• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

G.I. JOE THREAD YO JOE!!!!!!
10 10

2,338 posts in this topic

These 2 issues reprinted the regular US #21 with an additional prologue showing Scarlet get kidnapped by Storm Shadow and an epilogue afterwards between Storm Shadow and Destro. Of course the story is unofficial and tied to the UK continuity but they are still cool comics to own. (thumbs u

Are they done in the "Silent-style" of #21?

The prologue and epilogue are not silent. The pages that reprint #21 are silent.

#37 is the prologue and the 1st 1/2 of issue #21 reprinted. #38 is the 2nd 1/2 of 21 reprinted with the epilogue. (thumbs u

The 9.9 for $1900? That's a lot considering there's 2 of them.

I put an add for #63 so much fun, because it appears it's one of the hardest issues to come by. I might have offered too much? Also, I wonder what the print runs of the 3-D books were. The last 2 can't have a print run of more than the 5000 copies the so much fun issue has? Please correct me if I'm wrong on these theories.

Edited by Dungeon

$1900 sounds about right to me for a #1 9.9 of this run from the 80's...I'm actually surprised it didn't go for more... Dare I mention the WD #1 9.9 that sold for a whopping $7k!! that boggles my mind...what do I know?!?

The only so much fun # 63 I ever saw was on Ebay a few years ago and I bought it up real quick for $25 (or thereabouts..memory fading) but it is no better than a VF. I think your offer of $150-$200 for 9.4 or better is right on the mark as the book is just not available. I do find it odd that a 2nd print of a regular issue in the middle of the run is so pricey but the low number of them does justify it...

Good luck finding one, please post an image when you accomplish your goal!

$1900 sounds about right to me for a #1 9.9 of this run from the 80's...I'm actually surprised it didn't go for more... Dare I mention the WD #1 9.9 that sold for a whopping $7k!! that boggles my mind...what do I know?!?

The only so much fun # 63 I ever saw was on Ebay a few years ago and I bought it up real quick for $25 (or thereabouts..memory fading) but it is no better than a VF. I think your offer of $150-$200 for 9.4 or better is right on the mark as the book is just not available. I do find it odd that a 2nd print of a regular issue in the middle of the run is so pricey but the low number of them does justify it...

Good luck finding one, please post an image when you accomplish your goal!

Good point about the WD thing. I just don't understand these kids these days! :preach:

I just think that becasue of the indestructible Baxter paper they used for issue 1, there just may be more 9.9's in the future. I never thought they'd grade a 21 in a 9.8 10 years ago, and now there's 45! And a friggin 9.9! I think joeypost sold a SS of the so much fun, (which I'm going to rename "no fun") in a 9.2 a while back. I'm fairly certain there's someone out there who is sitting on a stack of not so much fun bags, waiting to have them all in 9.6/9.8 and thrusting them upon an unsuspecting world. Meaning I'll kick myself for spending 100's for a NM copy. I've seen a couple of VF's for sale, and know a few people who have them in VG-VF, but most aren't selling. Now, I've only seen one copy of the joe 3-D #2 (second print) in my hands, and I'm going to go out on a limb and call it the rarest joe book (82-94.) At least from what I've seen. I'm sure silent master or whisp ... Etc. can either concur or correct. And thanks for the good lucks on finding a NM 63 no fun. If I do get one, I'll show it.

45 #21's and a 9.9!!! :o I bought a 9.8 a couple of years ago when there were only 4 or 5 of them...I won't tell you what I paid but doh! goes to show that paying big bucks for an 80's main stream comic in 9.8 isn't worth it... now I want that 9.9...

I think your number of 5000 is right, I've heard that before... Do you know what the print run on #1, #2 or #21 was?

45 #21's and a 9.9!!! :o I bought a 9.8 a couple of years ago when there were only 4 or 5 of them...I won't tell you what I paid but doh! goes to show that paying big bucks for an 80's main stream comic in 9.8 isn't worth it... now I want that 9.9...

I think your number of 5000 is right, I've heard that before... Do you know what the print run on #1, #2 or #21 was?

