• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TMNT #1 Club
19 19

3,699 posts in this topic

Btw - Congrats to whoever did win my 9.6 signed n sketched blue label #1 on C-Link.

They paid a lot less than I did for it way back when. Plus they got it for under the agreed trade value, upon using it towards my 9.8. (thumbs u

I really hope it was a TMNT Boardie who won and it owns it for a while. :headbang:

Very jealous of all of you! Such a great book to own. TMNT got me into collecting comic books, as they were my first ever purchased books. I've been focusing on DC silver age but I think this may be my next target.

Don't care about the grade either.

I know it's not a First Print, but I wanted to share my new Near-Minty Second Print with White Pages!

I went from 9.4 Third Print to 9.2 Second Print to 9.4 Second Print! Moving on up!

TMNT%201%20Second%20Print_zps84tbo4c2.jpg

Awesome, 2nd prints rule too! :headbang:

A first print Turtles 1 has been on my want list for some time. At any given moment there are multiple copies of this book for sale. With such a reportedly low print run you would think there would be less first print copies for sale.

Can any one here explain how this can be? I'm left to wonder if more books than reported were sold and/or if high quality counterfeits have inflated the number of existing copies of this book.

How good is CGC at detecting counterfeits? Perhaps a vintage signed copy is the way to go.

A first print Turtles 1 has been on my want list for some time. At any given moment there are multiple copies of this book for sale. With such a reportedly low print run you would think there would be less first print copies for sale.

Can any one here explain how this can be? I'm left to wonder if more books than reported were sold and/or if high quality counterfeits have inflated the number of existing copies of this book.

How good is CGC at detecting counterfeits? Perhaps a vintage signed copy is the way to go.

Your perceived availability of the book and the number of copies for sale isn't evidence of its "rarity." Said differently, seeing "multiple" copies book for sale "often" has nothing to do with how many copies are available or were printed. People flip this book quite frequently just like any other key collectible worth "a lot" of money. There were three Hulk 1s and at least four Amazing Fantasy 15s on the boards in the last month - what does that mean? :gossip: The answer is "nothing."

The total print runs are well documented and the counterfeit market (at least the CGC graded ones) has been well ousted for a number of years now.

Some quick Google searches will answer your questions.

Your perceived availability of the book and the number of copies for sale isn't evidence of its "rarity." Said differently, seeing "multiple" copies book for sale "often" has nothing to do with how many copies are available or were printed. People flip this book quite frequently just like any other key collectible worth "a lot" of money. There were three Hulk 1s and at least four Amazing Fantasy 15s on the boards in the last month - what does that mean? :gossip: The answer is "nothing."

The total print runs are well documented and the counterfeit market (at least the CGC graded ones) has been well ousted for a number of years now.

There is certainly a correlation with the number of existing copies and the number of copies available for sale but Hulk 1 and AF 15 aren't the best examples. They are from a different time and had much bigger print runs. A better example would be from another independent comic from the same time with a similar print run but your point is taken.

Not every copy has been stabbed but perhaps this is a better correlation. So the common belief is that there were a total of 3000 copies printed. Does anyone know how many of these copies were signed on the inside page or how many copies signed/unsigned have been graded?

There is certainly a correlation with the number of existing copies and the number of copies available for sale but Hulk 1 and AF 15 aren't the best examples. They are from a different time and had much bigger print runs. A better example would be from another independent comic from the same time with a similar print run but your point is taken.

Not every copy has been stabbed but perhaps this is a better correlation. So the common belief is that there were a total of 3000 copies printed. Does anyone know how many of these copies were signed on the inside page or how many copies signed/unsigned have been graded?

Here's some good reading for you (relatively recent) regarding the print run of TMNT #1 1st printing. As for how many were signed on the inside, that's impossible to know without having all copies accounted for in some sort of census. Many copies of TMNT #1 are still raw and in the hands of private collectors (i.e., not tracked by CGC). I don't think Kevin & Peter ever pre-signed any copies before distribution but I know they signed copies personally for those asking back in the day. My copy was signed by Kevin before being slabbed but I don't think the CGC census notes whether the issues are signed or not. The label of the slab notes this but I don't see this info. anywhere on the census.

Your statement doesn't make sense. You state there is a correlation and then immediately concede exceptions...? You cannot draw direct conclusions between print run and copies for sale - it is basic logic.

Side note - the print run data isn't just common belief with the book, there are well documented sources with exact print run data. The book was printed in 1984, not exactly the stone age.

As far as the "signed" books, I don't know of any data to give you exactly what you are looking for. The census has the most accurate information and it only partially contains what you are looking for.

Btw - Congrats to whoever did win my 9.6 signed n sketched blue label #1 on C-Link.

They paid a lot less than I did for it way back when. Plus they got it for under the agreed trade value, upon using it towards my 9.8. (thumbs u

I really hope it was a TMNT Boardie who won and it owns it for a while. :headbang:

Missed the auction. What did it sell for?

Here's some good reading for you (relatively recent) regarding the print run of TMNT #1 1st printing. As for how many were signed on the inside, that's impossible to know without having all copies accounted for in some sort of census. Many copies of TMNT #1 are still raw and in the hands of private collectors (i.e., not tracked by CGC). I don't think Kevin & Peter ever pre-signed any copies before distribution but I know they signed copies personally for those asking back in the day. My copy was signed by Kevin before being slabbed but I don't think the CGC census notes whether the issues are signed or not. The label of the slab notes this but I don't see this info. anywhere on the census.

One auction that I had looked at stated that only x number were signed before sale. Other auctions have before stated other things....that of the 3000 copies (now 3275) that only x number were sold or x number were sent to libraries or given away etc.

Your link is great for a starting point of number produced but is there something concrete on what happened next? Is there anything to these claims made by eBay sellers or are they all made up?

One auction that I had looked at stated that only x number were signed before sale. Other auctions have before stated other things....that of the 3000 copies (now 3275) that only x number were sold or x number were sent to libraries or given away etc.

Your link is great for a starting point of number produced but is there something concrete on what happened next? Is there anything to these claims made by eBay sellers or are they all made up?

Whether they were given away, sold, thrown away, etc. wouldn't impact the print quantity one bit. It would impact only the amount available...which could lead to fewer available for sale. But your argument that this book is "too available" for sale seems very weird.

I'm getting confused about what it is you're wanting to know at this point. What concrete info. are you looking for? There were 3,275 copies made in 1984. It's 2015 and some copies get sold each week and some new ones come up available for sale every day. If you have doubts about the print run and, in your mind, that makes these books less valuable, then don't buy one. Case closed.