• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Too Many Forum Scams for Me!

355 posts in this topic

Well, I've bought huge lots where I knew they had been cherry picked some years earlier or whatever. The key is to assume that books that have become hot in the meantime are also in there. (As in Pre-Unity Valiants packs that will grade out to 9.8 or tons of ASM/X-Men/Batman, etc.) (shrug)

(Of course, I got to look through the boxes first in person... )

but don't act like a person_without_enough_empathy and throw up this sort of passive-aggressive whining about how your delicate sensibilities are too badly injured to ever go on

So I am NOT allowed to be a bit morally outraged at the type of :censored: that's been going on here lately? To tell the truth, when I read what CS pulled, with backup evidence from Filter... and THEN saw a forum member trying to RESELL these same boxes, it made my physically sick. I literally couldn't believe what I was seeing.

I admit I have pretty high ethical standards, especially when it comes to monetary transactions, and I cannot expect everyone to follow my lead when conducting business on here, but all this is way overboard.

Vince, are you saying that one of CS's unhappy customers has tried to unload a box of these here on the boards, already??

but don't act like a person_without_enough_empathy and throw up this sort of passive-aggressive whining about how your delicate sensibilities are too badly injured to ever go on

So I am NOT allowed to be a bit morally outraged at the type of :censored: that's been going on here lately? To tell the truth, when I read what CS pulled, with backup evidence from Filter... and THEN saw a forum member trying to RESELL these same boxes, it made my physically sick. I literally couldn't believe what I was seeing.

I admit I have pretty high ethical standards, especially when it comes to monetary transactions, and I cannot expect everyone to follow my lead when conducting business on here, but all this is way overboard.

Vince, are you saying that one of CS's unhappy customers has tried to unload a box of these here on the boards, already??

I believe that person has just closed his sales thread (after having read the Probation thread.)

I believe that person has just closed his sales thread (after having read the Probation thread.)

Yup. A few folks jumped on the thread and talked "reason" to the seller. Glad the mess isn't getting passed on to yet another buyer.

Yup. A few folks jumped on the thread and talked "reason" to the seller. Glad the mess isn't getting passed on to yet another buyer.

thanks for the quick replies. that subsequent seller wouldn't have done himself any favors had a sale been culminated, given the timing and circumstances... :blush:

In before the thread is pulled! :banana:

Why is it getting pulled?

Either you're getting gun-shy, or just an attention whore. hm

Why is it getting pulled?

Either you're getting gun-shy, or just an attention whore. hm

(thumbs u lol

I did prior to opening the box. The thread has been closed and paypal and my credit card have been notified.

I am out the money, maybe for goood, but whats worse is that now it looks I tried to scam too. That pisses me off more then losing my money.

I am truly sorry for those have been affected by the cherry-picked boxes. I am however, thankful that the boards have really shown through in such a situation to expose what has been going on. Reputation is everything and I think examples like this will make the boards stronger and a safer place for your money than elsewhere where scammers can really get away with it. Most of all, I am hopeful that the offending party will change his ways for the better and can actually still be a part of the boards.

Dan

Situations like this one are truly disturbing to see as I hold the boards to a higher level than I would ever expect of outlets such as ebay. I sell in the marketplace from time to time and treat all of my buyers the way I would want to be treated. I made some mistakes the first couple of shipments (years ago) in that I did not pack as secure as I should have. After refunding to the buyers, I took it as a learning experience and swore to do better in the future. We should all strive to conduct our business dealings at the highest level possible. That type of attitude is what makes the marketplace such a great place to interact with your fellow collectors. There may be the bad apple that pops up from time to time, but overall, the marketplace is one of the best places to buy books that I have found on the internet. There are so many knowledgable people that congegrate here that anyone would be a fool to attempt to pull off an unethical deal. Anyone who does so and does so willingly deserves to be raked over the proverbial coals.

Board members should not give up on selling/buying from the marketplace. Just use common sense and make deals with sellers that have a solid reputation.

I find it pretty easy to navigate the sales threads and stay away from possible bad sellers whose names have come up in the probation thread. I've only been here a short while and found the sellers I have dealt with to be great. Perhaps before buying take a look through the kudos thread. The old unchecked short/long box routine of selling comics is one of the biggest jokes ever. Fifty sellers on ebay running that scam.

I am truly sorry for those have been affected by the cherry-picked boxes. I am however, thankful that the boards have really shown through in such a situation to expose what has been going on. Reputation is everything and I think examples like this will make the boards stronger and a safer place for your money than elsewhere where scammers can really get away with it. Most of all, I am hopeful that the offending party will change his ways for the better and can actually still be a part of the boards.

Dan

+1 (thumbs u

This place is not perfect, but what place is?

I think the problem is not so much with the "newbie sellers" but seeing long-time members start to defraud their fellow board members.

Exactly, and it's this recent "good sellers gone bad" phenomenon that's really disheartening, and remember folks, not every single scam is highlighted in the forum.

