• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
24 24

8,382 posts in this topic

Thanks for sharing the book! It's definitely a gem. Many put it up there as the most important book of the 1980's and very possibly the most important book since the 1980's. Very cool, and I love the sketches. I try to get sketches from the TMNT artists myself, although Ryan Brown eludes me for the moment.

What little I know about historical guns I learned from watching Pawn Stars. I'm not sure how great an information source that is. I'm glad the book is in a collector's hands. So often in this hobby, books will fall into the hands of non-collectors and will subsequently be trashed and lost forever. Happy this one's safe. :)

If you submitted this to the CGC, it would get a green "qualified" label, which basically means they'll grade the book on based on the condition alone and while not authenticated, the sigs and sketches will be noted on the label. It will likely be noted as "names and sketches written on inside front cover in pen". You could also request a blue label, but they will count the sigs and sketches as defects and if this truly was a 9.0, it could grade anywhere from a 4.0 to a 7.5...it's a little unclear how much they would knock off for this. I'd recommend the qualified label if you get it graded.

It's the other way around - the sketches/sigs are on the interior of the cover, so it would be a blue label by default with the sketches/sigs counting as a defect :thumbsup:

It's the other way around - the sketches/sigs are on the interior of the cover, so it would be a blue label by default with the sketches/sigs counting as a defect :thumbsup:

Thanks kindly to all. Grading submissions on the unsigned issues a no brainer, but I'll leave this one alone, particularly if CGC will grade this as a "defect". I don't really see it as such, but they need to deal with varied and sometimes nefarious circumstance.....so I totally understand.

I appreciate the gracious help and acceptance of all.

If you submitted this to the CGC, it would get a green "qualified" label, which basically means they'll grade the book on based on the condition alone and while not authenticated, the sigs and sketches will be noted on the label. It will likely be noted as "names and sketches written on inside front cover in pen". You could also request a blue label, but they will count the sigs and sketches as defects and if this truly was a 9.0, it could grade anywhere from a 4.0 to a 7.5...it's a little unclear how much they would knock off for this. I'd recommend the qualified label if you get it graded.

Are you sure? I'm asking because I genuinely don't know. I always thought that it'd be Green by default if it was on the cover (inside or out) and blue by default if signed on the splash page.

Here's one example that led me to believe the blue labels are reserved for splash pages:

TalesofSuspense39.jpg

Are you sure? I'm asking because I genuinely don't know. I always thought that it'd be Green by default if it was on the cover (inside or out) and blue by default if signed on the splash page.

Here's one example that led me to believe the blue labels are reserved for splash pages:

TalesofSuspense39.jpg

It can even be blue with a sig on the outside. Bedrock's San Fransisco MMC with Alex Schomberg's sig on it is a 7.5 Blue. For a while, at the outset of Sig series, it seems like CGC was really up in the air about how to deal with non-witnessed sigs.

TalesofSuspense39.jpg

Yeah, I'm pretty sure - just off the top of my head, I have slabbed blue label copies of the JtHM #1 Special Edition and the Mouseguard sketchbooks all of which are signed & numbered on the inside front cover.

Here's one of the Mouse Guard ones:

mouse-guard-2007-sketchbook-cgc-9.8-f.jpg

Thanks kindly to all. Grading submissions on the unsigned issues a no brainer, but I'll leave this one alone, particularly if CGC will grade this as a "defect". I don't really see it as such, but they need to deal with varied and sometimes nefarious circumstance.....so I totally understand.

I appreciate the gracious help and acceptance of all.

I think you're reading too much into the use of the word "defect" :)

I'm fairly certain that CGC would look at the sketches & signatures and consider them totally neat, just like we do - but, when it comes to grading a book like this, the rules are pretty clear: you will only get a Signature Series yellow label if the sketches/sigs were witnessed by a CGC witness. What's special about the SS label is that it's qualified by default - the book is basically graded as if the signatures (or sketches) weren't present.

For all other unauthenticated signatures you either get a Qualified green label (if they're on the cover), or a Universal blue label (if they're on the interior). With a Qualified label, as the name suggests, the book is, again, graded as if the qualifying defect doesn't exist. Qualified labels do carry a certain stigma within the marketplace, though, and you commonly see books with green labels sell for much less than their blue label counterparts.

For a book destined for a Qualified label, you can usually request that it be put into a Universal label holder, and the qualifying defect will then impact the grade - for a large signature on the cover, this can result in a pretty heavy grade drop, and most people tend to shy away from this.

But ... when it comes to Universal label books with a signature on the inside, the grade drop because of the signature really isn't that bad - I personally own a handful of CGC 9.8 blue label books all with signatures on the inside, which wouldn't be possible if CGC hammered the grade because of this "defect".

