• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help me learn about pricing OA

23 posts in this topic

So there is a piece I am interested in and I did inquire about it and received a quote that was less than specific. I would like to pick the brain of this board and see what the consensus agreed upon cost of the piece would be.

Cool lines Art has this item up for sale....

Super cool El Diablo page that Shooty would love to have.

Just what kind of price can a person expect to pay for an item such as this? I am hoping for experienced answers so that I can know what to expect in the future as to what I need to bring to the table.

I don't have a copy of this comic but if you do, you should know that page 3 was up on ebay and didn't sell at $240. Page 5 didn't sell at $190. Page 6 didn't sell at $215. I am not sure if these pages are better or worse than the #10 you are looking at but it is just a reference. I suggest joining comicartfans.com and looking over their market data tool. It is awesome and that is where I got these figures from.

I don't have a copy of this comic but if you do, you should know that page 3 was up on ebay and didn't sell at $240. Page 5 didn't sell at $190. Page 6 didn't sell at $215. I am not sure if these pages are better or worse than the #10 you are looking at but it is just a reference. I suggest joining comicartfans.com and looking over their market data tool. It is awesome and that is where I got these figures from.

I am and I did and the numbers you give me were what I was thinking. However, the quoted value was considerably higher. I would like this page so I will keep a close watch on it for now.

Although I haven't been able to take irchooker's advice completely, I have now learned that unless you have bottomless pockets, to walk away from a COOLINES piece unless they have posted an actual price. If it says INQUIRE... trust me...don't bother.

the quoted value was considerably higher.

Welcome to the hobby. The best thing to learn: learn to walk away. There are probably 1,000,000 pages of OA out there. Something else will always come along.

Totally agree. And while you are learning to walk away you will learn which dealers are easy, hard or indifferent to work with.

You will find that some folks are a pleasure to work with, including Mitch who posted in this thread, while others are darn near impossible to work with.

Normally, the higher the total number of pieces a dealer has listed "inquire" on his website or the higher the total number of pieces are unpriced on his convention table the higher the level of difficulty in dealing with.

If the price you got quoted was $400-500-600 for a $200 piece then you have an idea of:

1) why it was marked inquire (because if they posted the price their site would be considered a comedy site and not an dealer site and cobwebs would be growing on their email in box)

2) what the relative price structure on the other "inquire" pieces will be

and

3) how difficult it might be to deal with this seller from a fair market value to asking price to "squeel like a pig" perspective.

C

Although I haven't been able to take irchooker's advice completely, I have now learned that unless you have bottomless pockets, to walk away from a COOLINES piece unless they have posted an actual price. If it says INQUIRE... trust me...don't bother.

Agree 100%

Coolines will quote you a different price each time you ask. Very hard to deal with.

It is sad the brothers hoard so much art and have no concept of 'fair' or 'reasonable' market value. They have 5-10 pieces I would buy if they approximated current value, but at 2x or 3x...you have to walk away and find similar examples.

The worst part is the constant price changes. One month 1k. 3 months later 2500...1 year later 3750!

Has anyone ever tried to point out to them what a similar piece goes for, compared to what they are selling and gotten a rationale for their price?

A good price range from the board and numbers that I absolutely agree with. It's not all about the art, though.

If Gray Morrow were a higher dollar artist...and, personally, I think he oughta be...then a higher $ dollar would be justified. This is a very nice page. Currently, Morrow originals aren't given their proper respect, value-wise, and can usually be had fairly cheaply.

Are these brothers more collectors than resellers in that they are true art fans who enjoy acquiring artwork, but in the same breath are always looking to add to their collections, and without limitless finances, they just post their collection up for viewing with obscenely high prices as "the price it would take to sell it from my personal collection because I love it so much" (but every piece has a price, so to speak - - and it helps fund other purchases they acquire) or are they really buisnessmen type resellers with more greed than fandom for the hobby?

Personally I think you can get that piece for a lot cheaper. That piece should be more in the 80-100 range but that's just my opinion.

Multiply that by a factor of 10 and you still havent reached the top end of what was quoted to me.

Unbelievable.

A good price range from the board and numbers that I absolutely agree with. It's not all about the art, though.

If Gray Morrow were a higher dollar artist...and, personally, I think he oughta be...then a higher $ dollar would be justified. This is a very nice page. Currently, Morrow originals aren't given their proper respect, value-wise, and can usually be had fairly cheaply.

very true

One of the frustrating things about this hobby: the people with the stuff you want usually do not need to sell their stuff, so you end up forced into trying to "pry" the particular piece away, which can get very expensive.

Comic art is different than comic books in that: A) it takes up practically no storage space and B) it's unique, you can't just wait for another copy to come up on eBay next week.

Sellers like Coollines know this, and patience has paid off time and time again for them in the form of $$$$. You have to be patient yourself, another similar piece will eventually show its face at a more reasonable price.

Sellers like Coollines know this, and patience has paid off time and time again for them in the form of $$$$. You have to be patient yourself, another similar piece will eventually show its face at a more reasonable price.

This is so true. Their asking prices are insane 99/100 times and then all of a sudden you'll hear they made a sale for top top dollar (which only reinforces their practices) and all you can do is doh!

the quoted value was considerably higher.

Welcome to the hobby. The best thing to learn: learn to walk away. There are probably 1,000,000 pages of OA out there. Something else will always come along.

Totally agree. And while you are learning to walk away you will learn which dealers are easy, hard or indifferent to work with.

You will find that some folks are a pleasure to work with, including Mitch who posted in this thread, while others are darn near impossible to work with.

Normally, the higher the total number of pieces a dealer has listed "inquire" on his website or the higher the total number of pieces are unpriced on his convention table the higher the level of difficulty in dealing with.

If the price you got quoted was $400-500-600 for a $200 piece then you have an idea of:

1) why it was marked inquire (because if they posted the price their site would be considered a comedy site and not an dealer site and cobwebs would be growing on their email in box)

2) what the relative price structure on the other "inquire" pieces will be

and

3) how difficult it might be to deal with this seller from a fair market value to asking price to "squeel like a pig" perspective.

C

Hi everyone,

I'm pretty new to the O.A. scene, and found this dealer from searching out "Death/Gaiman" pieces I was interested in. His prices seem to be way overpriced, even on ebay. It almost makes me want to stick to the comic collecting, and not even venture into the world of O.A.

Keep in mind that price is also relative to the individual, book and/or content. The popularity and sheer demand of the Sandman books means those pages tend to not be cheap if it contains certain characters, and of course each page needs to be judged individually. Just saying, don't expect too many Sandman/Death pages around that most would consider cheap.

-e.