• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I just got royally screwed by Silver Acre Comics!

226 posts in this topic

Jeff,

I'm really sorry to hear this...there is absolutely no good reason to do this sort of thing.

Other than a complete lack of ethics and a life guided purely by greed, obviously. meh

Nick, I surprised at you, we all know quite well Darryl would sell the skin off his mother's back if he thought there was a dollar in it for him.

This just simply reinforces what all of us the UK have known about him for years.

Please, for the rest of the US contingent and beyond, please do NOT take Darryl as a reflection on us in the UK. His auctions, and business ethic's are quite frankly not welcomed, by us, or anyone else.

And out and out wholesale avoidance of him, and his business is highly recommended to all.

You people are fickle, finicky and spell too perfectly to be on here. Oh and you always hold your pinky out when drinking tea. Tiring.

Jeff,

I'm really sorry to hear this...there is absolutely no good reason to do this sort of thing.

Other than a complete lack of ethics and a life guided purely by greed, obviously. meh

Nick, I surprised at you, we all know quite well Darryl would sell the skin off his mother's back if he thought there was a dollar in it for him.

This just simply reinforces what all of us the UK have known about him for years.

Please, for the rest of the US contingent and beyond, please do NOT take Darryl as a reflection on us in the UK. His auctions, and business ethic's are quite frankly not welcomed, by us, or anyone else.

And out and out wholesale avoidance of him, and his business is highly recommended to all.

You people are fickle, finicky and spell too perfectly to be on here. Oh and you always hold your pinky out when drinking tea. Tiring.

I'm an itinerant Kiwi (sorry Russ :foryou: ) Nick, lets me hang out here :insane:

I'll be sending him an e-mail letting them know they will not receive any more business from me. I have spent a few dollars, not Batman #1 money, but a pretty decent amount of money, in the last year with them. So hopefully Darryl will understand exactly what a move like this may do to future business.

Sorry to hear about that Jeff.

I posted this in the Golden Age forum this morning, and several people have suggested that I should really cross-post it in Comics General, so more board members can become aware of the business practices of Silver Acre Comics, out of Chester, England...

As many of you know, I've been on a selling rampage the last few weeks, raising money to acquire my grail, Batman #1. I have literally wanted a copy since I was a little kid, sitting on my bedroom floor trading 25-centers with my friends Ty & Stan.

With my war chest in my back pocket, I went searching for an attractive copy, and found one on the silveracre.com website. On Monday of this week, Darryl at silveracre and I negotiated a price for his CGC 6.0 mod(p) copy, signed by Bob Kane on the back cover. We agreed that I would wire him the money either Friday(today) or Monday of next week, depending on when one final check cleared into my bank account. He gave me all the bank information and routing info that I would need. We also agreed that he would send the book to CGC on its way to me(the holder is cracked and scuffed up), and I faxed him the CGC paperwork to include in the box. I also called CGC for their street address, as Darryl was going to be shipping the book Fed Ex.

Yesterday morning, I checked with my bank, and the last check had cleared, so I emailed Darryl to let him know that I'd be wiring the money a day early. His assistant, Daniel, emailed me back and said that Darryl was out of the office, and asked me to wait a day to wire the money, as he wasn't sure the routing number that Darryl had given me was correct(apparently, another customer buying a different item was having trouble wiring payment successfully). I said no problem, and asked him to have Darryl email the correct routing number, and I'd send the money today.

This morning, I awoke to find this email from Darryl waiting for me:

Dear Jeff, Sorry i am going to have to let you down on the sale of the bat 1, the book sold yesterday to a regular customer at full asking price, i hope you understand there was too much price difference to hold out, sorry for wasting your time.

Regards anyway Darryl

Now, from my perspective, the book was off the market the moment we agreed on a mutually acceptable price last Monday. This wasn't a book I was buying to flip in 6 months, this was a keeper that I've wanted for 35 years!

I think silveracre has acted in a highly unethical manner, and he's certainly lost this customer for life. I have a humble little website, but I would NEVER treat a customer like this.

What a total spoon. :frustrated:

That is BullSpoon Jeff :mad:

Your word is your word is your word.

A deal is a deal is a deal

:sumo:

I've had it happen to me a few times in private deals with 2 rather major BSDs and was stunned that "making more money" was an acceptable excuse for lying and/or reneging on an agreed upon deal in order to sell to someone else for more. One of the 2 got enraged that I called him on it (after the 2nd instance) and said he didn't want to do business with me anymore! I guess some BSD's expect everyone else to be meek and not make waves so they can maximize any way possible. Despicable behavior.

I'll be sending him an e-mail letting them know they will not receive any more business from me. I have spent a few dollars, not Batman #1 money, but a pretty decent amount of money, in the last year with them. So hopefully Darryl will understand exactly what a move like this may do to future business.

