• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Showcase #4

427 posts in this topic

Showcase #4 needs a movie to come out to get a spark again. That being said, I think the biggest problem is that the prices are already so high that a movie would not give it much of a bump. Showcase #22, on the other hand, is still relatively cheap (probably the 2nd best SA DC key behind #4) and has a lot of room to go up. Add in the fact that there is currently a low supply of #22 available and you have a hot book.

The #4 in 8.0 VF up there is one of the nicest around. It looks better than some 9s !! I still have not figured out CGC's consistency techniques in grading yet.

It is an old label book so it is probably a bit better in both grade and page quality.

Showcase #4 needs a movie to come out to get a spark again. That being said, I think the biggest problem is that the prices are already so high that a movie would not give it much of a bump. Showcase #22, on the other hand, is still relatively cheap (probably the 2nd best SA DC key behind #4) and has a lot of room to go up. Add in the fact that there is currently a low supply of #22 available and you have a hot book.

The #4 in 8.0 VF up there is one of the nicest around. It looks better than some 9s !! I still have not figured out CGC's consistency techniques in grading yet.

You're looking at a scan of a book encased in plastic.

There is an 8.0 and a 4.5 Ep on Comiclink. Is there any interest out there or has 22 become so hot that it is the one to own now?

#22 is definitely where all the sheeple are piling into right now.

Another 7.0 with MR recently sold for around $1700.

I guess, it would cost about $1500 to $2200, to own a lower to higher midgraded restored #4.

hm

I guess, it would cost about $1500 to $2200, to own a lower to higher midgraded restored #4.

hm

Don't do it, John - now that you have an unrestored copy of #22 on the way you might as well stay the course and pick up an unrestored #4 down the road. No need to mix and match blue and purple labels! lol

hm

Don't do it, John - now that you have an unrestored copy of #22 on the way you might as well stay the course and pick up an unrestored #4 down the road. No need to mix and match blue and purple labels! lol

I totally agree (thumbs u

Depends however on the money you have available and are willing to spend ...

hm

That's why you take them out of the case.

Here's a scan of my copy to share (which I will never sell, unless to upgrade). I've owned it for a good while, but I had a hard time finding one in a decent grade that wasn't overpriced. My opinion is the book's value does rise on the slow side, but will not decrease at any time in the future.

Since most collectors consider it the start of the Silver Age (myself included), I would interpret that to the scarcity of the book in higher grades. Those who do have HG copies would really rather not sell, so they price them at "offers they can't refuse."

Although it may not look like anything special, it's one of my favorite books in my collection, and oddly, it was published about the time I was born, which may have some kind of weird connection with my affinity for it. (shrug)

2rzv1au.jpg

Thats a beautiful copy, its too bad about that LLFC. I cant imagine you ll find much better then that.

There is an 8.0 and a 4.5 Ep on Comiclink. Is there any interest out there or has 22 become so hot that it is the one to own now?

#22 is definitely where all the sheeple are piling into right now.

True, but SC #22 had a ton of room to go up for a long time now. It is funny talking to collectors at SDCC and here locally that have always wanted the book but never bothered to pick up a copy since prices were stagnant. Now that they are moving up long time fans have to jump in before prices hit the new and higher plateau.

Also, when you look at major SA DC keys there are really only 3 books - SC #4 and #22, and B&B #28 (Superman and Batman did not have any major keys during this period). You can also add in Adventure #247, I guess, but since I never grew up reading the LOSH it holds little relevance to me. Out of these four books, only SC #4 has really hit a decent value level and Adventure #247 is close already IMHO as well. B&B #28 and SC #22 are still undervalued relatively speaking and were due for a run up sooner or later.

Here is my copy of Showcase 4. It has Minor AMATUER restoration in that there was color added to the spine that bled through. I would add Showcase 8, JLA1, Jimmy 1, Lois 1 to the list of DC Silver Age Keys.

Here are scans of front, backand inside of the book

showcase4.jpg

showcase4b.jpg

showcase4in.jpg