So ... yes ... long story short - I'd get this book graded, if I were you :thumbsup:

Again, let's reiterate the fact that any signatures and sketches can only (though not always) could as defects in the upper echelons of high grade (i.e. 9.4 or higher). Even then as shown with the Mouse Guard books, they don't always knock signatures. But I would be VERY surprised if you had a 9.0 copy on your hands and they docked it for the sketches and signatures.

2c

AWESOME book by the way. Mine only has a signature and sketch on the inside by Laird and a signature from Eastman on the cover (and a mere 6.0).

O.K. I think I get the idea now. I'll send the first five or so through and get em' graded then drop back to report the result and, hopefully, how this one faired. No great loss on my part either way, and it really speaks more to my son's taste and foresight. This one's been around home a long time already. Again, thanks to all. Kudos for your acceptance of an obvious novice in dealing with CGC.

Here's a tough book. Up until this year, there were quite a few 9.6's and no 9.8's. Then a few months back, a board member got a 9.8 universal. I believe it ended up selling on ebay.

Then, I picked this one up from ebay raw, had it signed by Michael Dooney, and submitted it. The only 9.8 SS and 1 of 2 9.8's total. :cloud9:

TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles09SS.jpg

Here's a tough book. Up until this year, there were quite a few 9.6's and no 9.8's. Then a few months back, a board member got a 9.8 universal. I believe it ended up selling on ebay.

Then, I picked this one up from ebay raw, had it signed by Michael Dooney, and submitted it. The only 9.8 SS and 1 of 2 9.8's total. :cloud9:

TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles09SS.jpg

That's a pretty book. Congrats :applause:

That is one impressive comic book there. I wish I had it. However, since people here seem to know about TMNT rarities, I have a question for you guys to see if you guys know something that no one else does.

I know its not a comic, but I can't find any information on it ANYWHERE. This is a marketing presentation VHS of the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles live-action movie. This would be a copy of the tape sent out in special packaging before the movie was released to the general public. My best guess is that it was sent to stores so that they could either play it in their store or simply decide if they wanted to order copies of the film to sell or not. I am not really sure as I have never really run into anything like this before. Check out pictures.

tmnt2.jpg

tmnt1.jpg

tmnt3.jpg

CONTENTS:

The tape is about ten minutes long, and the "marketing presentation" brand it bears could not be more accurate. Essentially the tape shows voiceovers of the Turtles narrating marketing statistics, (whole lots of dollars and cents talk).

Some of the contents include: how much the movie made at the box office, how this compared to other movies at the time, the fact that it had one of the best opening days in history at that point, details of movie tie-ins and promotions, other TMNT merchandise available, marketing contests, the MANY ways the movie is going to be marketed, results of research polls showing the popularity of the movie and likelihood of purchase, available store displays, scenes of kids and parents expressing their love of the movie (MC Hammer does too), and lots of the like. All of this is intermingled with lots of scenes from the movie (in no particular order), scenes from the cartoon show, pictures of available toys, and the aforementioned interviews, etc. The main voiceover narration is in the voice of Michaelangelo, but the others chime in as well.

How much could something like this be worth? I wish there was a place where I could find out how many of these were made, distributed, confirmed destroyed, etc but I guess that is not likely considering I have yet to find anyone else that had even heard of this type of tape.

Does anyone here know what the gibberish they print on the backs of VHS tapes mean? I always figured that it was similar to a barcode, maybe there would be a way to get more information from that. Here is what is printed on the back of the tape:

M09563 T-10 PP-1 17038

IND-T.M.N.T. PROMO

As near as I can figure, "T-10" would mean the tape was 10 mins long, and the "IND" would mean the tape was from an independent source and not a major player in the industry. "T.M.N.T. PROMO" is self-explanatory. The rest I have no clue about.

Man... I remember standing in a line out around the block of my local movie theater waiting to get into that movie. Literally, they were going to cut off the line when it got to my dad (who was behind my two brothers, their buddy, and myself), but when said his kids were already admitted, they let him in and sent everyone else home for the night.

That theater was NUTS and this is one of my favorite movie night memories along with the rerelease of the Star Wars special edition films in the mid 90s, and LOTR.

I'm about to drop off about 20 TMNT books that I think most will come back with a 9.8 to CGC. I live in Sarasota and the CGC building is like 10 minutes from house which saves on shipping plus I'm always worried about the comics getting degraded or damaged during shipping. I'll post the rarer ones that come back with a high rating here. I'm hoping my Leonardo 1 shot comes back with a 9.8 as it's close and I want to be one of the only ones to have all the one shots as a 9.8. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Not exactly a TMNT book, but I thought I'd post it here for those who don't check the sig room. Here's a sketch from the forum's very own Bill Dinh (Billy the Kidd):

DarkAvengers1-DinhTMNT.jpg

DarkAvengers1-DinhTMNTBC.jpg