• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
23 23

8,326 posts in this topic

I have two questions though.

1) Can CGC not grade this book(I don't know the actual size of it.)

2) How are we sure this isn't rigged? I for some reason don't trust this book being graded PGX. Color touch not being recognized and we all know it won't grade a 9.0 with CGC, if they can or could grade it.

I have two questions though.

1) Can CGC not grade this book(I don't know the actual size of it.)

2) How are we sure this isn't rigged? I for some reason don't trust this book being graded PGX. Color touch not being recognized and we all know it won't grade a 9.0 with CGC, if they can or could grade it.

It was a pleasure working with you, too. I'll be sure to keep you posted if I do any other TMNT-related signings in the future. (thumbs u

As for Gobbledygook, CGC won't grade it because there's a general rule that the company won't grade books that are 100% black and white due to the fact that without color, books are much easier to counterfeit. Add in the fact that these were copied on a Xerox machine on non-glossy paper and then hand-stapled and without solid provenance, it's tough to authenticate them. As such, CGC doesn't deal with them.

PGX has a bad track record. I wouldn't put it past them to take the book, slab a fake one and send it back to the owner. They were questioned a few years back for receiving a TMNT #1 1st print and sending back a slabbed 3rd print. PGX is not worth the risk on high value books. My 2c

It was a pleasure working with you, too. I'll be sure to keep you posted if I do any other TMNT-related signings in the future. (thumbs u

As for Gobbledygook, CGC won't grade it because there's a general rule that the company won't grade books that are 100% black and white due to the fact that without color, books are much easier to counterfeit. Add in the fact that these were copied on a Xerox machine on non-glossy paper and then hand-stapled and without solid provenance, it's tough to authenticate them. As such, CGC doesn't deal with them.

PGX has a bad track record. I wouldn't put it past them to take the book, slab a fake one and send it back to the owner. They were questioned a few years back for receiving a TMNT #1 1st print and sending back a slabbed 3rd print. PGX is not worth the risk on high value books. My 2c

Thanks! :) I only said that about PGX because a few years back I bought a DimePress first appearance of HellBoy graded at 8.5 for higher than I should have. Later sent it in to CGC and it came back a purple label and a 7.0. :(

CGC won't grade Gobbledygook. I've asked and, even with documented provenance, they refuse to grade my two sets of raw Gobbledygooks. As far as PGX goes, I'm not a fan. I own the only other graded set of Gobbledygook #1 & Gobbledygook #2 . They were already graded when I bought them. They are both 8.0 but I can't see how in the world they got such a high grade. In my opinion they are probably closer to 5.0 or 6.0. Will be interesting to see what this goes for. Wonder why the #2 isn't also being sold...I know I've seen it before.

Rwhorn the only thing is, the raw 1&2 had the amazing provenance with them, the fact that they were owned by Eastman, two letters detailing the provenance, sketches, photos etc. I think this book will end closer to 3k, maybe even 2500. The PGX worries the hell out of me. Also look at all the spine ticks. That book is so over graded it isn't even funny ;(

Ryan, the fact that its PGX doesn't make me question the authenticity. I am sure it is a legit copy. My point about the authenticity was to explain the value of the set going for 6K. I would totally pay more for a book that has a letter from Eastman explaining it was his personal copy. What worries me about PGX is missed color touch and the ridiculous overgrade, I mean look at the spine ticks :(

Ryan, the fact that its PGX doesn't make me question the authenticity. I am sure it is a legit copy. My point about the authenticity was to explain the value of the set going for 6K. I would totally pay more for a book that has a letter from Eastman explaining it was his personal copy. What worries me about PGX is missed color touch and the ridiculous overgrade, I mean look at the spine ticks :(
Exactly, honestly if I knew 110% that this book had no restoration done at all and was a legit copy then I'd go after it. It doesn't bother me about that grade. I can look at that book in the slab and know it's about a 5.5 or 6. I'm just worried it's had restoration done or a counterfeit. What to do..what to do.... :pullhair:

Rwhorn the only thing is, the raw 1&2 had the amazing provenance with them, the fact that they were owned by Eastman, two letters detailing the provenance, sketches, photos etc. I think this book will end closer to 3k, maybe even 2500. The PGX worries the hell out of me. Also look at all the spine ticks. That book is so over graded it isn't even funny ;(

Great points...and I'm with you regarding provenance as the main selling point to the other set. But these pretty much never get graded so, although it's PGX, that could be key to a potential buyer. A rare book that rarely gets graded...regardless of actual condition. Will be interesting to watch. :popcorn: