• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chicago Comic & Entertainment Expo C2E2 + April16-18, 2010 + McCormick Place

1,036 posts in this topic

Seeing some discussions on other boards and related (facebook, etc.) that attendance was not what they were expecting and that dealer sales were not what some anticipated?

Comments?

Yes, a lot of the dealers I spoke with on Sunday were saying they were expecting better sales and turnout was also lower than expected. Maybe it had something to do the fact it was the inaguaral event, + the location and expensive parking.

That being said, Reed put on an amazingly comfortable show. There were some issues with the VIP passes (Really, really, really, not worth it) but otherwise venue was amazing and airy, people were extremely nice to each other and the number of top notch Artists in Artist alley was just unbelievable.

If they do it next year I will definately back.

Seeing some discussions on other boards and related (facebook, etc.) that attendance was not what they were expecting and that dealer sales were not what some anticipated?

Comments?

Yes, a lot of the dealers I spoke with on Sunday were saying they were expecting better sales and turnout was also lower than expected. Maybe it had something to do the fact it was the inaguaral event, + the location and expensive parking.

That being said, Reed put on an amazingly comfortable show. There were some issues with the VIP passes (Really, really, really, not worth it) but otherwise venue was amazing and airy, people were extremely nice to each other and the number of top notch Artists in Artist alley was just unbelievable.

Same here.

This was one of the best shows I've ever been to when you're talking about access to sketches & signatures from a wide variety of comic book creators - which is probably why I ended up with a mighty 40 books that were submitted to CGC for the SS program (I think that's my largest ever show submission), and a CGC credit card bill that's sure to leave a mark.

In regards to buying, well, I was slightly less impressed - at shows I'm mostly looking for copper/modern rarities, and truth to be told there just wasn't a whole lot of that there. The SA/GA selection seemed vast, but I can't remember the last time I didn't come across a single copy of Cerebus #1, Bone #1, or any of the other indie keys at a large show like this.

If you compare this show to Wizard World Chicago, it seems like WW Chicago is on one end of the spectrum with hardly no comic book creators, but a larger selection of dealers - and C2E2 is at the opposite end with a plethora of artists & writers, but not enough dealers. My hope is that next year C2E2 will move a little bit towards the WW Chicago retailer model, yet still serve up a great selection of creators.

Comments?

I agree 100%!

Especially about the VIP, WTF???

Comments?

Same here.

This was one of the best shows I've ever been to when you're talking about access to sketches & signatures from a wide variety of comic book creators - which is probably why I ended up with a mighty 40 books that were submitted to CGC for the SS program (I think that's my largest ever show submission), and a CGC credit card bill that's sure to leave a mark.

In regards to buying, well, I was slightly less impressed - at shows I'm mostly looking for copper/modern rarities, and truth to be told there just wasn't a whole lot of that there. The SA/GA selection seemed vast, but I can't remember the last time I didn't come across a single copy of Cerebus #1, Bone #1, or any of the other indie keys at a large show like this.

If you compare this show to Wizard World Chicago, it seems like WW Chicago is on one end of the spectrum with hardly no comic book creators, but a larger selection of dealers - and C2E2 is at the opposite end with a plethora of artists & writers, but not enough dealers. My hope is that next year C2E2 will move a little bit towards the WW Chicago retailer model, yet still serve up a great selection of creators.

Interesting observations. I may have to try and make it next year.

Comments?

Yeah, WTF!

VIP passes were a joke, and I let Georgette Simso know this as pleasantly as possibly.

I saw a family of four walking out Sunday night with 4 VIP passes, even for the kids. They burned $800 and were not happy.

That whole nightmare on Saturday morning when they made us queue up in the regular line and wouldn't let us in early was also a joke.

Same here.

This was one of the best shows I've ever been to when you're talking about access to sketches & signatures from a wide variety of comic book creators

As it was, it was amazing. Throw in Michael Zulli, and maybe an impromptu Gaiman signing and it would have been the ultimate.

Comments?

Yeah, WTF!

VIP passes were a joke, and I let Georgette Simso know this as pleasantly as possibly.

I saw a family of four walking out Sunday night with 4 VIP passes, even for the kids. They burned $800 and were not happy.

That whole nightmare on Saturday morning when they made us queue up in the regular line and wouldn't let us in early was also a joke.

True story: Saturday morning I get there after working all night and sleeping for one hour on my flight from St. Louis. They herd me in line and I'm standing there next to an oriental guy they herded in behind me.

He's looking through his art work, and I say, "Did you do those?"

He smiles politely and says, "Yes."

I say, "Those are GREAT. Those are...."

I go to say 'Professional quality', when I look at his badge, which says GENE HA.

