• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I just got royally screwed by Silver Acre Comics!

226 posts in this topic

I sent Silveracre the following e-mail:

Dear Darryl:

If you have not been made aware of the below referenced thread on the CGC boards, I strongly recommend you review it immediately and give serious consideration to posting a response to defend your actions. I have no doubt that you have already lost potential future sales as a result (and you can count me among those), and the question that now exists is whether the decision of many collectors to avoid your auctions/books is justified.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2544972#Post2544972

It would appear you entered into a good faith agreement to sell Mr. Delaney a specific copy of Batman #1, and then you reneged on your promise. Your excuse - money - appears obvious, as detailed in the e-mail you sent to Jeff that is reproduced below.

Dear Jeff, Sorry i am going to have to let you down on the sale of the bat 1, the book sold yesterday to a regular customer at full asking price, i hope you understand there was too much price difference to hold out, sorry for wasting your time.

Regards anyway Darryl

This type of behavior, especially by one who considers himself a prominent and respected dealer, is completely inexcusable and borderline unethical. It makes no difference whether you are located in the United States or United Kingdom. If ever a seller acted in this manner to me they would face legal action or other consequences in a heartbeat. I have no stake in Jeff's transactions (indeed, Jeff and I have been at odds on issues many times so no one would view me as rushing to his defense - and I am not speaking on his behalf here or at his request) and I do not know you other than through reputation. But if you do not believe this will impact your reputation among the numerous collectors/dealers who frequent the CGC boards you will be mistaken, and I hope you see fit to either explain your actions, if that is appropriate, or offer Jeff an alternative arrangement for future books as a necessary and apparently deserved apology.

Respectfully,

Mark

I encourage everyone to do the same. It is simply not enough to condemn these actions here on the boards. Take it to where it impacts most - e-mail Daryl at sales@silveracre.com

(worship) (worship)

Man, that sucks I could certainly understand the disappointment. I once had a coverless batman #1 missing the last page but was foolish enough to sell it, and every day i miss that book! Out of curiosity, what price range are you working with and what condition are you looking for?

Man, that sucks I could certainly understand the disappointment. I once had a coverless batman #1 missing the last page but was foolish enough to sell it, and every day i miss that book! Out of curiosity, what price range are you working with and what condition are you looking for?

The copy in question is a 6.0 MP. What I'd really like is a 6.0 SP or 7.5/8.0 MP. I actually wish that I'd decided to go after a Batman #1 sooner, as the 7.5 MP that Heritage sold in May would suite me very well, and the price was right in my range.

I have about 15K at my disposal right now. It wouldn't be terribly difficult to come up with 2-4K more fairly quickly. It would just mean selling a few books that I'd otherwise like to hang on to.

Hey Jeff, just curious if he really did sell the book. Or just got cold feet and used "another buyer" as an excuse to get out of your deal?

Are scans of the book up somewhere? Just in case it appears magically for sale again, at a higher price? Just a thought, and like I said in the GA forum you deserve better, and hopefully he will soon realize he pulled the rug out on the wrong fella.

We may be a small portion of the collecting comunity here, but what we lack for in numbers we make up in dollars spent!

Well some of you do anyways, I am just buying diapers now..but I dont collect them

It wouldn't be terribly difficult to come up with 2-4K more fairly quickly. It would just mean selling a few books that I'd otherwise like to hang on to.

But in the end would it be worth it for the Grail??

hm

It wouldn't be terribly difficult to come up with 2-4K more fairly quickly. It would just mean selling a few books that I'd otherwise like to hang on to.

But in the end would it be worth it for the Grail??

hm

No, bad Timmay (tsk)

Keep the books you want to hang on to and wait for the grail to come around again, restored Bat 1's will always be for sale at some point.

Sorry to hear about the deal, Jeff. It always burns me up when people pull krap like this. I am sure the seller will find in time that the extra money he just couldn't pass up will not be worth it in the long run. In case he does read this thread, I just want him to know that I have money, I collect comics and I hold grudges. :foryou:

Sorry to hear about your problem. It appears that Darryl's word is worthless if a few more $$ can be made. I wonder how he would feel if you agreed to buy an expensive book off him and then you reneged. I think a decision made for short term gain will cause long term pain. Save up, wait, and pounce on a juicy, shiny, high grade Batman that will soon come your way.

I'm sorry to hear about this Jeff! :( I know how much you were looking forward in purchasing a Batman #1

When I was reading your original post about wire transfer, my heart almost stopped. Is all I could think about was Phil's problem with the Batman #1 he bought.

You have a wad of cash! Have fun shopping!

Mike

Would you ever consider getting a lower graded copy? I'm going to assume that most of the CGC graded copies in 6.0 or higher are either in private collections or will be up for sale thru major players like comiclink and metropolis. I'll keep an eye out for you, i hope you get your hands on your grail...its how i feel about my AF #15.

Are scans of the book up somewhere? Just in case it appears magically for sale again, at a higher price?

Here's the front cover. The back cover is signed by Bob Kane "To Sid".

batman1cgc6.jpg

Would you ever consider getting a lower graded copy? I'm going to assume that most of the CGC graded copies in 6.0 or higher are either in private collections or will be up for sale thru major players like comiclink and metropolis. I'll keep an eye out for you, i hope you get your hands on your grail...its how i feel about my AF #15.

I'm just looking for a copy that presents nicely. That could certainly mean a lower grade copy. I have plenty of 4.5s that looks great. :cloud9:

Jeff,

I'm really sorry to hear this...there is absolutely no good reason to do this sort of thing.

Other than a complete lack of ethics and a life guided purely by greed, obviously. meh

Nick, I surprised at you, we all know quite well Darryl would sell the skin off his mother's back if he thought there was a dollar in it for him.

This just simply reinforces what all of us the UK have known about him for years.

Please, for the rest of the US contingent and beyond, please do NOT take Darryl as a reflection on us in the UK. His auctions, and business ethic's are quite frankly not welcomed, by us, or anyone else.

And out and out wholesale avoidance of him, and his business is highly recommended to all.