• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
24 24

8,386 posts in this topic

On 10/25/2021 at 9:49 PM, Turtle said:

As someone has said, he still signs privately, usually for personal friends.  As such, it's not crazy to see some of his signatures out there dated 2020 or 2021.

That said, I did see him at a very small show in New England back in July of 2018.  It was literally a series of 2-3 hotel ballrooms in a...Ramada (I think?).  As was the norm for Laird at the time, his appearance was announced only like a week before the 1-day show and it wasn't super widely publicized.  This meant that most people didn't hear about it until after it happened and even if they did hear about it, it was such short notice that getting there was an issue.  Jim Lawson and Steve Lavigne were also in attendance, though oddly enough they weren't sitting with Peter.  Peter had a corner table by himself.  I arrived at the show about 90 minutes after it opened and there was literally no one at his table (which is especially crazy considering what Kevin's lines look like these days). 

He was open to chatting a bit, signed a few items, and was selling some random sketches.

Here he is personalizing a sketch for a board member:

IMG_6313.thumb.JPG.80d34f4a67ad79d4d45a660599675150.JPG

In his portfolio, he was selling some TMNT sketches done by his brother, Bruce.  It was too random to pass up:

2116246656_TMNTLaird(Bruce)-Raphael.thumb.jpg.1461fb2201685c7d4ac2d834a40ad6da.jpg

In his free time, he was even knocking out a few full figure sketches and I was lucky enough to pick one up.  And it was my favorite turtle as well:

316592027_TMNTLaird-Donatello.thumb.jpg.8d3ede67c69c8abe96f2d0675c5f552f.jpg

It would not surprise me to learn that he did another few shows after this.  Around this time, he was doing small shows around New England.  I know he appeared at a cartoonist convention and also did a small pottery show before this appearance...both announced on very short notice.  But this was the last one I'm aware of.  Anyone know of any later?

Man I'd love to know what he charged, by chance the opportunity ever happened to me lol

But I'm sure itd have to be divine intervention for such opportunities or circumstances....., I dont just go to cons or hotels or etc 

Still THAT is a FUN story with the happenstance of it all! ^^

On 10/25/2021 at 11:08 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Man I'd love to know what he charged, by chance the opportunity ever happened to me lol

But I'm sure itd have to be divine intervention for such opportunities or circumstances....., I dont just go to cons or hotels or etc 

Still THAT is a FUN story with the happenstance of it all! ^^

Happenstance is a good word for it.  I remember the day before the show, my wife went on her trip (scheduled way before Laird was announced) with the kids to visit family out of town and I had to stay behind for work.  I was able to make a day trip out of it without feeling like I was missing out on anything at home. 

On 10/25/2021 at 10:49 PM, Turtle said:

As someone has said, he still signs privately, usually for personal friends.  As such, it's not crazy to see some of his signatures out there dated 2020 or 2021.

That said, I did see him at a very small show in New England back in July of 2018.  It was literally a series of 2-3 hotel ballrooms in a...Ramada (I think?).  As was the norm for Laird at the time, his appearance was announced only like a week before the 1-day show and it wasn't super widely publicized.  This meant that most people didn't hear about it until after it happened and even if they did hear about it, it was such short notice that getting there was an issue.  Jim Lawson and Steve Lavigne were also in attendance, though oddly enough they weren't sitting with Peter.  Peter had a corner table by himself.  I arrived at the show about 90 minutes after it opened and there was literally no one at his table (which is especially crazy considering what Kevin's lines look like these days). 

He was open to chatting a bit, signed a few items, and was selling some random sketches.

In his portfolio, he was selling some TMNT sketches done by his brother, Bruce.  It was too random to pass up:

2116246656_TMNTLaird(Bruce)-Raphael.thumb.jpg.1461fb2201685c7d4ac2d834a40ad6da.jpg

In his free time, he was even knocking out a few full figure sketches and I was lucky enough to pick one up.  And it was my favorite turtle as well:

It would not surprise me to learn that he did another few shows after this.  Around this time, he was doing small shows around New England.  I know he appeared at a cartoonist convention and also did a small pottery show before this appearance...both announced on very short notice.  But this was the last one I'm aware of.  Anyone know of any later?

It was a Best Western. He did one other show (besides the pottery show) in Massachusetts in October of 2018.  Since then he doesn't do appearances anymore.  Great love to Pete always, he's always been so kind to me, as have Kevin and Steve (and Dee, never forget Dee.)

O and of course Donny is your favorite turtle as well, no wonder why we always compete for the same stuff LOL.  

On 10/26/2021 at 3:49 AM, Turtle said:

Thanks for sharing such an awesome memory! Really glad I asked the question now, got some great stories back from you guys. It’s sort of sad Peter’s by himself. And sort of surreal to see the photo of Peter alone at the table. Here’s a guy that co-created something so huge. Yet he’s all by himself at this tiny table space. A surreal contrast. That’s just me thinking too deeply! I love both sketches. So glad I didn’t sell my Peter signed vol 4 issue 29 now! Thanks @Turtle for sharing another awesome turtle track!

On 10/26/2021 at 2:24 PM, jaybuck43 said:

It was a Best Western. He did one other show (besides the pottery show) in Massachusetts in October of 2018.  Since then he doesn't do appearances anymore.  Great love to Pete always, he's always been so kind to me, as have Kevin and Steve (and Dee, never forget Dee.)

O and of course Donny is your favorite turtle as well, no wonder why we always compete for the same stuff LOL.  

Ah so 2018 will probably be some of the last signed sketches! Interesting. Thanks @jaybuck43 for sharing your experience. Speaking of Donny I need to track down Donatello Brain Thief micro series from 2009. These now sell for crazy prices! 

On 10/26/2021 at 11:39 PM, jaybuck43 said:

No, like I said he still does private work for some of us. 

saPXZFvF_1010202134431gpadd.jpeg

That’s super cool! Dated 2019 too, like you said. I love the masks are colored. It’s not so usual to see Peter Laird sketches wearing the colored bandanas! Very nice art perfectly presented. 

On 10/28/2021 at 2:39 AM, jaybuck43 said:

642909472_WallofTurtles.thumb.jpg.5416d3d13df10a4e086b6cc26ba47f1e.jpg

Here's a peak.   The Big 4.  

#1 First Print 9.0

#1 Second Print 8.0 Signed by Kevin

#1 Third Print 9.4 Signed by Pete

#1 Fourth Print 9.2 Signed by Kevin

#1 Fifth Print 7.5 Signed by Kevin

#1 2009 Color Version (not error) 9.4 Signed by Kevin  (I have an error version as well, need to get that signed and graded)

#1 FCBD Version 9.6 Signed by Pete

#1 Archie Mini Series 9.8 Signed by Kevin

#1 Archie full run 9.4 Signed by Kevin

#2 First Print 9.4 

#2 Second Print 9.0 Signed by Kevin and Pete on the inside

#2 Second Print 7.5 Signed by Kevin and Pete on the inside

(I have a #2 Third Print raw I am waiting to get signed)

#3 First Print 9.6

#3 First Print  8.5 Signed by Kevin

#3 Second Print

#4 First Print 9.6

#4 First Print 7.5 Signed by Kevin

#4 Second Print 6.5 Signed by Kevin (I forgot to take a picture of that one lol )

Awesome collection! Oh to own a first print though! Very cool. Very lucky!