• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do You Want Fries With That?

1,987 posts in this topic

Originally Posted By: awe4one
 Originally Posted By: Monkeyman
I literally had to peel the covers off the front pages. At the time I didn't know about pressing and wondered what was going on. You may find pressed books that open up normally, but is only because the presser unstuck everything before sending it back to you

You can buy raw books from a couple sellers in the Forum marketplace where this occurs... hm

Jim

Raw books aren't pressed. sumo.gif

\(tsk\)

spookypressed.jpg

I disagree with my friend Gene on this subject because to me, you're saying you're disgusted with the ethics... but the reality is, this "hobby" is no more shielded than any other line of business -- and that's what it has become for many. So if they want to "maximize profits" by engaging in something that may or may not harm the book or manipulate it to make a profit, then while I don't care to do it personally and find it unnecessary, I don't find it unethical.

I agree that I wouldn't call it unethical, but as a collector it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Maybe it's the principle, or maybe it's the feeling of being on the short end of the stick because I choose not to approach my collecting as a business.

Originally Posted By: mschmidt
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header"> Originally Posted By: Monkeyman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><br /><br />The problem is that I can tell the difference between raw and slabbed, DC and Marvel, SA and GA from a scan. I can't tell if a book has been pressed from a scan. So how am I going to go about enjoying what I collect, which is, among other things, unpressed books, when the pressing isn't disclosed?<br /><br />Mike</div></div> <br /><br />

If you can't tell whether the book has been pressed or not, why does it matter?

See bold above. You are assuming that I leave the books in the slabs. I bought a couple of books from Ewert a few years ago and, once I broke them out of the slabs, I literally had to peel the covers off the front pages. At the time I didn't know about pressing and wondered what was going on. You may find pressed books that open up normally, but is only because the presser unstuck everything before sending it back to you.

Mike

Wow, I just read this whole thread, here we go again.

Mike, that is not possible. CGC puts an interleaving page between the cover and first and last wraps AND each page is flipped through by CGC for a check on completeness and resto...so it's not possible for all the pages to be stuck together in a slab from pressing.

flowerred.gif

Agreed.

spookypressed.jpg

That book was described to have foxing, does it appear the whole book was pressed or spot pressed?

It appears to have been pressed whole judging by the "improved" spine roll...Jim

There's another effect going on. People are buying books -- and you can make sales -- based strictly on the fact that someone will press your book to a higher grade. I have many books in my collection that I could press, but just choose not to. Not a game I really want to play. On the other hand, I still don't see anything wrong with pressing a book to make money. I just don't. Just because it is a hobby for us, doesn't mean it's not a business for some.

I disagree with my friend Gene on this subject because to me, you're saying you're disgusted with the ethics... but the reality is, this "hobby" is no more shielded than any other line of business -- and that's what it has become for many. So if they want to "maximize profits" by engaging in something that may or may not harm the book or manipulate it to make a profit, then while I don't care to do it personally and find it unnecessary, I don't find it unethical.

Still, I always throw this out there... I stand behind the fact that I don't think pressing is a bad thing nor do I think there's anything wrong with it -- why won't the pressers just disclose they are selling some pressed books? Major dealers, board members, other collectors -- they are all pressing books right now. Why not just end this argument, give the disclosure and let the market decide. I know it's about money, but if you truly believe you are right on this argument you should not fear any financial fall out.

Well said Brian. Although, I don't think disclosure from the person that presses a book will end the argument. The next guy to sell it probably will not disclose. So there will still be undisclosed selling of pressed books going on no matter what. Even if the market decided the books were worth less, that in turn would promote more undisclosed selling. As long as pressed books are in Universal CGC holders there will be undisclosed selling of pressed books.The only thing I dislike about pressing is I don't want to see people leave the hobby because they are down on it and feel as though it is ruining the fun for them. Even if all books were sold with disclosure, it won't end the argument. A lot of the same old people will still start a thread about it everytime Classics Inc. sends out a new e-mail add. The same people will continue to question the ethics of someone they don't even know just because they are making money from a hobby.

I literally had to peel the covers off the front pages. At the time I didn't know about pressing and wondered what was going on. You may find pressed books that open up normally, but is only because the presser unstuck everything before sending it back to you

You can buy raw books from a couple sellers in the Forum marketplace where this occurs...

Now that that cat is out of the bag, they'll be sure to "peel away" the front cover from the splash before shipping.

Originally Posted By: GACollectibles

spookypressed.jpg

That book was described to have foxing, does it appear the whole book was pressed or spot pressed?

It appears to have been pressed whole judging by the "improved" miswrap...

Jim

Still could have been spot pressed since the ouside edge appears to have some waviness to it. Then again this could have been worse and the pressing made it significantly better. My first guess was spot work was done on it.

You can buy raw books from a couple sellers in the Forum marketplace where this occurs...

Now that that cat is out of the bag, they'll be sure to "peel away" the front cover from the splash before shipping.

My thoughts exactly. These discussions do two things and two things alone. They educate unkowing buyers AND they educate previously unknowing prospective pressers . And since the need for $ is greater than the need for comics guess who wins?It's like saying Zilla4 has good books. In no time more than half the hobby is there.

