• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

G.I. JOE THREAD YO JOE!!!!!!
10 10

2,338 posts in this topic

You know, I thought about that, and this is the one book I would go nuts for... MUST WIN!!....except for the fact I have about $100 in checking account. That won't cut it. I can't imagine another 9.9 being graded, and if i subbed it, it would be hidden in a nice box in my closet for a loooong time.

I'm reading this series for the first time. Just finished #35, the one where the Dreadnoks steal Zartan's new, gadget-filled motorcycle for a joyride. Neat little cameo at the end!

Did someone say this series goes off the rails when Serpentor arrives? What issue is that?

I remember watching that Serpentor movie with my younger brother back in the day. "Cobra-La la la la la!" Wasn't Don Johnson the voice of one of the characters? Flint, right?

I read a few issues back in the 80s (like #21), but I forgot how subversive and funny they actually are. Like when Cobra Commander is telling his followers about how Cobra is going to destory America from inside the System...by writing more sitcoms!

I also recently picked up the Bellomo G.I. Joe action figure guide. It might be fun to have some of these. My brother had a boatload of them, and I remember the little rubber band that held them together would always break.

The figures seem pretty cheap when they're loose. But, the MOC guys go for some serious bucks!

Edited by MisterX

I stopped reading about that time (issue 50?) I think I recall that storm shadow found out that it was ...... ( won't tell you because you haven't read it yet) who killed the hard master, and in going to kill him,got shot himself. Dr mindbender then uses his body as a shell for serpentor. It got really stupid after that. I don't think it was Hama's fault. He was probably under a lot of pressure from the toy company to include these silly characters into the comic. I think he did the best he could with the crepe he was handed.

Kwinn.... man that was a character with a lot of potential! It is too bad he died so quickly in the comics.

The early stuff was nice, smaller team, the outfits weren't too crazy (much more military in nature than the later stuff).

#2 has a classic cover! Classic Snake-Eyes look!

sm2-1.jpg

As did 19

EPSON136-1.jpg

sm23.jpg

I just got Golden to do his old signature ( the circular design ) on issue 23 last weekend!

I stopped reading about that time (issue 50?) I think I recall that storm shadow found out that it was ...... ( won't tell you because you haven't read it yet) who killed the hard master, and in going to kill him,got shot himself. Dr mindbender then uses his body as a shell for serpentor. It got really stupid after that. I don't think it was Hama's fault. He was probably under a lot of pressure from the toy company to include these silly characters into the comic. I think he did the best he could with the crepe he was handed.

The comic was Hama's baby. I definitely thought he was forced to include Serpentor because of the toy & TV show. Or at the very least quickly realized his mistake if he helped create him. Exhibit A: issue 76. lol

But I disagree that it was all bad after #50. There are a lot of issues I enjoyed that came later. But I have a big nostalgia factor for G.I. Joe...

The comic was Hama's baby. I definitely thought he was forced to include Serpentor because of the toy & TV show. Or at the very least quickly realized his mistake if he helped create him. Exhibit A: issue 76. lol

But I disagree that it was all bad after #50. There are a lot of issues I enjoyed that came later. But I have a big nostalgia factor for G.I. Joe...

Yeah, there were a few good stories in there, but I was a huge collector no matter how bad they got. I liked the snake-eyes 93-95 story.

I've been trying to get back into collecting Joes again (1982-1994), and i figure I'd ask the experts what the hardest ones are going to be to find, so I can get them out of the way early. Someone in another thread said 155, but there's no way. It has to be obscure ones. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The last few issues in the regular series are more expensive due to their smaller print run. But NONE of them are hard to find raw. They are always on eBay.

Now, if you are talking about putting together a CGC 9.8 run, that's different. Most of the none keys are never up for sale. You have to sub yourself a lot of the issues. "Silent Master" would be the boardie to ask for advice if that's your goal, as he has put together a fantastic collection.

I attempted a 9.8 collection 10 years ago when I felt the grading was tougher. Too much time and money. I've changed my focus on obtaining all issues from marvel and others. High grade, but not necessarily 9.8's unless I find them raw. Just looking for the "rarities", because buying 9.8 21 and 155 will cost way too much.

In that case start with #93. It's the issue they show Snake-Eyes face.

As for "rarities" two other really cool rarities are Action Force 37 and 38. Very tough in high grade. AF was the UK version of G.I. Joe, and were magazine size.

These 2 issues reprinted the regular US #21 with an additional prologue showing Scarlet get kidnapped by Storm Shadow and an epilogue afterwards between Storm Shadow and Destro. Of course the story is unofficial and tied to the UK continuity but they are still cool comics to own. (thumbs u

These 2 issues reprinted the regular US #21 with an additional prologue showing Scarlet get kidnapped by Storm Shadow and an epilogue afterwards between Storm Shadow and Destro. Of course the story is unofficial and tied to the UK continuity but they are still cool comics to own. (thumbs u

Are they done in the "Silent-style" of #21?

I've seen a few of them for sale. I'd like to read them, though. I've been hunting down these Blackthorne 3-D later issues, and the how to draw issues, and they are really tough to locate so far.

I'm completing my 9.8 and higher run as we speak...Silent Master IS the man to talk to, his collection is unreal.

And higher? You have 9.9's/10's? There can't be many from 82-94?