• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

23,019 posts in this topic

Just got this back from CGC, I traded a few books with Chris Foss at the Heroes Con this summer and finally decided to send this in to be slabbed. Needless to say I was thrilled when I got it in the mail this week. The scan doesn't do it justice. (Pardon my lame attempt to piece two scans together in Photoshop, but my scanner won't get the entire book). This is the nicest copy of this issue I have ever seen and it has great interior art and stunning white pages. Interesting that CGC doesn't give a cover art credit. I know there has been some debate about this being a Schomburg cover. I'm not sure, but it is very Schomburg-ish. What do you guys think?

— Rick

HT9large.jpg

one of my favorite torch covers. just stunning. and i want to know why it isn't a 9.2.

Just my opinion, but it seems to be Schomburg "like" and while has some qualities of him, I am not completely sure it is. I think it looks like someone trying to do Schomburg or it could have been he was very busy that month and didn't spend his normal time on the cover. The details are only half there compared to most of his covers and the composision is weaker than a great deal of his work. There are some similar traits, but they are not as prevalant. Either way, a truely stunning book, and very nice with white pages to boot. Congrats!

Paul

Just got this back from CGC, I traded a few books with Chris Foss at the Heroes Con this summer and finally decided to send this in to be slabbed. Needless to say I was thrilled when I got it in the mail this week. The scan doesn't do it justice. (Pardon my lame attempt to piece two scans together in Photoshop, but my scanner won't get the entire book). This is the nicest copy of this issue I have ever seen and it has great interior art and stunning white pages. Interesting that CGC doesn't give a cover art credit. I know there has been some debate about this being a Schomburg cover. I'm not sure, but it is very Schomburg-ish. What do you guys think?

— Rick

HT9large.jpg

one of my favorite torch covers. just stunning. and i want to know why it isn't a 9.2.

Just my opinion, but it seems to be Schomburg "like" and while has some qualities of him, I am not completely sure it is. I think it looks like someone trying to do Schomburg or it could have been he was very busy that month and didn't spend his normal time on the cover. The details are only half there compared to most of his covers and the composision is weaker than a great deal of his work. There are some similar traits, but they are not as prevalant. Either way, a truely stunning book, and very nice with white pages to boot. Congrats!

Paul

Thanks guys. I feel fortunate to have come across this book. I happen to agree that it looks like someone trying to immitate Schomburg. There are a lot of similarities, but no quite there. Still a great cover.

BTW, that's a great Destroyer cover guys. (thumbs u

Here's another one of my favorite Timely's. Now this is a definate Schomburg! I love these giant Subby covers. — Rick

Subby15.jpg

— Rick

HT9large.jpg

Paul

Thanks guys. I feel fortunate to have come across this book. I happen to agree that it looks like someone trying to immitate Schomburg. There are a lot of similarities, but no quite there. Still a great cover.

BTW, that's a great Destroyer cover guys. (thumbs u

Here's another one of my favorite Timely's. Now this is a definate Schomburg! I love these giant Subby covers. — Rick

Subby15.jpg

That is a great cover, I love the Schomburg Pill Box Covers...I think USA 13 has Cap and Bucky running over one...great book

Paul

— Rick

HT9large.jpg

Paul

I don't have my Gerber handy..what does it say about the credits for the cover art on the HT 9?

I submitted this book back in the summer and it came back PLOD "Cover Cleaned". I was wondering what you guys thought about books with this amount of restoration. No pieces added, tear seals, etc., but still purple. Do you keep restored books in your collection? Is "cover cleaned" considered a little resto? Or, is restored is restored is restored? How much does this affect the value of the the book when you go to sell it? I'm not necessarily looking to sell, but may decide to return it to the seller. It is still such a pretty book, and actually looks better than 7.5. Does the restoration bring down the overall grade? Please give me your opinions.

Thanks — Rick

HT17-1.jpg

I submitted this book back in the summer and it came back PLOD "Cover Cleaned". I was wondering what you guys thought about books with this amount of restoration

doesn't bother me, as long as I pay a "restored" price. No pieces added, tear seals, etc., but still purple. Do you keep restored books in your collection?

you bet...sometimes an affordable way to own a book!Is "cover cleaned" considered a little resto?

most consider is "slight"

Or, is restored is restored is restored?

preference is slight,then moderate, then EXt...while there are more than 3 levels of resto, the first 2 are generally more desirable, unless a really rare bookHow much does this affect the value of the the book when you go to sell it?

depends on the book, supply, demand, pricing history etc...a myriad of variables

I'm not necessarily looking to sell, but may decide to return it to the seller. It is still such a pretty book, and actually looks better than 7.5. Does the restoration bring down the overall grade?

CGC usually drops .5 to a 1.0 point for slight resto... Please give me your opinions.

Awesome book, and I proudly own more than a few purple label books with the cover cleaned. :cloud9:

Thats the good news.

The bad news is I have picked up all my purple cover cleaned books for less than 50% of the unrestored price. Unless you got this for a song, I would try to at least get a partial refund, if not just flat out returning the book. :sorry:

I submitted this book back in the summer and it came back PLOD "Cover Cleaned". I was wondering what you guys thought about books with this amount of restoration. No pieces added, tear seals, etc., but still purple. Do you keep restored books in your collection? Is "cover cleaned" considered a little resto? Or, is restored is restored is restored? How much does this affect the value of the the book when you go to sell it? I'm not necessarily looking to sell, but may decide to return it to the seller. It is still such a pretty book, and actually looks better than 7.5. Does the restoration bring down the overall grade? Please give me your opinions.

Thanks — Rick

HT17-1.jpg

Keep it unless you paid way over guide for it. Everyone has some purple label books at some point or another, its not as bad as some people made it (restored labels) out to be.

Keep it unless you paid way over guide for it. Everyone has some purple label books at some point or another, its not as bad as some people made it (restored labels) out to be.

You would fully realize any loss by selling it now (if you paid an unrestored price for it). Maybe someday restoration of books will be come less of an issue, as it seems to be much more of an accepted practice in other areas of collectibles.

That is an extremely good looking book. If the purple label is bothers you, there is always the option of de-slabbing it.

This came back from CGC. I won't be keeping it which sure is a shame but it doesn't fit into my collecting focus. I've got it up on Comiclink for the next auction.

67597.jpg.9c6b6d70f464d2896b8c4301dbf5cf91.jpg

This came back from CGC. I won't be keeping it which sure is a shame but it doesn't fit into my collecting focus. I've got it up on Comiclink for the next auction.

67597.jpg

if cap's shield fails to deflect the bullet, that brow surely will.