• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

23,017 posts in this topic

What is an "Int" book? Is there a story beyond the "Int" on the cover?

Details on the "Int" books are very sparse, I did some research a few years ago and couldn't come up with much.

They're not a recognized pedigree, but the books usually are very nice (average VF).

Theory (and it's just a theory) is that they were issues destined for overseas via the U.S. Navy logistics chain. Whether they actually shipped to someone, if some copies were held back, etc., is anyone's guess.

Details on the "Int" books are very sparse, I did some research a few years ago and couldn't come up with much.

They're not a recognized pedigree, but the books usually are very nice (average VF).

Theory (and it's just a theory) is that they were issues destined for overseas via the U.S. Navy logistics chain. Whether they actually shipped to someone, if some copies were held back, etc., is anyone's guess.

I have always been curious if this is the INT OO's sig. I have not seen it on any other copies.

headline8.jpg

I have always been curious if this is the INT OO's sig. I have not seen it on any other copies.

headline8.jpg

That's a new one on me, Andy - I can't read the signature too well, can you interpret what it says?

headline8.jpg

That's a new one on me, Andy - I can't read the signature too well, can you interpret what it says?

looks like Francis Furch

headline8.jpg

looks like Francis Furch

Given the different (I think) handwriting and pen v. pencil maybe the signature is of someone who happened to pick up this copy rather than the OO of the entire Int collection. hm

headline8.jpg

looks like Francis Furch

Given the different (I think) handwriting and pen v. pencil maybe the signature is of someone who happened to pick up this copy rather than the OO of the entire Int collection. hm

First glance impression to me was that the pencil mark actually denotes 'jul' for July. (shrug)

That is interesting. Thanks for posting! :)

headline8.jpg

looks like Francis Furch

First glance impression to me was that the pencil mark actually denotes 'jul' for July. (shrug)

That could be.

Steve,

that's quite a detailed theory / guess. What made you suspect that they were destined for overseas? What was the clue?

Also, Francis Furch (if indeed that's the name) would have been born in 1923 in Binghamton, NY and was 17 at the 1940 census. He enlisted on February 1st, 1943 (survived the war; doesn't seem to have been deployed but maybe Jeff can get us more information easily on this) and died in 1977.

What are the date range of those Int books?

headline8.jpg

looks like Francis Furch

released in April so can't be July

http://www.mikesamazingworld.com/features/comic.php?comicid=146963

headline8.jpg

looks like Francis Furch

released in April so can't be July

http://www.mikesamazingworld.com/features/comic.php?comicid=146963

The likeliest explanation:

"Int" is a distributor code written by the retail seller of the comic.

The name would have been written by the owner later. I've not seen another copy with the owner's name.

Steve,

that's quite a detailed theory / guess. What made you suspect that they were destined for overseas? What was the clue?

A web-link that mentioned "Int" to indicate overseas (International) destination by the USN.

I (unfortunately) didn't save the link, but did discuss it with RareHighGrade - maybe his memory is better than mine.

Just a theory, I may be totally wrong.

Also, Francis Furch (if indeed that's the name) would have been born in 1923 in Binghamton, NY and was 17 at the 1940 census. He enlisted on February 1st, 1943 (survived the war; doesn't seem to have been deployed but maybe Jeff can get us more information easily on this) and died in 1977.

They start earlier than 1943 - for example, I have a Master 20 "Int" book from 11/41.

Steve,

A web-link that mentioned "Int" to indicate overseas (International) destination by the USN.

I (unfortunately) didn't save the link, but did discuss it with RareHighGrade - maybe his memory is better than mine.

Just a theory, I may be totally wrong.

They start earlier than 1943 - for example, I have a Master 20 "Int" book from 11/41.

This topic deserves a thread of it's own. hm

Edited by DavidMerryweather

New adds

852016fix1.jpg

852016fix.jpg

Nice, they never get old

I especially like the Torch #9. I owned one very briefly waaaaay back when in the Buyer's Guide days. I was doing a trade with the famous German Wilhelm Uthe. He sent me this book but then started jerking me around on my books. I didn't get burned though. I held on to it until my books were safely returned then, sadly returned his. I was one of the lucky ones I guess. I've always wanted another.