• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just saw the new Batman movie

214 posts in this topic

i think Tommy Lee Jones should have come back as Two-Face. :P

Tommy Lee's Two-Face got destroyed by the new version in the Dark Knight. Leder's Joker was amazing, but this new Harvey Dent was nothing short of sensational IMO. I came into the movie expecting a terrific depiction of the Joker, and I ended up getting that, and an added bonus of a Dent make-over that made the movie all-the-better.

A friend got me a ticket to the 12:05 a.m. show last night. Got home at 3:30 a.m. 90 minutes sleep and off to work, golly I'm tired. Movie was amazing, Heath was the best comic character screen villan ever, reminded me of Teabag from Prison Break (great TV show). Two Face was a great villian also, I just don't understand why a superhero movie needs to be 2.5 hours long and feature multiple villans.

Great movie, perhaps best superhero movie ever made. Certainly a must see movie. Enjoy. BTW I've gotta see it again to catch the parts I missed when I dozed off around 2:00 a.m.

I can totally relate to your situation about sleep after the movie. I got about 2 hours of sleep, and then was a zombie at work today. However, a 2.5 hour movie is nothing to frown upon. I would have loved a 4 hour movie. Why do people complain about the length of great films?

Great Movie. Really great. Everything good about it has already been said and I agree. The 2.5 hour length didn't bother me simply because I liked it and was in to the film.

Sure Katie Holmes is cuter, but Maggie Gyllenhaal has a certain sex appeal to me, and I bet she is a lot better in the bedroom.

As far as the idea that Wayne and Dent wouldn't be interested in the character because her looks were sub-par. That's ridiculous. Obviously two of the most powerfull men in Gotham would not/do not have any problem getting a "hot" piece at any given time. Maybe two intelligent men who share the same desire to clean up and protect Gotham as MGs character, are attracted to her for more than just her looks.

The worst performance was probably Eric Roberts.

Just saw DK at a press screening. What struck me most about the film was that it had something that virtually no other super-hero flick has had previously - ambition.

If there were any flaws, it would be that certain plot points had to be shorthanded as the film makers were trying to cram too much into the movie. The performances, set pieces, the look of the film and the -script were way better than expected and were a quantum leap from Batman Begins.

The film certainly owed at least some of its story to The Long Halloween (one of my favorite Batman stories) but nevertheless managed to combine the spirit of comics and film noir whilst transcending the genre.

Very little pointless attempts at humor, clever plot-twists, no soft-rock soundtrack, believable character development and action sequences...not the best film ever, but IMO the best super-hero film so far. And Ledger deserves the hype.

Well said, Andy...

I saw it this afternoon in a fairly empty theater (i was surprised - even bought my tickets with a credit card online beforehand).

Simply excellent film making, IMHO. Great acting all around, Chicago used for the city scenes, lots of mayhem, some nice plot twists, Cool Toys for Bats, and constant intensity.

Sorry to add that i too, was astounded by how unattractive Rachel Dawes was. That chick is just a notch below Kirsten Dunst on the all time comic movie unattractive female list... :o I even asked the bride if she thought that was the type of girl that a Christian Bale or Aaron Eckhart would likely be fighting over. a minor point, to be sure, but one that kept nagging at me after todays discussion and photos........

Headed out now for an 8pm showing! :D

We got there approx 20min. early and dealt w/ only minimal line-standing. Saw someone try to "sneak" in a giant bottle of water in plain sight, seriously like a 1Qt bottle! Who does that, in plain sight -- really?

Security guy: "Ma'am your cannot bring outside food, or beverage into the theater."

B^tchy gal: "Oh really?! Why is that, can you give me one good reason why that is?"

Security guy: "... because we don't allow outside food, or beverage into the theater!"

lol After we nabbed seats, I jumped back out to take a leak and she was still debating it w/ the guy by the ticket takers!

Really happened, no joke! (thumbs u

Theater was jam-packed, maybe only 6-8 single seats left in the whole joint! This one definately stood up to the hype. Good story (though long), great action and I agree, the performance of our villains definately made this one! No post-credit Easter Eggs though... meh

Just seen the Dark Knight. Now wasn't that a fantastic experience. This has to be the best movie this year. Great acting by everyone. Especially Ledger as the Joker. While watching this movie I kept thinking that I wish this movie didn't end. I wanted to see more. I guess I'm one of the few that didn't think the movie was too long.

If you haven't seen it yet. See it in the theater.

SPOILER ALERT!

I found the movie to be poorly executed during several scenes which seemed to be incomplete. The easiest example is the scene in which the Joker is pursuing Harvey Dent. For the big "action scene" that it was suppose to be it was rather dull and even at one point seemed to have been just dumped into the editing room and the soundtrack and foley artists completely forgotten.

Ironman was about the same length and was much easier to endure than this movie. This movie was far too long and could have easily had 30-45 minutes cut from it specifically scenes involving Rachel and the "fund raiser" scene for Harvey Dent.