Many. :roflmao: I'd say they all had the usual 100K plus print run. Could be wrong. 80's marvels and DC's were just so mass produced. With the advent of pressing, or at least its budding popularity over the last few years, I expect the number of 9.8's,and even 9.9's of some books to grow substantially. The last few issues had a lower print run, but still vastly outnumber the print run of today's comics. The no fun 63 is downright rare compared to those, and most of those are probably beat up because the book was an afterthought. I don't know a lot about the other series like special missions, European books, etc, but I imagine they also had a much smaller print run compared to the marvel regular series. The Blackthornes 1-4 are easy to obtain, but 5 and especially 6 are difficult to locate, which tells me they have a small print run.

is the cover of the #2 3D second print the same as the first? if so I should go and check my long boxes...maybe I have one but didn't know it...

Edited by pubmonkey

Of the Blackthornes? It looks like issue 4, with cobra commander's face on it, but has the #2 in the left hand corner, instead of 4. Doesn't make any sense. They may be in long box quarter bins, and im sure there are #63's waiting to be found as well. On the inside it says 2nd print, so it's not an error. If you mean Marvel, it's the price tag and black spiderman of I remember correctly.

And if you do, I'll pay a kings ransom for a NM copy. I'm trying (operative word being try) to put together a NM+ set of all the blackthorne books, but its been a nightmare this far. Nobody has them, and when they do, they're "eBay NM", which we would call VG/F. I should start collecting early 90's spidermans. Slightly easier. hm

Of the Blackthornes? It looks like issue 4, with cobra commander's face on it, but has the #2 in the left hand corner, instead of 4. Doesn't make any sense. They may be in long box quarter bins, and im sure there are #63's waiting to be found as well. On the inside it says 2nd print, so it's not an error. If you mean Marvel, it's the price tag and black spiderman of I remember correctly.

I did mean the Blackthorne's... I did a quick search and see what you mean about the #2b cover and number 4...quite confusing... I'll check when I get home. I could do with a king's ransom (and his horse) in my pocket!!

I did mean the Blackthorne's... I did a quick search and see what you mean about the #2b cover and number 4...quite confusing... I'll check when I get home. I could do with a king's ransom (and his horse) in my pocket!!

:roflmao: I hear ya man. I just hope my wife never visits these forums. :wishluck: Even still, I hope you have one!

I'd love to know the print numbers on the later issues if anyone has a clue...

I could see how the marvel/DC numbers would be fairly easy to find, considering the amount of experts on these boards. As far as other companies books... No idea how to get that info.

I stopped reading about that time (issue 50?) I think I recall that storm shadow found out that it was ...... ( won't tell you because you haven't read it yet) who killed the hard master, and in going to kill him,got shot himself. Dr mindbender then uses his body as a shell for serpentor. It got really stupid after that. I don't think it was Hama's fault. He was probably under a lot of pressure from the toy company to include these silly characters into the comic. I think he did the best he could with the crepe he was handed.

The comic was Hama's baby. I definitely thought he was forced to include Serpentor because of the toy & TV show. Or at the very least quickly realized his mistake if he helped create him. Exhibit A: issue 76. lol

But I disagree that it was all bad after #50. There are a lot of issues I enjoyed that came later. But I have a big nostalgia factor for G.I. Joe...

I disagree as well (and I kinda enjoyed the Serpentor stuff initially - it did drag on too long though). I enjoyed them well into issues in the early 80's.

I agree Hama was forced to throw in TOO MUCH from Hasbro! Some of his best characters were those that Hasbro didn't create and push down on Hama (Kwinn, Venom, that guy that served with Snake-Eyes, Tommy, and Stalker in 'Nam - brain lock).

I'm completing my 9.8 and higher run as we speak...Silent Master IS the man to talk to, his collection is unreal.

And higher? You have 9.9's/10's? There can't be many from 82-94?

9.9's are super hard to find - Never seen a 10.0 in the GI Joe series.

(I do issues 56, 118, and 141 in 9.9 which I will probably sell soon since I'm working on a full CGC SS set). No way do I have the guts to crack open the 9.9's for a signature!

Edited by Silent Master

That's not bad - That's about 8 times what a 9.8 is going for... the $7000 for the Walking Dead #1 is only about 6 times what that 9.8's going for.