• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Showcase #4

427 posts in this topic

PM Ze-man. He works with Matt Nelson and although it's tough to tell from a scan he might be able to give you a better idea.

I'd say VG to Fine range IMOif the paper is wrinkled and worn. It'll be impossible to make it "feel" like a nicer book once the paper loses it's structural integrity.

R.

I saw that. Pretty decent on the front cover. I wonder about that possible tear in the back that you can see at the top. Price seems to be moving up.

Really? When I was at Baltimore, the cheapest copy I saw unrestored was a GD- for $1900

I saw that. Pretty decent on the front cover. I wonder about that possible tear in the back that you can see at the top. Price seems to be moving up.

Really? When I was at Baltimore, the cheapest copy I saw unrestored was a GD- for $1900

Was that raw or slabbed?

Both of those are nice copies and nice money. There are only 111 unrestored copies graded at the moment. I can think of seven that have sold in the last 6 months. So maybe 6-10 more have sold at shows for a total around 20. Does that seem like high turnover or about right?

BTW- 1900.00 seems about right and not unreasonable.

$1900 is below GPA, not by a lot, but still below GPA.

No matter how hard it's spinned otherwise, SC 4 is still a overwhelmingly cold book.

I can't imagine a 20 book turnover in 6 months unless they were all cut rate sales. The 6.0 on C-Link has sat and sat and sat, and 11K isn't that out of line for that copy (OW pages, no major tears or heavy color break).

$1900 is below GPA, not by a lot, but still below GPA.

No matter how hard it's spinned otherwise, SC 4 is still a overwhelmingly cold book.

I can't imagine a 20 book turnover in 6 months unless they were all cut rate sales. The 6.0 on C-Link has sat and sat and sat, and 11K isn't that out of line for that copy (OW pages, no major tears or heavy color break).

If I had 11K to spend, that puppy would be mine. I'm hoping I can get a 4.0 copy someday. (shrug)

Here's a scan of my copy to share (which I will never sell, unless to upgrade). I've owned it for a good while, but I had a hard time finding one in a decent grade that wasn't overpriced. My opinion is the book's value does rise on the slow side, but will not decrease at any time in the future.

Since most collectors consider it the start of the Silver Age (myself included), I would interpret that to the scarcity of the book in higher grades. Those who do have HG copies would really rather not sell, so they price them at "offers they can't refuse."

Although it may not look like anything special, it's one of my favorite books in my collection, and oddly, it was published about the time I was born, which may have some kind of weird connection with my affinity for it. (shrug)

2rzv1au.jpg

Here's a scan of my copy to share (which I will never sell, unless to upgrade). I've owned it for a good while, but I had a hard time finding one in a decent grade that wasn't overpriced. My opinion is the book's value does rise on the slow side, but will not decrease at any time in the future.

Since most collectors consider it the start of the Silver Age (myself included), I would interpret that to the scarcity of the book in higher grades. Those who do have HG copies would really rather not sell, so they price them at "offers they can't refuse."

Although it may not look like anything special, it's one of my favorite books in my collection, and oddly, it was published about the time I was born, which may have some kind of weird connection with my affinity for it. (shrug)

2rzv1au.jpg

:o Wow, you're THAT old?!?!?! :baiting:lol Incredible copy of an iconic book!! (worship) (worship) :headbang:

I was born in 1957 myself. Important , iconic book to us Boomers .

Your right it's value will never decrease, ask anyone who's been in the hobby a long time they will tell you the same thing. :)

Thanks, guys. Us Boomers do love our Silver keys, and yes, regretfully I am that old. The funny thing is that the older I get, the more older things I like and want.

Cars from the 50's and early 60's, all of the Bogart and/or Cagney I can get. TCM has long since replaced MTV as my main TV station and I have lot's of old TV series on DVD. Sometimes it seems that my eyes see only black and white.

Yep...I certainly am getting old, but it was so great when everything in life was so simple. These guys can explain that >>>>> :kidaround:

Showcase #4 needs a movie to come out to get a spark again. That being said, I think the biggest problem is that the prices are already so high that a movie would not give it much of a bump. Showcase #22, on the other hand, is still relatively cheap (probably the 2nd best SA DC key behind #4) and has a lot of room to go up. Add in the fact that there is currently a low supply of #22 available and you have a hot book.

Showcase #4 needs a movie to come out to get a spark again. That being said, I think the biggest problem is that the prices are already so high that a movie would not give it much of a bump. Showcase #22, on the other hand, is still relatively cheap (probably the 2nd best SA DC key behind #4) and has a lot of room to go up. Add in the fact that there is currently a low supply of #22 available and you have a hot book.

The #4 in 8.0 VF up there is one of the nicest around. It looks better than some 9s !! I still have not figured out CGC's consistency techniques in grading yet.