Originally Posted By: r1970d
 Originally Posted By: mschmidt
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header"> Originally Posted By: Monkeyman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><br /><br />The problem is that I can tell the difference between raw and slabbed, DC and Marvel, SA and GA from a scan. I can't tell if a book has been pressed from a scan. So how am I going to go about enjoying what I collect, which is, among other things, unpressed books, when the pressing isn't disclosed?<br /><br />Mike</div></div> <br /><br />

If you can't tell whether the book has been pressed or not, why does it matter?

See bold above. You are assuming that I leave the books in the slabs. I bought a couple of books from Ewert a few years ago and, once I broke them out of the slabs, I literally had to peel the covers off the front pages. At the time I didn't know about pressing and wondered what was going on. You may find pressed books that open up normally, but is only because the presser unstuck everything before sending it back to you.

Mike

Wow, I just read this whole thread, here we go again.

Mike, that is not possible. CGC puts an interleaving page between the cover and first and last wraps AND each page is flipped through by CGC for a check on completeness and resto...so it's not possible for all the pages to be stuck together in a slab from pressing.

flowerred.gif

Agreed.

This is a good point. I will have to admit that I am mixed up with another book which I must have purchased raw. Was Ewert selling raw in the early 2000s? It is now too long ago for me to remember properly.Mike

Originally Posted By: GACollectibles

spookypressed.jpg

It appears to have been pressed whole judging by the "improved" miswrap...

Jim

Still could have been spot pressed since the ouside edge appears to have some waviness to it. Then again this could have been worse and the pressing made it significantly better. My first guess was spot work was done on it.
Maybe Jim has other reasons to belive this book was pressed, but I don't think so.The dust shadow along the upper edge is perpindicular to the line on the spine that I think is the assumed miswrap line. I belive it is a dust shadow base on the line the similar dust shadow across the top. Also, I would think that the right edge would be much more improved had it been pressed.Just my opinion based on the scan.

Originally Posted By: MrBedrock
 Originally Posted By: CaptainOfIndustry
 Originally Posted By: CaptainOfIndustry
 Originally Posted By: joe_collector
 Originally Posted By: agro23
I have had many of the books in my collection pressed. And I assure you I have no intention of selling them.
\(thumbs u

And of course, he has it stated in his will that upon his death, all of these pressed books will be destroyed so that no one in his family can profiteer on them, right?

I've tried making that point at least twice in this thread, but the "I'll never sell" crowd isn't biting.

Because it is a ridiculous argument.

When I decide to sell them, I am going to make a S H I T load of money.

But that is not the reason that I had them pressed. You can continue to convince yourself that it is. But it ain't

Are you serious? You just acknowledged that when you sell(not IF, WHEN), you stand to make a S H I T load of money, yet you're trying to tell me that isn't a factor when deciding whether or not to have a book pressed?

And you're saying my argument is ridiculous?

Yes, that is exactly what I am saying. Let me repeat it....

It is ridiculous of you to be certain that profit is the motivating factor in me having my books pressed.

If you go back several pages, I already gave you the benefit of the doubt by acknowledging that profit may not be the sole motivating factor behind you pressing your books. What I'm saying is that I refuse to believe it doesn't play some part, and I can never take the whole I'll never sell thing seriously. Collectors are fickle and priorities change.

(thumbs u

Originally Posted By: buttock
I forgot we have our resident expert in all things. Tell us, JC, how exactly did you acquire such knowledge?

It's an interesting little thing called PHYSICS - I highly recommend it to everyone. \(thumbs u

There is absolutely no way that any natural stacking/packing could ever equal a pro-pressed book, with heat, moisture and localized pressure. It's physically impossible, and most people understand that.

Otherwise, Matt could easily be replaced with a big stack of books.

GRAVITY...It's not just a good idea...it's the LAW! :insane:

Originally Posted By: agro23
I have had many of the books in my collection pressed. And I assure you I have no intention of selling them.
\(thumbs u

I plan on being entombed with my collection. In a Crypt....climate controlled and pest proof. A custodian will change the backing boards every seven years and add new acid neutralising paper.

I'm storing my head next to Ted Williams! :insane:

Originally Posted By: DrWatson
I find it interesting that Matt has become a lightning rod for the pressing debate when he is far from the only one engaging in the act for profit. I guess his sin is that he is the most vocal.

Yes, very interesting. Do you have a list of the others who are engaging in the act for profit?

Yes, I do Stu. :hi:

Originally Posted By: joe_collector
The pressing threads always get out of hand...

On one side we have the dealers who stand to profit most, the collectors and investors who are sitting on a pile of CGC 9.6 - 9.8 nosebleed books, and the various "enablers" who profit from this practice, from Matt to CGC.

On the other we have the majority of the collector base, who finds this practice unsavory, and fears that rampant pressing-greed will cause the house of cards to come tumbling down and send the hobby into another dark age.

Neither side will see the other's point-of-view, as one sees "live for today" money to be made no matter the consequences to the hobby, while the other unrealistically hopes for sanity in a world where a $15 press can yield thousands of dollars in return.

sorry.gif

I personally find this to be inaccurate. It just seems that way on these boards and especially in pressing threads because they are the most vocal.

Obviously, since I started out with "The pressing threads..." doh!