:golfclap:

I posted this in the Golden Age forum this morning, and several people have suggested that I should really cross-post it in Comics General, so more board members can become aware of the business practices of Silver Acre Comics, out of Chester, England...

As many of you know, I've been on a selling rampage the last few weeks, raising money to acquire my grail, Batman #1. I have literally wanted a copy since I was a little kid, sitting on my bedroom floor trading 25-centers with my friends Ty & Stan.

With my war chest in my back pocket, I went searching for an attractive copy, and found one on the silveracre.com website. On Monday of this week, Darryl at silveracre and I negotiated a price for his CGC 6.0 mod(p) copy, signed by Bob Kane on the back cover. We agreed that I would wire him the money either Friday(today) or Monday of next week, depending on when one final check cleared into my bank account. He gave me all the bank information and routing info that I would need. We also agreed that he would send the book to CGC on its way to me(the holder is cracked and scuffed up), and I faxed him the CGC paperwork to include in the box. I also called CGC for their street address, as Darryl was going to be shipping the book Fed Ex.

Yesterday morning, I checked with my bank, and the last check had cleared, so I emailed Darryl to let him know that I'd be wiring the money a day early. His assistant, Daniel, emailed me back and said that Darryl was out of the office, and asked me to wait a day to wire the money, as he wasn't sure the routing number that Darryl had given me was correct(apparently, another customer buying a different item was having trouble wiring payment successfully). I said no problem, and asked him to have Darryl email the correct routing number, and I'd send the money today.

This morning, I awoke to find this email from Darryl waiting for me:

Dear Jeff, Sorry i am going to have to let you down on the sale of the bat 1, the book sold yesterday to a regular customer at full asking price, i hope you understand there was too much price difference to hold out, sorry for wasting your time.

Regards anyway Darryl

Now, from my perspective, the book was off the market the moment we agreed on a mutually acceptable price last Monday. This wasn't a book I was buying to flip in 6 months, this was a keeper that I've wanted for 35 years!

I think silveracre has acted in a highly unethical manner, and he's certainly lost this customer for life. I have a humble little website, but I would NEVER treat a customer like this.

What a total spoon. :frustrated:

That is BullSpoon Jeff :mad:

Your word is your word is your word.

A deal is a deal is a deal

:sumo:

I've had it happen to me a few times in private deals with 2 rather major BSDs and was stunned that "making more money" was an acceptable excuse for lying and/or reneging on an agreed upon deal in order to sell to someone else for more. One of the 2 got enraged that I called him on it (after the 2nd instance) and said he didn't want to do business with me anymore! I guess some BSD's expect everyone else to be meek and not make waves so they can maximize any way possible. Despicable behavior.

Who were they?

Have you publicly outed them, Bruce? If the one BSD said he didn't want to do business with you anymore, there's no bridge left to burn, so you might as well let other people know who he is and what he did to you so we can avoid him.

We could all make emailed bids on books he has listed, keep our bids in threads posted here and just keep upping the bids until he asks for payment then all of us renage on bids. Keep his books electronically unavailable forever.

Just kidding. I am never buying from him again.

Dayum dude!!

This blows chunks in a major way :censored: I remember seeing your ad in the buying section and I got all excited for you. I was looking forward to the "I got my Grail thread." Anyhow, I'm sorry about this insufficiently_thoughtful_person and hope you get your copy soon :wishluck:

kimik and tth2,

I'm just not going to bother as it would be unproductive and all come down to a "Jerry Springeresque" version of "He said, he said" the comicbook edition on events that are years old and scabbed over. This behavior is also "more common" than we'd like to believe as SilverAcre just demonstrated.

You can take my word on it in general terms or dismiss it if you prefer but I've burned a number of bridges already in this community... as well as suffered other serious hardships trying to stand against this type of behavior and frankly, I feel I've done my share... for now.

:golfclap:

:golfclap: :golfclap:

Sorry to hear about this bs...btw, did you get your money back, or is that not in dispute?

With Darryl involved ...this question is worth asking!

No, money isn't the issue, it's just reneging on the deal. I emailed Darryl yesterday morning to let him know that I was going to the bank after work to wire him the money. HIs assistant, Daniel, emailed me back and said Darryl's out of the office for the afternoon, and best hold off on wiring the money as another customer, buying a different item, was having trouble wiring payment, perhaps because the routing number is incorrect.

It's entirely possible that the reason they wanted me to hold off on sending payment was because they were using my offer as leverage when negotiating with the "regular customer" that ended up buying the book.

Thanks very much, Mike. Emails from people who've spent money with him should definitely get his attention.