• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

23,018 posts in this topic

So as this is not restored and in pretty nice shape what is this worth? A small fortune? hail.gif

There's only 8 known copies (there's still a 9th copy suspected? Still wonder about that one. Apparently there was a Theatre owner who recalled seeing this book when they were trying it out, therefore a suspected copy), and it's The very first printed apperance of the Sub-Mariner by Bill Everett!

Guide:

G $ 4,400.00

VG $ 7,700.00

F $ 11,000.00

VF $ 16,500.00

VF/NM $ 22,250.00

NM $ 28,000.00

Covers 2-4 (The set) $1,000.00

......but that's just guide!

hi.gif

I could be mistaken, but MOTION PICTURE FUNNIES WEEKLY hasn't sold for awhile because of it's scarcity, so I think the OS prices are outdated. I bet it would go for some serious change right now if one turned up in the market.

Perhaps, this can make amends.......

704486-1scanmpfw.jpg

Here is a letter i did for Gary Carter cross referencing the material in this book. I hope you all find this helpful. It is not recorded or indicated anywhere

June 19, 1993

Dear Gary,

I’d like to add my two cents to the discussion about which came first Marvel Comics #1 or Motion Picture Funnies Weekly. In the Submariner story in MPFW the infamous box with the language “continued next week” appears. When reproduced in Marvel Comics #1 the language is omitted but the box remains. Does it not make sense since the box blocks artwork in the panel (which does not appear in Marvel Comics) and because the box only serves the purpose of telling the reader that the story continues “next week” (not next month), that the story had to have been prepared for the prospective “weekly “ promotional comic? Regardless which saw the light of day first it is reasonable to conclude that the Submariner story was intended to first appear in this prospective weekly publication.

It is stated in the Guide that the “American Ace” appeared in Marvel Mystery #3. Not so. Six of the seven pages appearing in MPFW appeared in Marvel Mystery #2. (December 1939)

“Spy Ring” featuring “The Wasp” in MPFW appears (later?!) in Silver Streak Comics #1. (December 1939) To my knowledge this has not been reported. It is interesting to note that the Silver Streak comic has a full page ad for Marvel Mystery #2. Does all of this indicate some kind of tie between the books, the publishers, the creators?

“Fun-o-graph” in MPFW appears on the back cover on another promotional comic book, Green Giant Comics. (1940)

“Kar Toon and his copy Kat” by Filchock in MPFW is also reproduced in Green Giant Comics.

I have not been able to place “Jolly the Newsie” or the seventh page of “American Ace” yet.

Finally, although it may be coincidental the size of MPFW is identical to Little Giant Comics #4 and Little Giant Detective Funnies #4 which was produced earlier in 1939 by Centaur probably with the help of Jacquet and Funnies Inc.

I hope this info has been helpful to you esoteria people on the Boards.

Jon

don't know if one has been posted before, but here's one of my few timelys

719859-Submariner10.jpg.abd536f0f487fbf94efefb06d625a86c.jpg

here's a re-post with a larger file image embedded.

Submariner10.jpg?BClvpDCBUPigut6D

dig that krazy kat!

720666-Krazy9.jpg

720666-Krazy9.jpg.7442e79ebfe10d54119abefbda3a9728.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

my brother loves these.

720669-MarvelMys51.jpg

720669-MarvelMys51.jpg.78581614b9e85e7f477cfd92bfc0132b.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

Great cover! I always love the inking that Schomburg did on the Human Torch.

Though this isn't in the league of some of the books recently posted, I just picked this up in trade:

joker_16.jpg

Nice WW2 cover and a great Wolverton Powerhouse Pepper story. I wish I had more Timelys in my collection, but most of the major titles are out of my range right now. I am really starting to warm up to there Humor books though; there's some pretty twisted stuff to be found.

shhhh! don't tell anyone about their humor titles! or sekowsky! or wolverton! better yet, don't say anything at all!