• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
23 23

8,285 posts in this topic

For volume 1, this is the core "must-read" list in my opinion. There are some excellent issues outside of these, but these are the core issues that contain the main history of the TMNT. Issues 1-21 should remind you of the events from the original 1990 live-action movie with a space adventure mixed in.

The Mikey and Don one-shots don't have much to do with the over-arching story, but they're good stories nonetheless. Here's the reading order:

1-3

Raphael one-shot

Fugitoid one-shot

5-7

Michelangelo one-shot

Donatello one-shot

8-9

Leonardo one-shot

10-12

19-21 (Return to New York)

50-62 (City at War)

For volume 1, this is the core "must-read" list in my opinion. There are some excellent issues outside of these, but these are the core issues that contain the main history of the TMNT. Issues 1-21 should remind you of the events from the original 1990 live-action movie with a space adventure mixed in.

The Mikey and Don one-shots don't have much to do with the over-arching story, but they're good stories nonetheless. Here's the reading order:

1-3

Raphael one-shot

Fugitoid one-shot

5-7

Michelangelo one-shot

Donatello one-shot

8-9

Leonardo one-shot

10-12

19-21 (Return to New York)

50-62 (City at War)

Thanks! Last question TMNT Adventures seeing that as the 1st Bebop, Rocksteady & Krang is this true? When I look at CGC labels don't see it.

CGC doesn't always have a lot of information on titles that had smaller followings than those of Marvel & DC. Thus, if you want a note added to a CGC label that isn't already there, you need to submit a note with the book. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I added some notes to some volume 1 TMNT books that made it on (1st Karai, 1st Shadow), but my notes for Tales of the TMNT volume 1 were ignored (1st Rat King, 1st Leatherhead, etc.). It can be hit or miss sometimes.

An important distinction here is that the TMNT Adventures title is NOT the first appearance of Bebop, Rocksteady, & Krang...rather it is their first appearance in comics. It seems like a small distinction, but a distinction that should be made nonetheless. These characters were made for the cartoon first and were adapted to the comics and not the other way around.

This question has been asked a surprising number of times (in a variety of locations) in the last year or so. Any reason for this? Was it because Bebop & Rocksteady got introduced in the IDW comic? Because they were introduced into the Nick cartoon? Because they were announced to appear in the next live-action movie? Who knows. My advice is this...if you want a copy of the book to have the characters' first appearance in comics in your collection, great. Show them off here when you get them as I always love seeing new TMNT books. If you're looking for a windfall, your money could be better spent elsewhere. I just don't see this book jumping in value any more than 10%. It's just too readily available and most that want one already have it.

True about them appearing on tv first. This is what always gets me about BA 12. Harley Quinn appeared a year or more earlier in other media.

Another thing about the B&R appearances is that they are merely adaptations of the earlier-aired cartoon episodes. I never considered their first comic book appearances special since the characters were made for the tv show, and that's where they first appeared.