• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I just got royally screwed by Silver Acre Comics!

226 posts in this topic

I've just sent my email.

I've spent some money with them when I visited England. Now I'll know to avoid this shop. Too bad, I met Darryl and he seemed like a nice guy, but when you do this sort of thing, that's what I call greed.

No cash for you! :sumo:

Here's the email addy again:

e-mail Daryl at sales@silveracre.com

Andy

We could all make emailed bids on books he has listed, keep our bids in threads posted here and just keep upping the bids until he asks for payment then all of us renage on bids. Keep his books electronically unavailable forever.

Just kidding. I am never buying from him again.

Or Just say " Well I found the book cheaper else where so I took that offer instead"

E-mail sent. This sucks. He carried a wide enough variety of GA books, that I have been able to buy a few nice books from him in the past and I feel doubly bad that I posted his Bat #1 in a thread when three of our boardies were hunting for what was currently available.

Nothing worse than someone who reneges on a comic book deal. That just sucks and I'm sorry to hear about having the book of your dreams within your grasp only for some greedy to sell it to someone else for a little more money. :mad:

I hope you find another copy soon and at a better price. :wishluck:

I feel doubly bad that I posted his Bat #1 in a thread when three of our boardies were hunting for what was currently available.

You shouldn't feel bad at all. You were just trying to help out three fellow board members. Darryl gets all the blame here.

Sorry about your bad experiment with Silveracre, that's really funny , because i had my first :frustrated: deal with Darryl ( it was the first time i contected them) , i contacted him a week ago to talk about an OA , he offered me a deal at £1000 and then we talked about for 2 days ( as i'm not very often home) about how to pay and when as Darryl in fact don't want any fees for him CC PP :(

I was really happy as i was going to get a grail , but Darryl send me that, i decided to pass as i don't play that sort of game

"I'm coming back to you because you contacted me first. I am constantly getting offers for this page, i've just been offered £1100 from an italian collector and i've got another guy from the states asking me to cancel the auction apart from the guy who also wants to trade. So what I have decided to do is to accept the first offer of £1200. I'm offering it to you first and if you are not interested I will go through the other people. If you are interested please Paypal £1200 to sales@silveracre.com or phone us on 00 44 1244 680048 and pay with a credit card. I will leave it with you until 5pm UK time today and then move onto the next person if you don't take it. If you are not interested please let me know so I can contact the next person sooner. Sorry about all of the messing about on this item this time around, it just becomes a little awkard when I get multiple people trying to buy the same item.

Kind Regards,

Darryl

I'll NEVER deal with him anymore

cryptkeeper59 is being a bit too kind in his explanation .. I was with him all the way and I know what went down, basically Silver Acre lied to him throughout the whole deal trying to squeeze as much money out of him as possible.

I saw Silveracre had a piece of art for sale on eBay and alerted Deve as I knew he was looking for that kind of piece.

Piece had been up for a few days with a starting price of £995 and no bids.

Trouble was that Darryl didn't want paypal over a certain amount because this would eat into his profit.

cryptkeeper59 contacted Darryl to ask about alternative payment questions and they agreed that the page would be sold off-ebay for £1000, but Darryl didn't pull the ebay auction (shrug)

When cryptkeeper59 asked him to do so he asked for a downpayment (which I understand). This time he was willing to accept paypal (just for the downpayment)

Before the downpayment ever went through Darryl sent out another email telling cryptkeeper59 that the price of their deal had just gone up as he had "two other interested parties". All of a sudden paypal was good and cryptkeeper59 had a small window to quickly pay £1200 (nearly $400 more than what they agreed upon) or he would offer the page to the "other customers". There still were no bids on ebay and the auction had less than 24 hours to go.

cryptkeeper59 decided NOT to bend over and declined, but did send Darryl an email telling him how unethical he was going back on a deal and asking 20% more.

Strangely enough the two other parties that were so interested and offered more must have changed their minds as well, because after cryptkeeper59 declined, the auction still kept running on eBay for another 20 hours or so.

In the end it did get a bid and sold for £1050 or something.

I'm staying far, far away from Silveracre and their throw-ethics-out-of-the-window-for-the-sake-of-a-lousy-buck way of doing business

Sorry to hear the same happened to you Jeff :(

WTF? The guy running that outfit clearly thinks that by doing this he is making more money. In the short term, yes. Long term, not a chance. Your goal as a retailer should be to make people happy, not them off with because you can't wait to get your claw around a few extra dollars.

