and collectors who attempt to decide whether a book will last a long time for the future, and for resale.

My point is that I have no desire to own a brittle cover paper book, or anything with cover PQ that you might describe with any other fragile adjective.

Everyone is assuming that the label PQ(interior page paper quality) is the same as the cover PQ. That is a horrible assumption to make. I have seen several comics that came out of CGC slabs that have poor cover PQ, yet the label listed the interior PQ as white, or OW/W, or OW. I have not seen as many books as I'm sure the majority of big members here, so why is this such an unspoken subject?

For the cost of these books, for long term keepers, I would think everyone would take them out of the slabs to see the actual total book PQ, the condition of the cover paper, not just the CGC label which doesn't accurately convey what the cover paper is.

I'd love to bust my AF15 out and see all the characteristics about it, inside and outside. But I don't have the balls. :o

I figure the only people to see my book were the OO (who died in the car crash in '73), his parents (maybe), HA, and CGC. hm

I'd love to bust my AF15 out and see all the characteristics about it, inside and outside. But I don't have the balls. :o

I figure the only people to see my book were the OO (who died in the car crash in '73), his parents (maybe), HA, and CGC. hm

I also do not have the balls to do something like that. The only one I know inside and out is the raw copy I bought many years ago.

I did bust out a 6.0, a 7.0 and a 7.5 but that's back when they were 5 figure books. lol

A nice 8.0 (which is what I now own) could potentially push six figures, making my fingers nervously tremble upon handling. :o