• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
23 23

8,337 posts in this topic

TMNT #1 First Print CGC 9.6 on Comiclink

Comic Link January Focued Auction - TMNT #1 First Print

7 months before the movie release (August 12th, 2014 in a theatre near you).

:shrug:

Already over $1,000 (duh!), any guesses on final price?

hm

I am at $7,500 or more.

$9850.00 in the showcase showdown

Just over $7,500 with less than an hour to go!!!

:banana:

$8,261 not too shabby

GPA hasn't added this one for some reason.

C-link does not report to gpa

Yes, but I'm confused. I thought the new TMNT movie was going to use the same CGI technology they used for avatar?

What I see there are physical toy like things. Maybe someone who knows the process of such things can clarify.

With all that said, I really like the design of the turtles and Shredder so far!

If those are the real deal, I suppose they are more like 'real life' sketches. Instead of drawing/painting a character in different views on paper, making a sculpture might make more sense as a point of reference for the 3D modellers.

Yes, but I'm confused. I thought the new TMNT movie was going to use the same CGI technology they used for avatar?

What I see there are physical toy like things. Maybe someone who knows the process of such things can clarify.

With all that said, I really like the design of the turtles and Shredder so far!

Those are reference models. Particularly for lighting reference.

So this is the poster that was leaked showing a possible design for the turtles. I know a link was posted a few days ago, but the image moved and it took some time to track down:

y4rGiis.jpg

I have no idea if this is official or fan-made, but the images shown on Bleeding Cool (presumably from the set of the movie) show models that at least match those of Leo and Donnie.

Whether this is official or not, I'm not that big a fan of the designs shown here. Top to bottom, let's start with Donatello (my favorite). Even in old age, the turtles have never before shown a need for glasses. I get that the goggles may have a purpose beyond a style choice, but I'm not digging him having 2 sets of eyewear on his head. And look how bendy his shell is. There were parts in the live action movies from years ago where the shells bent quite a bit, but it was a costume and the actor needed to move. In a CGI setting, it just looks weird to me.

Mikey's design is the least offensive in this poster to me, though it looks like he's wearing puka shells and beads around his neck. Either one rubbing against a shell wouldn't make for a very stealthy ninja. He also has a very pronounced nose. In most incarnations, the nostrils have been pretty flush with the rest of the face. I'm not sure I like the change to a more protruding proboscis.

I get that Raphael is the tough one, but why is his shoulder so much bigger than his head? And his shell looks enormous. Much bigger than Mikey's or Leo's anyway.

Leo's shoulder looks out of place...like it's placed too high (right next to his head). I'm also not a fan of the outfit. Leo tends to be the one that follows the path of the ninja most closely. The chest portion looks loose, loud, and clunky without providing that much protection. Plus, I just think of Rufio from Hook when I see it.

250px-Rufio3.jpg

The models used on the set give the turtles a pretty lean look...somewhat tall with a tapered waist. That coupled with the stylized bandanas make it look a lot the the Next Mutation to me. That was the show where they gave all the turtles tapered waists, pecs, and abs:

show_still_2_-_nina_turtles_the_next_mutation-263x300.jpg

They show an image of the Shredder as well in the link above. I think there are some cool designs on it, but it looks like they took it way too far. Shredder is supposed to be a ninja master and in most incarnations, boasts superior speed as well as power over the turtles. The armor makes him look powerful, but not at all fast.

Finally, they did put some pictures of April (Megan Fox) from the set. I think Megan Fox is pretty, but when she was announced as April, I was unsure of the choice. These new images don't make me any more or less sure. I guess we'll see what kind of personality they give here. In other incarnations, she's been a reckless damsel in distress, a sharp lab technician, a capable high-schooler, and a well-versed ninja student. Who knows what she'll be here.

megan-fox-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-april-oneil-yellow-jacket-400x600.jpg

However, the Turtles have always been written as short. In this clip, one of them is shown to be quite a bit taller than April. I'm not sure I like the drastic height change. The turtles are typically 5'5" or under.

teenage%2Bmutant%2Bninja%2Bturtles%2B2014%2Bmovie%2B05.jpg

I'll definitely go see the movie, but the latest images have curbed my optimism a bit.

I agree - the poster is too much... maybe Michael bay is trolling us?

However, looking at the turtles from the perspective of the first Movie (with humans in costumes), the turtles in that poster do have a believable "creatureness" to them. As well, they seem to have different personalities. Maybe that's what they were going for, and these were just initial ideas or design concepts?

Not saying I like/dislike them either... I am numbing my emotions and reserving judgement until I see the final product (and they already made their money off a movie ticket from me)

:sumo:

I look at it this way toitle. I will wait till something official comes out (trailer/studio shots something) if it looks suspect/awful then I'll wait till Netflix so they DON'T get my money (because I don't want to support a bad movie, send a message to studios) If it looks ok/great then to the theater I go :)