• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

23,019 posts in this topic

When I collect (since I can't collect everything) I try to make the entire collection aesthetically balanced. This was my "black cover" book in the collection. I don't have one now so I feel like things are out of balance right now. I mean I love the Timely reds and yellows but the black and green books (so rare) just make things more well rounded.

It's a really pretty 6.5 at that.

Is it just me, or is there something about Timely books that make them look better in a scan than similarly-graded DC books? I don't know if it's cover stock / gloss, the color palette used (those bright reds for example) or what.

I first noticed this when Bedrock started posting his books, he's got some absolutely jaw-dropping stuff that in a lot of cases just looks better in the scan than the label would indicate, compared to other GA books.

Edited by markav

Is it just me, or is there something about Timely books that make them look better in a scan than similarly-graded DC books? I don't know if it's cover stock / gloss, the color palette used (those bright reds for example) or what.

I first noticed this when Bedrock started posting his books, he's got some absolutely jaw-dropping stuff that in a lot of cases just looks better in the scan than the label would indicate, compared to other GA books.

might just be the sometimes (not always!) superior cover art

or that they seem to pop up much more often in higher grade/state of preservation from the equally aged conterparts?

or that they seem to pop up much more often in higher grade/state of preservation from the equally aged conterparts?

yeah, what he said

Or they are just better. :whistle:

...but that's not what he was asking...why when in similar grade do the Timelys have better eye appeal?

yeah , what he said

...why when in similar grade do the Timelys have better eye appeal?

Since "Because they are better" isn't a good enough answer I guess we are going to have to do some research and get some scientists in here to give us a long dissertation on the relative merits of comparative paper compositions, ink degradation, and subliminal artistic implications.

Until then I will go with..."Because they are better". :grin:

Since "Because they are better" isn't a good enough answer I guess we are going to have to do some research and get some scientists in here to give us a long dissertation on the relative merits of comparative paper compositions, ink degradation, and subliminal artistic implications.

yeah, what he said

yeah, what he said

Me too. (thumbs u

BTW, a little late in replying, but thanks for the replies on my "slightly restored" HT #17. I am ok with it, and basically got it through trading a bunch of my mid-grade Silver Age books. I do feel better hearing your replies.

Thanks again — Rick

yeah, what he said

Could it be that the artwork is just a little more engrossing?

BTW I do agree they are better...I was just trying to be a little more...clinical about it.

Timelys, Basketball, Jack Daniels and Women...in no particular order.

:cloud9:

Timelys, Basketball, Jack Daniels and Women...in no particular order.

:cloud9:

Women, Timelys, Jack Daniels and Baseball. (thumbs u

Ha. Yeah... I'm starting to think it's those bright reds and yellows, for one thing. Combined with the fact that they don't seem to have faded / worn as much with age, some how. Makes the physical defects less obvious, perhaps.

Edited by markav

Two new Schomburg Timelys...a shark tank and nazi camp!

Mystic #10

2985696550_4571227a09_b.jpg

GE

wow D, you are hitting some home runs lately too (and even that YA bunt is ok :baiting: )