Heath was fine as the Joker as I like that the Joker was truly a sociopath rather than some joke cracking doofus like Nicholson or Romero.

I still have the same complaint about Christian Bale. I think he is fine for Batman, looks wise, but he has a horrible lisp that is really difficult to get past especially when he uses the dumb voice while in costume. I really wish they wouldn't have him use a different voice while in costume.

The "Bat Bike" is a waste of a prop as they seemed to have a hard time really portraying any true speed with the thing and it just looks clunky and awkward.

Overall the movie was fine and admittingly it was slightly difficult to get it out of my head everytime I saw Heath that he's now dead.

on a five point scale I'm looking at a 3 for this one but I'm sure fanboys everywhere are going to wet their pants over it just like they did the first one. (I'd give the first one a 3 and a half)

Completely disagree with you about the big "action scene". Did you see it in IMAX perchance? I believe this was one of the sequences shot in IMAX so maybe it has more punch with the BIG screen.

Just came back from seeing the movie and all I can say is....and the oscar goes to...Heath Ledger. That's the first character that scared me...really. Two-face wasn't bad either.

okay. just saw it. Earlier than I usual do. My take is that the first half was a lickety split engrossing thriller, a cops movie with, um, a guy in a bat suit thrown in. But they laid layers upon layer of story, characters and plot elements. Then the Joker shows up and you start grinning cause he nails it. He's off the wall and funny and totally takes over every scene. Loved the Joker and the nurse scenes!

but, theres always a but isnt there? But by the end I felt like I was watching Spidey 3 again. I wont go into details.... also many of the fight chase and battle scenes just were too long or unnecessary. I wasnt looking at my watch, but it started to drag.

On the positive, both films created a bat-,man that just about makes sense. The best part for me was that it was a great movie for most of it until it finally succumbed to being a superhero movie. Let Batman be! without having to explain himself or his place in society for once. It struggles to translate to the screen.

go see it!

SPOILERS INCLUDED!

I saw the movie last night, and frankly it just didn't work for me. Don't get me wrong, it's good and worth seeing, but I was expecting soooo much more...

The good: as everyone has said, Ledger was a great Joker. Just a terrifying character. You kept looking for some slight hint of humanity, but it wasn't there...a complete sociopath. And of course that's the way the Joker should be. As a story about the Joker, the movie is a wild success.

The rest:

I totally disagree that the movie has a good look to it. There was no effort to recreate Gotham...it takes place in an ugly, modern American metropolis. Major disappointment for me that kept bugging me through every scene.

I was also turned off by the action scenes. Do I really want to see standard over-the-top car chases and heavy firearm battles in a Batman movie? No I don't. Works in the Matrix movies, not in a Batman movie. I want to see Batman stalking through a dark cityscape and swooping around with a flowing cape, not flying around in a ridiculous looking Batcar and Batcycle.

I was conflicted about the Harvey Dent arc. I thought it was well done, but I would have rather seen the time they spent developing his character spent developing Batman's character. This should have been a movie about Batman vs. the Joker, but instead it was a movie about the Joker vs. Harvey Dent and Gordon and Batman. Dent's story could have been its own movie, no doubt about it. It added interest to this one, but at a cost.

For some reason, Christian Bale just didn't work as well for me this time around. I really liked him in Batman Begins, so I'm not sure what the problem was (my girlfriend felt the same way). Maybe it's that he came across as whiny and mopey this time around--a little too much like Tobey Maguire's Spidey. Alfred had to keep slapping him around. Or maybe it's because there was just too much else going on to really let Bale flesh out Wayne and Batman.

The worst sin of the movie? I just don't like Batman's costume, and especially his mask. It's rounded and campy looking to me, not dark and scary. And apparently the idea of a cape was just too difficult to pull off, so it's as if he doesn't have one except when they need it to pop out so he can glide.

Lot's to like, but way too many flaws for me. Still waiting for the perfect depiction of Batman...

Just came back from seeing the movie and all I can say is....and the oscar goes to...Heath Ledger. That's the first character that scared me...really. Two-face wasn't bad either.

i also forgot to add last night that my College Sophomore bound daughter saw it with a bunch of girlfriends out at a drive-in around Bethlehem Pa. Not only did they all love it, but she called to ask if she could sleep on the floor in our room as the movie had scared her so much... :o

and, John T.; this just goes to show that nomovie will ever appeal to everyone completely- just impossible.

I also didn't particularly care for Batman's Mask, or his speaking voice, or the Batmobile/Cycle, or Rachel Dawes, but the rest was so friggin overwhelmingly good that they seemed small prices to pay.........

The worst performance was probably Eric Roberts.

I agree that Roberts wasn't so great, but the worst performance in the movie was the SWAT passenger they kept showing (Nicky Katt) in the middle of the movie. He was uncredited in the film, but I recognize him from the movie Boiler Room. He had multiple scenes in the Dark Knight.