• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
23 23

8,268 posts in this topic

I am trying to figure out a budget for a copy of TMNT #1 and was wondering what a ball park price is for a copy of TMNT #1 First Print CGC 3.0 - 5.0? GPA is all over the place and not very reliable due to the lack of sales (in all grades) and Ebay sales are typically for the CGC 7.0+ grades.

I am trying to figure out a budget for a copy of TMNT #1 and was wondering what a ball park price is for a copy of TMNT #1 First Print CGC 3.0 - 5.0? GPA is all over the place and not very reliable due to the lack of sales (in all grades) and Ebay sales are typically for the CGC 7.0+ grades.

I don't have any "firm" data but I saw Mile High Comics just had a 5.5 (I think) in their recent live auction. It sold and I think it went for just under $2K.

$1500-2100

You also have to remember there are not a ton of low grade ones so they don't pop up often and there are tons of people who just want a copy to get in the club so the price can go a bit higher if two people decide they really want a copy at that moment. Maybe you could go slightly lower if you found a 3.0 with a particularly nasty defect like a moderate piece out or something like that.

As others have said, there aren't too many graded copies in that condition. 620 graded copies on the census...only 29 in your grade range. That's less than 5% of the graded copy population.

The phenomenon that happens with lower-graded copies is that a lot of people see it as their one chance to snag an affordable copy...only a LOT of people are having this thought and a bidding war ensues. This is often why there's very little difference in price between low-mid and mid-high grade copies.

You'd be better off saving up for just a little bit longer and getting something in the 6.5 to 8.0 range. They come up more frequently (so you can be picky), they present better, and it'll cost roughly 25%-40% more than the grade you're looking for. My 2c

Thanks everyone for the feedback on the price range - it is what I expected. I figured the lower grade copies would be in high demand - so as advised it may be better to save a wee bit longer and aim for something in the 7.0 range :D

I would like to ask for some kind assistance from the members of this community. I'm headed to my framer to get Raph page #7 framed and I would like to solicit some thoughts/ideas for what to do. I'm open to pretty much anything so I would like to solicit your thoughts. The piece will use my standard frame (see an image below of another piece I have framed, around the same size) and use Museum glass of course. Other then that I am open to all other suggestions. Number of/ type of/ color of mat(s), small gold plaque with information on it, any other kind of suggestions. Would love to get your thoughts. I feel that while I own this, it is such an important piece for all of us turtle fans that it is my duty more as a caretaker and less as a dictator. Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

This is what my standard frame looks like:

15116656058_2f6f172bd5_c.jpg

standard looks great. I would do it that same way. IMO the gold plaques look a little.. pretentious maybe? No offense to those that have them, just not for me

Let me ask you guys a question,for I want to make sure of print runs.

TMNT #1's

1st print 3250?

2nd print 6000 ? ( overstreet has it at 15,000)

3rd print 35,000 ? (Overstreet has it at 36,000)

Per "turtlemania" and Mirage:

TMNT #1 (first printing) - 3,000

TMNT #1 (second printing) - 6,000

TMNT #1 (third printing) - 35,000

TMNT #1 (fourth printing) - 60,000

TMNT #2 (first printing) - 15,000

TMNT #2 (second printing) - 30,000

TMNT #3 (convention edition) - 500

TMNT #3 - 50,000

TMNT #4 - 60,000

TMNT #5 - 60,000

TMNT #6 - 65,000

TMNT #7 - 95,000

Gizmo - 32,000

Prime Slime Tales - 35,000

Fugitoid - 60,000

Michaelangelo micro-series - 60,000

Raphael micro-series - 60,000

Donatello micro-series - projected over 100,000

Gobbledygook #1 (1984) - 150

Gobbledygook #2 (1984) - 150

Per "turtlemania" and Mirage:

TMNT #1 (first printing) - 3,000

TMNT #1 (second printing) - 6,000

TMNT #1 (third printing) - 35,000

TMNT #1 (fourth printing) - 60,000

TMNT #2 (first printing) - 15,000

TMNT #2 (second printing) - 30,000

TMNT #3 (convention edition) - 500

TMNT #3 - 50,000

TMNT #4 - 60,000

TMNT #5 - 60,000

TMNT #6 - 65,000

TMNT #7 - 95,000

Gizmo - 32,000

Prime Slime Tales - 35,000

Fugitoid - 60,000

Michaelangelo micro-series - 60,000

Raphael micro-series - 60,000

Donatello micro-series - projected over 100,000

Gobbledygook #1 (1984) - 150

Gobbledygook #2 (1984) - 150

Thanks brother. (worship)

CGC has slabbed counterfeits in the past:

2504142332181.jpg

TMNT-02_counterfeit_rich.jpg

For some weird reason, there is a market for TMNT counterfeits. I think people consider them a variant because of how they were produced etc.