• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
23 23

8,338 posts in this topic

6.0 up on eBay

TMNT 1 first print - CGC 6.0

$1,000 at time of post, 5 days to go (FYI - I love the item condition quote…).

These are starting to pop-up everywhere. There are three on Heritage and a handful in other places...

Went for $1,950, quite the bump from 2013 average around $1,500.

Any thoughts on how much this is movie related bump-age (and thus subject to deflation post movie) and how much is organic growth?

6.0 up on eBay

These are starting to pop-up everywhere. There are three on Heritage and a handful in other places...

Any thoughts on how much this is movie related bump-age (and thus subject to deflation post movie) and how much is organic growth?

I think it's both. Similar to AF15, I think more and more we'll see lower grade issues command more value. The movie hype has peaked people's interest, and since we are now in a place where speculators drive prices up, I think 6.0's will start selling for that or a little under. I thought it would go for around 1750 mark personally. My feeling is that lower grades will start showing a lot of growth in the upcoming months, and especially with more movie buzz (of course). We have to remember that prices have always jumped around in high grade (even prior to the movie stuff), and I think we'll see a lot more of that in low grade, especially around the fine mark.

Btw, those new turtle costumes look WACK, but I will of course see the movie. The costumes may change a bit, and I'm hoping those are just prototypes or something. These would be cool.

3F9B6446-A904-488C-8B14-1ED0B71497DF_zpsask3b5pe.jpg

6.0 up on eBay

I think it's both. Similar to AF15, I think more and more we'll see lower grade issues command more value. The movie hype has peaked people's interest, and since we are now in a place where speculators drive prices up, I think 6.0's will start selling for that or a little under. I thought it would go for around 1750 mark personally. My feeling is that lower grades will start showing a lot of growth in the upcoming months, and especially with more movie buzz (of course). We have to remember that prices have always jumped around in high grade (even prior to the movie stuff), and I think we'll see a lot more of that in low grade, especially around the fine mark.

Seems fairly accurate to me. In reality, I would believe that we may see some short term growth in all grades up until the movie, followed by a small price correction (to around +5-10% of the values pre-movie).

Question is, when do you sell? 5 years? 10 years? 20 years? I can believe there is a long runway on growth for this book, but I ponder how long it will last. Will today's youth who will think fondly of TMNT really going to spend thousands on something in a format they are very unfamiliar with (comic books, or really physical books in general)? Not as sure as I want to be...

In any case, we have another candidate up for sale on here:

TMNT 1 8.0 for sale on the boards

The value of TMNT 1 cannot be predicated strictly on the upcoming movie, as this property has cultural traction that is being propogated by a very successful Nickelodeon cartoon and a gold mine of an action figure line. It's been 30 years and the Turtles just keep on going. Excepting outlier sales I can't see this book doing anything but going up in perpetuity, it being the Action Comics 1/Amazing Fantasy 15 of the Copper Age. There are only 3000 or so copies hanging around and far more than 3000 people who would love to own one. I find myself paying a lot of attention to second printings, as prices for those seem to fall all over the map. I'm guessing collectors/speculators turn to second prints as a consolation prize for first prints but no one seems to know what kind of value that should bring.

That's a mean-looking Raph head!

I've got a few TMNT comic-related questions. I'll ask them one at a time. Here's the first:

Ebay Link

I've seen a book listed as an "error" book for the How to Draw the TMNT comic by Solson on ebay for several years. I'm not sure if the listing is just all the same seller or if it's been floating from owner to owner. My question is: is there really an error for this issue? The seller of the listing put 2 copies side by side and the "error" certainly has a different hue, but I'm not sure it's a manufacturing error in the traditional sense. Solson books have always looked pretty cheaply made to me and I'm betting there could have been some color issues at the beginning and/or end of the print run. CGC doesn't label this as an error. Is there a real error to speak of or is the seller just trying to create some rarity to his book?

Yes, the washed-out copy is a printing error copy. It's fairly hard to find and it's really only noticeable if you know to look for the drab colors (or see them side-by-side). It's rare but I don't know it's worth anywhere near what this seller is asking. I'd estimate it to be in the $100 range but, then again, I don't see them very often.