There is a LOT of bad stuff going on behind closed PM doors, and due to most people's unwillingness to air dirty laundry/admit they got scammed, is never reported to the entire forum.

Some of it would literally turn your hair grey, if you have any or it's not already. :insane:

I also have recently had a bad experience with a board member. As many of you know, when I run a raw sales thread, I post large pics of both front and back covers. You can pretty much see everything. This person agreed to purchase 2 rather large value books, and said he would pay by paypal. After a few days, I have not received payment and I contact him and he says, it is taking awhile to transfer money due to him being in Canada(I have no idea if this is true or not). I stay after him, contacting him about once every 4 or 5 days. Finally after a little over 22 days, he says "he doesn't have enough money to purchase the books". I check around and he has also purchased some other big books from other people. I do a little inquisition on the probation thread about what qualifies a person for the list. I tell the guy I am going to put him on the probation list and he agrees to send the money. Well, no sooner than he gets them, does he want to return them saying they weren't what he was expecting. These books were very conservatively graded, but whatever,because I do accept refunds. He sends them back. And I am in the process of refunding his money as we speak(though not getting in a hurry about it).

I am almost sure this is a case where he either found something he would rather have and couldn't keep both, or he was hoping to be able to make a buck and found he probably couldn't.

This is the first and only bad experience that I have had like this, but it definitely felt like an ebay deal gone wrong.

A solution???? I think before anyone is allowed to sell on the boards, they should have to reach a post count threshold of at least 100 or maybe 500 posts. That would stop the newbies from getting on here and screwing things up. Nothing you can really do about all of it though. If someone wants to cheat people, you can't really stop them.

A solution for the buying end. Don't buy something that seems too good to be true, because it is probably not. I have very little sympathy for anyone who buys something from a seller who has a questionable past, and is offering something which may or may not be good.

I have NEVER understood this buying of boxes sight unseen, unless you personally know the seller. It rarely if ever works out for the buyer. You can go to any convention in the country and buy a long box of comics full of low grade bronze age for 50 - 75.00. I don't know why anyone would like to pay 150.00 for kind of dreck. Did you seriously think you would get some 20 - 40.00 books out of the box?

Who is scamming whom? I haven't seen anything recently. Not saying it isn't happening, but just haven't seen it. (shrug)

Someone purchased many long boxes of books that were clearly identified as low grade and water damaged with multiple copies of each issue. Then he flipped them on here listed as higher grade, no more than 5 copies of a given book, and when asked if there were any water damaged books ahead of time he stated NO.

Here is where a few folks clarified what really happened before the sale.

The Scam

the link failed. who was the scammer? thxs

A solution???? I think before anyone is allowed to sell on the boards, they should have to reach a post count threshold of at least 100 or maybe 500 posts. That would stop the newbies from getting on here and screwing things up. Nothing you can really do about all of it though. If someone wants to cheat people, you can't really stop them.

A solution for the buying end. Don't buy something that seems too good to be true, because it is probably not. I have very little sympathy for anyone who buys something from a seller who has a questionable past, and is offering something which may or may not be good.

Dale the only problem with your suggestion is some of us would never reach the threshold to be able to buy/sell. I have had many great deals with other board members. I just don't post a lot.

John B.

You the one I bought the DC FF from in Charlotte?

If so, you're more then OK in my book regardless of how many posts you have :applause:

It IS discouraging to see these sorts of problem crop up as this is my little hang out to take the occasional break from work, chores, etc, etc. And it DOES seem like we've had a bit of a rise in the number of these problems. And it seems a few more are uncovered each day. And like Vince, it continues to discourage me.

I recently had a conversation about this with a long time board member who was feeling a bit disillusioned about our community as of late, and frankly, this sucks. As a (comparatively) young collector, I really do depend on many of our veteran collectors to guide me along and help get to know more and more about this hobby, be it through the nuts and bolts of grading, restoration, conservation, or content-based information about the books themselves. I also depend upon this place for reliable transactions after my initial experiences with eBay a few years ago, so yeah, I'm bummed out by it.

But, I think we need to keep the goal in mind that this is our community and we CAN make of it what we want. We don't need the pitchforks and torches to have open discussions about what's taking place and enforce what is right and wrong. I'd point to Doma Origato (sp?) as a good example of this--he definitely helped get things in order with Connor without resorting to mob mentality. This is a great example of board members working to keep things in order while still being professional about it.

We don't need moderators or administrators to intercede; if we as a community no longer accept someone as a member in good standing, then we make the decision to blacklist them on the probation list or further, on the Hall of Shame list.

So yeah, I have no issues with Vince posting this thread as there are a number of people who do not frequent the probation thread and don't always know that there ARE some issues at hand. Bringing it to light is the only way we as a board can police these problems and try to prevent them from continuing to occur.

Ok. Soapbox over. Time to get ready for night class. :foryou: