• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

This thread is too quiet ;)

I told my wife at the time "watch, he'll claim he didn't get it, sell it and ask for another"

This is an odd comment. Did you have a reason to not trust the buyer before sending the package? Is it a board regular?

I'd just send the refund & be done with it, no reason to send your last copy.

This thread is too quiet ;)

I told my wife at the time "watch, he'll claim he didn't get it, sell it and ask for another"

This is an odd comment. Did you have a reason to not trust the buyer before sending the package? Is it a board regular?

I'd just send the refund & be done with it, no reason to send your last copy.

I made the comment because it always seems those sales where I perceive it as doing someone a favour are the biggest headaches. The high dollar purchases always seem to go smoothly for me.

Whats your delivery confirmation number stating at usps.com?

lol

For $7 shipped I get a lovely receipt from Canada Post. It's insured. Maybe I should make a claim. hm

Refund and be done with the buyer. The book that you had for him was lost, no sense in trying to bend over backwards if you think something fishy is going on. Give the refund so that you've covered your responsibilities and cut ties. 2c

I agree completely.

Whats your delivery confirmation number stating at usps.com?

lol

For $7 shipped I get a lovely receipt from Canada Post. It's insured. Maybe I should make a claim. hm

^^

So what if he's telling the truth and didn't receive the book?

If he's been involved in this type of scam on several other occasions, I can understand, but if nobody's ever had this problem with him, why's he being thrown under the bus?

I would refund. To me, that is standard operating procedure. Sorry you have to deal with it, though.

Yep, I'd refund as well.

ditto, refund.

Books do get lost, or mis-delivered, but rarely. I think it's happened to me 2 or 3 times over the last 9 years (and that's a lot of packages!) Be happy it was such a low-price item.

Refund and never deal with them again.

I think Dice is refering to this guy "throwing him under the bus".

I was.

Higher priced items get tracking and extra insurance so I'm covered.

As far as never dealing with him again I guess if I suspect he did receive the item then it makes sense to just avoid.

Whether he received it or not though the refund seems the best option.

Refund and never deal with them again.

I think Dice is refering to this guy "throwing him under the bus".

I was.

Maybe no low dollar untracked items. A 2nd chance is not out of the question although I think we can all agree if 2 packages did not make it to the same buyer then the problem is not the post office.

I made the comment because it always seems those sales where I perceive it as doing someone a favour are the biggest headaches

A little while back, this forum did me a huge favor by conducting a charity auction in my name. After that, I made a promise to myself to give back when I could. Any time a charity auction came up for any forum member, I made sure I was 'Johnny on the Spot' with donations. That stopped when I offered up some sweet books at 33% of GPA, and 50% of OS from two years ago.

It's for a good cause, right?

The buyer got the books, and claimed that they were of a lower grade than advertised. What's funny is that if they were the grade he said they were, he still made bank. To complain about a minor grade difference in a charity auction seems pretty low-class to me. Put away the jeweler's loupe. It's one thing if I send you a rat-chewed book, but it's another if the grade is a matter of personal eyeballing between forumites.

Anyway, I fully refunded him, told him to keep the books, and made sure the charity auction recipient got 100% of the original proceeds. I just wanted to be done with this guy. This particular forumite has a record of selling over-graded books, and complaining that the books he buys are weak sauce. He knows who he is.

I was still recovering from my financial hardships when this happened, but I ate the $80 + loss & shipping. From then on, I've only donated directly via Paypal.

I made the comment because it always seems those sales where I perceive it as doing someone a favour are the biggest headaches

A little while back, this forum did me a huge favor by conducting a charity auction in my name. After that, I made a promise to myself to give back when I could. Any time a charity auction came up for any forum member, I made sure I was 'Johnny on the Spot' with donations. That stopped when I offered up some sweet books at 33% of GPA, and 50% of OS from two years ago.

It's for a good cause, right?

The buyer got the books, and claimed that they were of a lower grade than advertised. What's funny is that if they were the grade he said they were, he still made bank. To complain about a minor grade difference in a charity auction seems pretty low-class to me. Put away the jeweler's loupe. It's one thing if I send you a rat-chewed book, but it's another if the grade is a matter of personal eyeballing between forumites.

Anyway, I fully refunded him, told him to keep the books, and made sure the charity auction recipient got 100% of the original proceeds. I just wanted to be done with this guy. This particular forumite has a record of selling over-graded books, and complaining that the books he buys are weak sauce. He knows who he is.

I was still recovering from my financial hardships when this happened, but I ate the $80 + loss & shipping. From then on, I've only donated directly via Paypal.

Something similar has happened to me as well. Some people aren't happy with a good deal for a good cause, or don't care about the cause at all given their behavior.

...The buyer got the books, and claimed that they were of a lower grade than advertised. What's funny is that if they were the grade he said they were, he still made bank. To complain about a minor grade difference in a charity auction seems pretty low-class to me. Put away the jeweler's loupe. It's one thing if I send you a rat-chewed book, but it's another if the grade is a matter of personal eyeballing between forumites.

Beau, that sucketh. The loser population on the boards brings me down.

I would have demanded he return the books and refund his money. I would then have reposted them auction style with a full explanation of why these are appearing again for the same charity.

I bet the sympathy bids would have well exceeded the original.

...The buyer got the books, and claimed that they were of a lower grade than advertised. What's funny is that if they were the grade he said they were, he still made bank. To complain about a minor grade difference in a charity auction seems pretty low-class to me. Put away the jeweler's loupe. It's one thing if I send you a rat-chewed book, but it's another if the grade is a matter of personal eyeballing between forumites.

Beau, that sucketh. The loser population on the boards brings me down.

I would have demanded he return the books and refund his money. I would then have reposted them auction style with a full explanation of why these are appearing again for the same charity.

I bet the sympathy bids would have well exceeded the original.

This (thumbs u

Sorry to hear that someone diminished your gesture Beau. There are some folks (here, there, and a little bit of everywhere unfortunately) that fail to see the forest of helping hands for the fact that the tree has an extra spine tic or two. Mangled metaphors aside, some folks are determined to be short-sighted or interested only in themselves. I am glad that it did not completely turn you off to the good works and you are still participating in your own way. Hope that all is well on your end outside of the general bad taste that this left :)