• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A little corner of the UK
2 2

9,411 posts in this topic

Watched Killing Joke at the Roundhouse last night, f**king awesome!

Loudest gig I've been to in years, you could actually feel the music it was that loud.

:applause:

Saw Simple Minds at the Roundhouse last Friday, doing songs from their first five albums. Awesome! Also saw The Damned and Nouvelle Vague there not too long ago. Great venue, easy to get to the front and easy to get a drink from the bar, perfect.

:applause:

Hellooooooo, is there anybody in here? (shrug)

Just been to my LCS, Limited Edition Comix in Stevenage with the sole intention of buying a hundred bags and walked out with an Iron Fist 14 and Marvel Premiere 15 :facepalm:.

He's just bought two collections from the States, the first containing an unbroken run of ASM 1-400 plus a load of other great stuff. The second which arrives this Wednesday is a huge bronze age collection. I guess I'm lucky to have a shop like this nearby but I really don't want to be spending at the moment after bankrupting myself at London SuperCon. :cry:

Just goes to show that the back issue market is in much better health than some would have you believe though.

Anyway, as I'm now completely broke, thought some of you might like to know about this as you might be able to pick some stuff up without the usual nightmare shipping costs from buying from the US.

Not intended as spam as of no benefit to me but just thought you might like a heads up. (thumbs u

cheers Whizzer, will keep a eye out, gonna have some funds hopefully as i put up the Walking Dead 1 on feebay that i bought at the LSCC after seeing one go for £360 today. has been dead in here recently due to London done and dusted it seems.

Just been to my LCS, Limited Edition Comix in Stevenage with the sole intention of buying a hundred bags and walked out with an Iron Fist 14 and Marvel Premiere 15 :facepalm:.

(thumbs u

What grades were the books? :applause:

Glad to hear that Rich is still pulling the collections in, I believe he's having TEN tables at LSCC next year. :eek:

cheers Whizzer, will keep a eye out, gonna have some funds hopefully as i put up the Walking Dead 1 on feebay that i bought at the LSCC after seeing one go for £360 today. has been dead in here recently due to London done and dusted it seems.

Good luck with the WD, let us know how it goes. :wishluck:

(thumbs u

What grades were the books? :applause:

Glad to hear that Rich is still pulling the collections in, I believe he's having TEN tables at LSCC next year. :eek:

Awesome books - Iron Fist :cloud9:

Nearly all the books were VF or better. Some of the early Spideys were beautiful with really rich colours.

The MP 15 is a solid VF and the IF14 presents as a NM but has 2 barely visible tears, one on the fc and one on the bc so the technical grade is probably a F+ or so.

It's amazing to walk into a retail shop in the UK and see books like this for sale. Rich wants to concentrate on this side of the business now as he has proved that shops can sell back issues.

His inventory will likely never be as good as Nick's for instance, but it's probably the best stocked retail shop in the country.

With dealers like Comicana Direct, Shops like Limited Edition and Cons like London SuperCon there probably has never been a better time for collectors of old comics in the UK. :banana:

Nearly all the books were VF or better. Some of the early Spideys were beautiful with really rich colours.

The MP 15 is a solid VF and the IF14 presents as a NM but has 2 barely visible tears, one on the fc and one on the bc so the technical grade is probably a F+ or so.

It's amazing to walk into a retail shop in the UK and see books like this for sale. Rich wants to concentrate on this side of the business now as he has proved that shops can sell back issues.

His inventory will likely never be as good as Nick's for instance, but it's probably the best stocked retail shop in the country.

With dealers like Comicana Direct, Shops like Limited Edition and Cons like London SuperCon there probably has never been a better time for collectors of old comics in the UK. :banana:

+1

I really believe that LSCC has given the UK industry a well deserved kick to the nadgers. Wandering raound the stalls and listening to the conversations between buyers and dealers there were obviously a lot of noobs / starters asking genuine questions about starting up a collection and grading (Every time I passed Nick he was giving someone advice on what to buy).

Combine that with the sudden lack of Forbidden Planet and the other usual suspects **cough-Incognito-cough** (Probably due to the self awareness that their own stock and grading would be laughed out of the water) it shows that UK collectors are now becoming more decerning and demanding of quality.

With demand comes supply :wishluck:

+1

I really believe that LSCC has given the UK industry a well deserved kick to the nadgers. Wandering raound the stalls and listening to the conversations between buyers and dealers there were obviously a lot of noobs / starters asking genuine questions about starting up a collection and grading (Every time I passed Nick he was giving someone advice on what to buy).

Combine that with the sudden lack of Forbidden Planet and the other usual suspects **cough-Incognito-cough** (Probably due to the self awareness that their own stock and grading would be laughed out of the water) it shows that UK collectors are now becoming more decerning and demanding of quality.

Well said. Incognito and Silver Acre have had it too easy for too long and have gotten away with murder. Hopefully, this fresh competition coming in offering deep inventories of properly graded, fairly priced books will put them in their place. It's up to us to support the good guys and make our fellow collectors aware of the bad ones.

+1

Well said. Incognito and Silver Acre have had it too easy for too long and have gotten away with murder. Hopefully, this fresh competition coming in offering deep inventories of properly graded, fairly priced books will put them in their place. It's up to us to support the good guys and make our fellow collectors aware of the bad ones.

Back in the dim and distant past I had some decent transactions with Dave Finn of Incognito.

I don't know if Dave even does the grading anymore or whether it's a case that he's become complacent over the years but I probably wouldn't buy from him currently.

As for Silver Acre I wouldn't touch Darryl with a barge pole.

The back issue scene in the UK was due a shake-up and it can only be good thing for us when the established "names" are given a swift (hard) kick up the collective arse...