• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I cracked three slabs this morning...,
1 1

208 posts in this topic

I cracked about 20 CGC brand slabs out this past week.

Boy, the ones in the new slabs can be a biatch to get out. I was afraid I was going to damage the book on a new, new one that had the inner well - had to bust little chips out all the way down the long sides.

Another not-so-interesting note, as it has been discussed before, is the variation in PQ -

CROWs that are actually OW/W, OWs that are CROWs, etc.

And of course, the ever present variation in grading between slabs, and over the years.

Another not-so-interesting note, as it has been discussed before, is the variation in PQ -

CROWs that are actually OW/W, OWs that are CROWs, etc.

And of course, the ever present variation in grading between slabs, and over the years.

I am sad to say I totally agree with your observations.

- Regarding the page quality, I do think they are keeping in mind the era and sometimes the specific book. Take a book like Showcase 22 where even a slightly better than brown page quality will get an Off White. Some of the 70's stuff had a creamy look to them off the press.

- Regarding the variation in grading, it's absolutely true. I don't think there will ever be a solution to this. BTW, I'm starting to sense CGC is getting loose again or perhaps it is the new slabs.The new slabs really magnify certain flaws, like spine tics. I'm seeing 7.5 books in the new slabs that look like 6.5's to me, 9.0's that look like 8.5's, etc. It's difficult for me to buy books in these new slabs without an in hand observation.

Boy, the ones in the new slabs can be a biatch to get out. I was afraid I was going to damage the book on a new, new one that had the inner well - had to bust little chips out all the way down the long sides.

Might sound extreme but have you ever considered a table saw? With a sharp new blade I've cut plexiglass nicely and thought it might work with slabs. Never tried it though and I'd practice first on an empty case !

Have you tried the MrBedrock slab cracking method? I did it once so far and it worked decent.

Have you tried the MrBedrock slab cracking method? I did it once so far and it worked decent.

Yeah - worked great on the no inner well new slab - not so hot on the new slab with inner well. I have had better luck with other ones, and I have more to do, so maybe it was just that particular one.

Yeah - worked great on the no inner well new slab - not so hot on the new slab with inner well. I have had better luck with other ones, and I have more to do, so maybe it was just that particular one.

Have you tried to wrassle them out?

Have you tried to wrassle them out?

That's the only way to get them out of the new slabs. ;)

Might sound extreme but have you ever considered a table saw? With a sharp new blade I've cut plexiglass nicely and thought it might work with slabs. Never tried it though and I'd practice first on an empty case !

Put painter's tape on the cut line first and it will prevent chip out almost completely... Use an 80 tooth carbide finish blade and it will cut like butter.