:cool:

Just the two guys I was hoping would chime in. By comparison, I think that one was pretty easy. I'll be pretty impressed if you guys (or anyone) gets the next two. For the record, I don't know the answer and am genuinely curious to find out.

Question 2: The Gamestop #1 reprint

I found this one out a few days ago when I was examining my copy a bit closer. Here's a stock photo:

288386.jpg

Notice the "TEE" in 'Teenage'...there's something printed over the top of it. Here's a closer picture:

IMG_1475.jpg

From the looks of it, it appears to be "AME". Any reason it's there? Some strange watermark? Printing error? If so, does the "AME" show up elsewhere on this issue? From what I've seen, it seems to be on all copies of the run.

Thoughts?

Question 2: The Gamestop #1 reprint

From the looks of it, it appears to be "AME". Any reason it's there? Some strange watermark? Printing error? If so, does the "AME" show up elsewhere on this issue? From what I've seen, it seems to be on all copies of the run.

Thoughts?

Now that is interesting and not something I ever noticed. I honestly don't see an "A" anywhere but I do see "ME." I looked at my copy and it indeed has the same markings.

Makes me wonder if that was done to hinder would-be counterfeiters given that the cover art is identical to the first 3 printings of #1. Still begs the question of what the actual characters stand for.

Does anyone have easy access to their copy of this? Mine is archived away. I'd be interested to see the publishing notes and legal stuff on the inside the comic. May provide some clues to this.

I honestly don't see an "A" anywhere but I do see "ME."
It's in the black part before the letters, closer to the spine. It's like trying to find Waldo... :gossip:

AndI as well have never noticed this so cool find! I agree it must have to do with the word GAME, since its the video game edition. Has anyone looked on back to see if the G is there? Maybe the full word was supposed to appear on the cover as a watermark of some sort to differentiate it a bit. Either way, pretty neat!

:hi: Guys. Don't know if this has been talked about yet. But I'm a TMNT fan as well, and my figure addiction runs just as deep as my comic addiction, if not more. Anyways I saw these in the LCS and am going to be getting them all, but I had to start with Leonardo. He was the last one and prolly the hardest to find. NECA put these out to represent the Turtles from the Kevin and Peter original comic book. But you guys prolly already knew that. lol Anyhooooooo ENJOY!! I'll post more pics when I take him outta the box.

photo_zps05742b41.jpg

Does anyone have easy access to their copy of this? Mine is archived away. I'd be interested to see the publishing notes and legal stuff on the inside the comic. May provide some clues to this.

Not much in terms of an indicia in this book. After the final splash, there's a white page that list credits (some incorrectly):

CREDITS:

PETER LAIRD and KEVIN EASTMAN: WRITING and INKING

PETER LAIRD: TONING, LETTERING, and COVER ARTWORK

KEVIN EASTMAN: COVER LOGO

At the bottom, it reads:

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES and TMNT © 2007 and trademark Mirage Studios, Inc. Any similarities between characters, names, persons, and/or institutions is not intended and if it exists is purely coincidental. TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES (including all prominent characters featured in this issue) and the distinctive likenesses thereof are trademarks of Mirage Studios, Inc. unless otherwise noted

The inside front cover has an ad for the action figures from the 2007 movie. The first page is an ad for Simon & Schuster books featuring the TMNT. The next page is an ad for gocomics.com. The last page is an ad for books by Mirage, and the inside back cover is an ad for the TMNT Fast Forward cartoon on 4Kids TV.

:hi: Guys.

Hi there ! :hi:

Those NECA figures were really great...some of my favorites. There is a discussion somewhere about these but I can't recall where. Anyway, you'll have to keep an eye out for knock-off versions of the NECA figures in the round / cylindrical containers. There were two versions, blister-pack / square packed and cylindrical. Apparently (and you'll have to forgive me...I'm not an expert on these), the cylindrical ones were either counterfeited or had replica / knock-off versions created and then sold as authentics. I don't know the signs to look for on the knock-off versions. I'm sure someone else here does though and will chime in.