I waved over one of the people and say, "You may want to let him in..."

lol

C2E2 #2 will be on April 8, 9, 10, 2011 and I assume at the same McCormick location. May be for the 3rd year, C2E2 may move to Rosemont area to keep down booth, hotel, parking costs for the dealer/retailers so they can break even easier.

Line up on Sat. for Alex Ross was 2.5 hours or more to get his sig. For some reason, C2E2 let each collector have up to 10 items signed at once. They should have allocated 2 sigs/person and then you line up at the back again just to get the line moving. At least I got a free photo with Alex Ross. (worship) This long line up kept fan $$ away from the dealer/retailers just like Saturdays at SDCC.

While I agree it was a great convention and McCormik place is awesome, speaking as a local the location was awful. The commute with traffic is terrible and the parking fee was outrageous. There is NOTHING around the hotel itself. Everything required a cab ride. I like Rosemont a whole lot better. Sorry.

While I agree it was a great convention and McCormik place is awesome, speaking as a local the location was awful. The commute with traffic is terrible and the parking fee was outrageous. There is NOTHING around the hotel itself. Everything required a cab ride. I like Rosemont a whole lot better. Sorry.

I agree that driving in traffic sucks big time, but the one time $19 parking fee is about right for downtown Chicago (and cheap in relation to some garages). I agree with all your other points, too. I love the Rosemont show because it's a 7 minute drive for me :luhv:

Comments?

Yeah, WTF!

Definitely agree on the VIP. They were a joke...

Had a great time and it was a wonderful show. I would definitely go back, just wouldn't do the VIP...

It's amazing, Reed has had a few years to iron out their VIP program, and each time, they never seem to get it right. While Wizard's VIP packages are 99% of the time overpriced, at least they try to provide some extra value through dedicated signings and some swag. From my estimation, the C2E2 VIP was what, early access to the hall and...?

Here's a hint, boys and girls, for alternatives to the VIP pass... Register as a pro or ask your local comic book shop to represent them by registering as a retailer. (Retailers are counted like pros in Reed's eyes) Now, to register as a professional, you need to have some sort of credit in the comic book industry, but I'll leave it to you smart people to figure out how to get that done. :)

The facility was gorgeous, but even for the one "connected" hotel, it was a 7-15 minute walk at least. When you're hauling books, and falling apart, that's WAAAAYY too long a walk... :) While Rosemont has its' issues, you have 4 hotels across a street from the place, and there's enough bars and steak restaurants to keep folks happy. Ok, it keeps me happy at least... :) Plus it's very close to O'Hare, so most out-of-towners have a simple commute to/from the airport.

I'm thinking next year they need to pour on the local advertising, and do major outreach to all the neighboring states, maybe dump free kids' tickets for Sunday to local schools and libraries in order to boost that attendance. There were people in downtown Chicago that me and other retailers met before the show during the retailer conference, and when we mentioned C2E2, almost all of them said, "What? There's a comic book show here this weekend? Cool, tell me about it..." So, hopefully we added a few people on the show floor. :)

Joel

so, to any that set up at this show, was it as bad sales wise, as the few I have spoken too said it was?

just curious (making decision for next year)

so, to any that set up at this show, was it as bad sales wise, as the few I have spoken too said it was?

just curious (making decision for next year)

Metro said they had a decent show, buying and selling wise, as did a couple of other dealers I know of. Most, however, had disappointing sales - but they may have had a good buying show - so it depends on how you look at it, I guess

Comments?

Captain and everyone here that made it to this inaugural event.

Thank you

We know the traffic didn't quite meet our admittedly high expectations; we are already planning PR programs to make this work.

Our customers have asked to build this event and as a company we are committed to doing it.

reedPop order of operations are this - give our fans what they want and in return we will be rewarded with a great show. Each part builds upon itself.

Ask some exhibitors about their historical experiences with other first year cons that are now fine events, but did not go without challenges and talk of never again. And if we empowered anyone to help us that took advantage of their roles, then we will correct that also - trust me, we will reward the right results. This takes a little time and we will deliver what you want from VIP to guests to those beautiful carpeted aisles. But we are picky.

I want to quote our uber Vice President of reedPop, Lance . . .

"Each one of us helped (meaning fans, exhibitors, volunteers, reedPop staff, media, and special guests) jolt electricity into Frankenstein - and it walked."

We will take every experience, observation, and opinion here into consideration because you are part of the industry we serve and it is our commitment to deliver you a great experience.

Here is more from Lance and read what The Beat had to say . . .

http://www.mediumatlarge.net/2010/04/thanks-to-our-28000-friends-old-and-new.html

Thank you again.

Yodude

this show sucked for retailers, i will not be back, everyone talks about how much elbow room there was, thats because no one was there! Parking awful, load out the worst in the history of shows. If i had choice between doing the show again and a root canal i choose the better of the two. the root canal. Reed expo person said they released a monster on chicago i agree it was godzilla and the retailers were tokyo.