• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Showcase #4

427 posts in this topic

There is an 8.0 and a 4.5 Ep on Comiclink. Is there any interest out there or has 22 become so hot that it is the one to own now?

#22 is definitely where all the sheeple are piling into right now.

True, but SC #22 had a ton of room to go up for a long time now. It is funny talking to collectors at SDCC and here locally that have always wanted the book but never bothered to pick up a copy since prices were stagnant. Now that they are moving up long time fans have to jump in before prices hit the new and higher plateau.

That's why they're called "sheeple". :gossip:

Well, the SC4 8.0 went unsold for 18,250. I think that is a pretty good bid. I wonder what the reserve was and if the guy really thought he was going to get it.
I suspect reserve was $25-30K...

I can't believe the Showcase 22 thread has more posts than Showcase 4. So, I went looking around the house and, lo and behold, I caught my kids with my copy. They just left it on their stack. Here's a pic...

Smart kids. Go for Dad's big $$ books first. They definitely have their father's good taste and intelligence. (thumbs u

Well, the SC4 8.0 went unsold for 18,250. I think that is a pretty good bid. I wonder what the reserve was and if the guy really thought he was going to get it.
I suspect reserve was $25-30K...

It was. I wanted this book and talked to Josh, but it seemed like a weak 8.0 and I was just not willing to go more than 20K for it. I want one bad but I am not chasing a reserve.

Now, we have a real sale. The Mohawk 8.5 sold last night for 28000 and had 50 bids. It only had a 15500 bid with 1 min 20 sec. left and then the action started. I thought it was going to stall at 21,500 but it kept going.

Here are the latest SC22 sales:

Record sales 2009

9.0 Heritage auction ow Gary Keller copy 11/20/09 $59750

8.0 crm/ow Mound City copy 11/1/09 $19550.00

7.5 ow/w boardie 8/09 $10500

Is SC4 still more valuable or has 22 passed it? If an 8.5 copy of SC22 showed up, I would think it would take more the 28K.

Now, we have a real sale. The Mohawk 8.5 sold last night for 28000 and had 50 bids. It only had a 15500 bid with 1 min 20 sec. left and then the action started. I thought it was going to stall at 21,500 but it kept going.

Here are the latest SC22 sales:

Record sales 2009

9.0 Heritage auction ow Gary Keller copy 11/20/09 $59750

8.0 crm/ow Mound City copy 11/1/09 $19550.00

7.5 ow/w boardie 8/09 $10500

Is SC4 still more valuable or has 22 passed it? If an 8.5 copy of SC22 showed up, I would think it would take more the 28K.

Showcase 22 in 6.0+ is worth more than SC4, because the scarcity in high grades. But if the Green Lantern movie does well and there is a sequel, than SC22 will surpassed SC4 in term of value in all grades. Showcase 22 was the book to buy two years ago for the explosive growth. 2c

For a real comparison you would need to have the level of auctions that occured prior to the SC #22 hitting the floor.

For example, I was very interested in the SC #4 and in a normal market would have bought it for more than it went for. Unfortunately I was spent out prior to it hitting the floor.

As always once you get past a certain level the number of buyers availabe and hence price acheivable is very volatile.

For a real comparison you would need to have the level of auctions that occured prior to the SC #22 hitting the floor.

For example, I was very interested in the SC #4 and in a normal market would have bought it for more than it went for. Unfortunately I was spent out prior to it hitting the floor.

As always once you get past a certain level the number of buyers availabe and hence price acheivable is very volatile.

Imagine if that SC4 8.5 was offered earlier in the auction...maybe you would have won it. The SC4 8.5 Mohawk Valley is a bargain, since there are only four copies graded higher. That buyer can't go wrong with that purchase. Currently there are only two SC22 above 8.5, so I value the 8.5 between $30K-35K which is more than the SC4 8.5.

Imagine if that SC4 8.5 was offered earlier in the auction...maybe you would have won it. The SC4 8.5 Mohawk Valley is a bargain, since there are only four copies graded higher. That buyer can't go wrong with that purchase. Currently there are only two SC22 above 8.5, so I value the 8.5 between $30K-35K which is more than the SC4 8.5.

Bad timing for it in terms of near the end of the last auction of a crazy month in a year where so many good books had hit the market.

Bearing that in mind the price achieved was respectable.

For me didn't help that being based in UK meant that it was so late that tiredness had an impact on my enthusiasm as well.

I find it amazing to think that SC22 would out price SC4, even given the relative scarcity of 22 compared to 4.

Seems like an awful lot of Showcase #22 floating around for my taste. Would rather have the #4.

I love Green Lantern as much or more then anybody, but at the price levels that 22 is selling at right now Id agree with you.

It is kind of funny reading the comments either way regarding SC #4 and SC #22. I wonder how similar they are to the Marvel fanboy comments re: AF #15 and FF #1 a few years ago?

There definitely is a battle here between the two books for the top spot. SC4 is not giving up yet... But SC4 dollars in 2006 could have bought you a lot of SC22 ;)