• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
23 23

8,274 posts in this topic

I got back from Heroes earlier this week where I was lucky enough to get on David Petersen's commission list. Given the great covers he's done for IDW's 1-shots, I don't see how I could have resisted. Very happy with the result:

TMNTPetersen-Team.jpg

Best one I have seen in a very long time! :applause:

I got back from Heroes earlier this week where I was lucky enough to get on David Petersen's commission list. Given the great covers he's done for IDW's 1-shots, I don't see how I could have resisted. Very happy with the result:

TMNTPetersen-Team.jpg

Nice, how much was David charging for a sketch like that TMNT?

Hi,

I hope this thread is freestyle all TMNT-related, because this is completely new... A family I know who lost their son in the early 90s is ready to let go of his comic collection and they asked me to have a look through it and give selling advice. It's been in a closet for 25 years and from what I have seen I'm impressed with how they have been preserved. I have a stack of the books to have a closer look, and I wondered if anyone could tell me how to identify a 1st printing of TMNT #3, and also how many printings were there. I'm assuming a 1st printing will simply be absent a notation of the printing. Just wanted to make sure I am looking in the right place. Same with #4. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

mr

Hi,

I hope this thread is freestyle all TMNT-related, because this is completely new... A family I know who lost their son in the early 90s is ready to let go of his comic collection and they asked me to have a look through it and give selling advice. It's been in a closet for 25 years and from what I have seen I'm impressed with how they have been preserved. I have a stack of the books to have a closer look, and I wondered if anyone could tell me how to identify a 1st printing of TMNT #3, and also how many printings were there. I'm assuming a 1st printing will simply be absent a notation of the printing. Just wanted to make sure I am looking in the right place. Same with #4. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

mr

1st print #3:

TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles03DoubleCoverSS.jpg

2nd print #3:

TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles03-2ndPrin.jpg

1st print #4:

TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles04-1stPrintSS.jpg

2nd print #4:

TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles04-2ndPrint96.jpg

#3 had a 1st printing (oversized) and a 2nd printing (new cover, standard sized). There is also an NYCC variant (oversized, same art as the 1st printing) that is missing the light blue portion of the cover...these are pretty rare as there were only 500 made.

#4 had a 1st printing (oversized) and a 2nd printing (new cover, standard sized). There is also a 2nd print variant with an error. It's got the cover to Tales of the TMNT #1 but the logo of TMNT #4. It's standard sized and is also pretty rare at 800-1000 copies.

Hope it helps.

TMNTPetersen-Team.jpg

came out awesome! congrats! :golfclap:

Right? I wonder how this will affect the market of the book in the future. 2 o the 10 books have now sold for under $1000.

I think that just leaves 4 copies of the book unaccounted for.

Edited by Archon_Turtle

I'm not sure it will affect the market one way or the other in that sense that there are only ten of them so the lucky owners can pretty much dictate their terms. It would take much more than $450 for me to part with mine if I had one, regardless of grade and regardless of recent sales. It's a grail for TMNT collectors so the market, I think, will be individualized to the seller and buyer at the time of each unique sale.

I'm not sure it will affect the market one way or the other in that sense that there are only ten of them so the lucky owners can pretty much dictate their terms. It would take much more than $450 for me to part with mine if I had one, regardless of grade and regardless of recent sales. It's a grail for TMNT collectors so the market, I think, will be individualized to the seller and buyer at the time of each unique sale.

Lord knows I paid more for mine :-P

Lord knows I paid more for mine :-P

Say that again. I couldn't hear you. I *think* you said you wanted to sell yours to me for way less than they just sold for on ebay?

So yes, my earlier statement is correct. There are now 6 of the 10 known to the fanbase.

I'm missing an image of one of them, but there are 3 on census, and 3 ungraded:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v247/JNCOPosterboy/Turtlemania%20Golds/

The missing photo is 9/10. So we (as a community) now have:

1/10

2/10

4/10

6/10

8/10

9/10

Leaving 3, 5, 7, and 10 still out there somewhere.

Edited by Archon_Turtle

I was the winner of those two auctions for Turtlemania Gold. I was completely shocked to see a Turtlemania Gold #4/10 with a Buy-It-Now of only $450.00. I decided to look at the seller's other items. Shocked again! Another Gold, #6/10, for the same $450.

I have the tracking number already, so the books should be in the mail on Monday. I will post some larger pics when I get the books. Also, I think the way the seller took photos of the books, they may be a little lower in grade than before the pictures. But hey, these are still only 1 of 10 Gold edition books.

Should I get these graded? I think it would be good mainly for the encapsulation/preservation of the books. I don't think the grade would really affect their value much due to the rarity.

Congrats on the pickup! A little jealous, but mainly happy that you got such a great deal! If you ever decide to sell either one, you know where to find me. :)