I got ripped off locally here by a guy when I got back into collecting and reading. I called the guy and he offered to make things right. After that , my phone calls went unanswered and I never did get my money back.

Now, if this same smoking anus had set it right, I'd have happily bought more books from him later. But since he burned me, I'll never buy another book from him again and I happily warn people far and wide about this turd while having the occasional pleasure of calling him s &% t head every time I see him. :grin:

How hard is it to keep your friggin' word????(shrug) This fiasco silveracres.com has created will likely cost him thousands. What a fool.

cryptkeeper59 is being a bit too kind in his explanation .. I was with him all the way and I know what went down, basically Silver Acre lied to him throughout the whole deal trying to squeeze as much money out of him as possible.

I saw Silveracre had a piece of art for sale on eBay and alerted Deve as I knew he was looking for that kind of piece.

Piece had been up for a few days with a starting price of £995 and no bids.

Trouble was that Darryl didn't want paypal over a certain amount because this would eat into his profit.

cryptkeeper59 contacted Darryl to ask about alternative payment questions and they agreed that the page would be sold off-ebay for £1000, but Darryl didn't pull the ebay auction (shrug)

When cryptkeeper59 asked him to do so he asked for a downpayment (which I understand). This time he was willing to accept paypal (just for the downpayment)

Before the downpayment ever went through Darryl sent out another email telling cryptkeeper59 that the price of their deal had just gone up as he had "two other interested parties". All of a sudden paypal was good and cryptkeeper59 had a small window to quickly pay £1200 (nearly $400 more than what they agreed upon) or he would offer the page to the "other customers". There still were no bids on ebay and the auction had less than 24 hours to go.

cryptkeeper59 decided NOT to bend over and declined, but did send Darryl an email telling him how unethical he was going back on a deal and asking 20% more.

Strangely enough the two other parties that were so interested and offered more must have changed their minds as well, because after cryptkeeper59 declined, the auction still kept running on eBay for another 20 hours or so.

In the end it did get a bid and sold for £1050 or something.

I'm staying far, far away from Silveracre and their throw-ethics-out-of-the-window-for-the-sake-of-a-lousy-buck way of doing business

Sorry to hear the same happened to you Jeff :(

Thanks Allan (thumbs u

It's entirely possible that the reason they wanted me to hold off on sending payment was because they were using my offer as leverage when negotiating with the "regular customer" that ended up buying the book.

I'd say it's more than possible, it's likely. If true you can add outright lying to their sins.

It's entirely possible that the reason they wanted me to hold off on sending payment was because they were using my offer as leverage when negotiating with the "regular customer" that ended up buying the book.

I'd say it's more than possible, it's likely. If true you can add outright lying to their sins.

I'd say that's exactly what happened. I'll take my funnybook $$ elsewhere :sumo:

This saga just keeps getting worse. Silveracre's behavior is about as low as you can get, yet is it more common than we think it is? Has anyone else had similar problems with other dealers or is it just unusual for them to be publicly outed like this seller was?

When I first started standing at shows - back when the B'ham mart was at Central Hall and that hotel before it - I remember some of the 'bigger' dealers going through all my boxes and picking large piles of stuff which they would ask me to 'put aside' for them until they had time to come back back and pay for them. Sometimes they'd 'forget' to come back and pick up the stuff.

Took me a few shows to suddenly realise what was going on, just taking a few competitors out of the going so they could sell on their own stuff.

Now I know that no deal is done until the money has exchanged and the book is in hand.

Sad state of affairs, but not entirely surprising.

This is a blatant case of profiteering and dishonesty - but rest assured that what goes around will, in time, come around.

I have only ever purchased one book from Silver Acre, but I assure you that it will be the last one. There are a lot of high rollers on these boards and their business is going to take a dramatic hit. I hate people who operate in this manner and I hope that they dry up and blow away.

Scott

This saga just keeps getting worse. Silveracre's behavior is about as low as you can get, yet is it more common than we think it is? Has anyone else had similar problems with other dealers or is it just unusual for them to be publicly outed like this seller was?

If I didn't have money already tied into a book of theirs, I would be outing another well known dealer and OPG Advisor. I don't want to lose what I already have paid them. Once I get the book, their name goes on the (s) hit list.

It seems like Silveracre is nothing more than a greedy person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed :sumo:

I hope that this post make many, many, many steer clear of any business transactions with him.

I'm sure it was well worth losing a bunch of high caliber customers for a quick buck.