• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
23 23

8,338 posts in this topic

checked the back. No G to be found

I wonder if it was to be labeled "AMERICAN" or something else beginning with "AME" and then just got missed in the editing. Very odd stuff.

Not much in terms of an indicia in this book. After the final splash, there's a white page that list credits (some incorrectly):

CREDITS:

PETER LAIRD and KEVIN EASTMAN: WRITING and INKING

PETER LAIRD: TONING, LETTERING, and COVER ARTWORK

KEVIN EASTMAN: COVER LOGO

Does it list who the editor was for this edition?

Just thinking out loud, but is there any other franchise that's had such divergent takes on the characters where all takes have been successful? The cartoon and toys couldn't have been more of a 180 from the comics and yet all three were hugely successful.

I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a property that has the widespread market penetration of the TMNT that is well received despite the incarnation. However, the Next Mutation and Fast Forward were pretty big missteps in my book.

Though not all spin offs have been successful, Transformers have remained pretty popular and have had plenty of different takes.

Spider-man and Batman would probably fit the bill, too. Very popular. Lots of toys, movies, and shows.

Anyway, back the the questions at hand. I'm not sure we'll get an answer to this. Perhaps I'll pose it to the guys at Mirage the next time I have a chance. If they have an answer, I'll be sure to share it.

My last question (for now) revolves around this book:

TMNTSneakPeekSSDoubleSig.jpg

Does this book have a variant cover? For some time, I thought that this was the one and only cover for this book. A random ebay search proved me wrong when I came across this picture:

tmnt4sp1-tn.jpg

Notice the writing along the bottom under "Sneak Peek". It says "San Diego Comic Con Exclusive". I ended up buying the book and I expected the book that arrived to be missing the letters and that the seller was just using a stock photo. Lo and behold, he wasn't and I received exactly what was pictured.

Does anyone know the details? I know at least one of them was handed out during SDCC 2006 during the panel for the preview of the movie, though I don't know which. Does anyone know which one was handed out at the show and through which means was the other distributed? Anyone know the print run on either?

In any case, I've got to add one more to my running tally of TMNT books that pay homage to the cover of TMNT 1. :ohnoez:

I checked on both of these in my database. The only notes I recorded about the SDCC version is that it was handed out at the 2006 SDCC. For the regular version, my recollection is that this was a freebie given to comic shops for distribution (or given to those that subscribed to the other 2007 movie books). I remember that I found a copy in my comic subscription box at my local shop when I went to pick up my comics. Pretty sure I never specifically ordered it.

Speaking of which, I got this book in the mail yesterday, secretly (until now) and possibly, my favorite cover ever.

:cloud9:

$_57.JPG

doh!

I didn't pay enough attention to know that was you! I was the seller on that one. The cover caught my eye several years ago. I really liked 2007's take on the turtles. Different shades, different body types, and Mikey even had different colored eyes to enhance his "innocent look" (something I heard from someone working on the movie). Put them in the classic stance and you've got one memorable cover.

Edited by Peter Palmer

I checked on both of these in my database. The only notes I recorded about the SDCC version is that it was handed out at the 2006 SDCC. For the regular version, my recollection is that this was a freebie given to comic shops for distribution (or given to those that subscribed to the other 2007 movie books). I remember that I found a copy in my comic subscription box at my local shop when I went to pick up my comics. Pretty sure I never specifically ordered it.

So it sounds like it was just me being in the dark. I'll be sure to include a note for CGC as I'll likely be submitting my SDCC copy soon.

Rich, is your database public?

Rich, is your database public?

Not yet but it will be soon if all goes well. The database for my website is all built and I've been working on getting the actual website launched for years (my blog is just an extension of the full site). Hopefully will be launched by FCBD this year...*fingers crossed*

I have very fond memories of that TMNT/Pizza Hut cross-promotion. I went nuts for that 'Coming Out of Their Shells' tape. I don't know if anyone else subscribes to SiriusXM but every so often the 90s on 9 channel will play the song T-U-R-T-L-E Power. I never change the station when that song pops on.

Kinda silly find on ebay...from Pizza Hut.

And the word "cassette" ...reminds me how old I am :P

$_3.JPG

$_3.JPG

From this auction

lol

I have this somewhere…the tape and the poster!

Looking back it is a very strange thing, but I vividly remember listening to that tape for hours.

Thanks for the jog down memory lane!

Kinda silly find on ebay...from Pizza Hut.

And the word "cassette" ...reminds me how old I am :P

$_3.JPG

$_3.JPG

From this auction

I have lots of this type of stuff in my collection. I can't wait to show it all off. I love this old stuff...I was a teen in the mid-late 80's and there was a wealth of this stuff to be had. So cool !! Thanks for sharing.