• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

G.I. JOE THREAD YO JOE!!!!!!
10 10

2,338 posts in this topic

Thanks. I'm trying to make a set of these. If anyone can tell me how hard it is going to be to complete, it appears that it would be you to ask. What's the level of difficulty in putting a super high grade set together?

If you are talking about graded copies then VERY difficult. There are no graded copies of #5, #6, or the Annual (and only 2 #4's). Oh and no copies of the 2nd print of #2 either, that's difficult to even find in any raw grade.

I have a CGC 9.6 copy of #2 if you are would like it... I upgraded to a 9.8 a while back and it's just collecting dust, more than welcome to give it to a fellow Joe collector!

How do you tell the difference between the first and second printings? Did they reprint them all? I'm one of those people who have to start from the top, get the most expensive books out of the way, and then work my way down. If you can hang onto the 9.6 for a little while, I'll definitely buy it. I just don't want to start buying the series if it's going to be that difficult to obtain the later issues..

Edited by Dungeon

Man can I understand that, I apparently have some 9.8 OCD!!!!!

The 2nd print of #2 have the cover of #4 on it but say #2 on the front cover and 2nd Printing on the inside. I pick up a raw every once in a while on E-Bay... never one nice enough to grade though...

Well Joe fans... This June (officially) will be the 30th Anniversary of the release of GI Joe: A Real American Hero #1!

30 YEARS!!! Hard to believe that it's been 29.5 years since I was asking Santa for a VAMP, FLAK, Stalker (which was my favorite Joe for a while), etc.

Although it was another couple years before I got into the comic series I have to say CONGRATS to Larry Hama, Marvel, and Hasbro! Not many comic series last 155 issues over 12.5 years. And cartoons, action figures, nearly 50 separate comic series from mini's to on-going series 30 years later, 2 major motion pictures, not to mention all the other merchandise!!!

A big thank you to Larry Hama and all those artist and writers that brought GI Joe to life over the last 30 years and

A BIG HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO THOSE 3-3/4" GI JOE'S :banana: & HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO GI JOE: A REAL AMERICAN HERO!!! :golfclap:

I remember almost passing out when I FINALLY found an '84 storm Shadow on the rack at the local Albertsons. It was like life could never get any sweeter than that. In some small way, it doesn't. :applause:

Edited by Dungeon

Anyone watching the GI Joe #1 CGC 9.9 on ComicLink? It ran up to $550 fairly quick, I'm real curious to see what it will go for.

I made a few bids myself but I don't have the extra cash I'd like to have to keep going up... It would have been nice to add to my collection though!

Anyone watching the GI Joe #1 CGC 9.9 on ComicLink? It ran up to $550 fairly quick, I'm real curious to see what it will go for.

I made a few bids myself but I don't have the extra cash I'd like to have to keep going up... It would have been nice to add to my collection though!

I had an opportunity to buy this book years ago for less than that, but I passed because I figured there would be a bunch more graded that high. :facepalm:

I've always loved the cover to #23, but it bothered me that they put him in his hood instead if his helmet, like in the story. Roadblock looks 7 feet tall. It me forever to find a 9.8 years ago.

Edited by Dungeon

I've always loved the cover to #23, but it bothered me that they put him in his hood instead if his helmet, like in the story. Roadblock looks 7 feet tall. It me forever to find a 9.8 years ago.

23, 29 & 36 are awesome covers! Unique for the Joe run for sure. Several of the Zeck covers are my favorite but these 3 are all in my top favorite covers for sure.

The covers not matching the interior art always did bother me, not just in the Joe series but many series through the years. Often wondered why comic publishers has one artist do the interior and another do the cover??? Sure, occasionally having a big name artist do the cover makes sense but as often as they did (and do)?? Odd.....

It was also around 23 that the story really started to get good and start to blend well month after month (might have been the Snake-Eyes/Storm Shadow back story that started at 21 that really got me pulled in for the long haul. And if I'm not mistaken in the early to mid 20 issues the really cool toys started showing up in the comics (Skystryker, WHALE, USS Flagg, Dragonfly) plus Zartan and the Dreadnoks (loved them at the beginning, declined after that in my opinion).

Ahh memories!

Ooooh ho ho! Don't get me started on Zartan! I made an entire display (shrine) for him. That color changing was, and still is, bad azz. It was always a toss up between him and storm shadow. I even had Zartan's discontinued file card. As far as the issues are concerned.. The whole kwinn, Dr venom, snake eyes conflict was awesome. The dynamic between the Baroness,CC, and Destro was cool as well. It all boiled down to #19, and the end of the arc. They had a fan for life. Really, it got me into comics in general. Best cover ever...too many to choose from. I always liked #2 because it was "rare and expensive" at the time. It was always on the wall or in the glass case.

Edited by Dungeon

Kwinn.... man that was a character with a lot of potential! It is too bad he died so quickly in the comics.

The early stuff was nice, smaller team, the outfits weren't too crazy (much more military in nature than the later stuff).

#2 has a classic cover! Classic Snake-Eyes look!

sm2-1.jpg

As did 19

EPSON136-1.jpg

sm23.jpg

Why didn't they ever make a Kwinn figure??? Ridiculous. And I agree, the early stories were really good until the series jumped the shark with the whole serpentor thing.

Kwinn makes peace with the weasel, ... (dr. Venom).. who shoots Kwinn in the back.... Kwinn keeps promise of not killing Venom, and as he dies, drops a live grenade at his feet. Venom: "Fallen from a dead mans hand." BOOM. Still gives me the chills 30 years later.

Wow, that's awesome! I was scrolling the Cool Toy Review link you listed and saw an Oktober Guard figure. Those were the characters I always thought should have been made into action figures. It sucked how they killed them off though. :sumo: