• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

...The buyer got the books, and claimed that they were of a lower grade than advertised. What's funny is that if they were the grade he said they were, he still made bank. To complain about a minor grade difference in a charity auction seems pretty low-class to me. Put away the jeweler's loupe. It's one thing if I send you a rat-chewed book, but it's another if the grade is a matter of personal eyeballing between forumites.

Anyway, I fully refunded him, told him to keep the books, and made sure the charity auction recipient got 100% of the original proceeds. I just wanted to be done with this guy. This particular forumite has a record of selling over-graded books, and complaining that the books he buys are weak sauce. He knows who he is.

Beau, that sucketh. The loser population on the boards brings me down.

I would have demanded he return the books and refund his money. I would then have reposted them auction style with a full explanation of why these are appearing again for the same charity.

I bet the sympathy bids would have well exceeded the original.

This (thumbs u

Sorry to hear that someone diminished your gesture Beau. There are some folks (here, there, and a little bit of everywhere unfortunately) that fail to see the forest of helping hands for the fact that the tree has an extra spine tic or two. Mangled metaphors aside, some folks are determined to be short-sighted or interested only in themselves. I am glad that it did not completely turn you off to the good works and you are still participating in your own way. Hope that all is well on your end outside of the general bad taste that this left :)

I am surprised at some of the major deuchebaggery going on behind the scenes. A little shocking and quite unfortunate but don't lose faith in everyone here, just weed out the undesirables....we all have "lists'' just like Cal does. The best thing, though, is that you did the right thing and made it meaningful instead of affecting someone who was in need. And for that, you get the first seal1.gif

I made the comment because it always seems those sales where I perceive it as doing someone a favour are the biggest headaches

A little while back, this forum did me a huge favor by conducting a charity auction in my name. After that, I made a promise to myself to give back when I could. Any time a charity auction came up for any forum member, I made sure I was 'Johnny on the Spot' with donations. That stopped when I offered up some sweet books at 33% of GPA, and 50% of OS from two years ago.

It's for a good cause, right?

The buyer got the books, and claimed that they were of a lower grade than advertised. What's funny is that if they were the grade he said they were, he still made bank. To complain about a minor grade difference in a charity auction seems pretty low-class to me. Put away the jeweler's loupe. It's one thing if I send you a rat-chewed book, but it's another if the grade is a matter of personal eyeballing between forumites.

Anyway, I fully refunded him, told him to keep the books, and made sure the charity auction recipient got 100% of the original proceeds. I just wanted to be done with this guy. This particular forumite has a record of selling over-graded books, and complaining that the books he buys are weak sauce. He knows who he is.

I was still recovering from my financial hardships when this happened, but I ate the $80 + loss & shipping. From then on, I've only donated directly via Paypal.

For something like this he should be called out so people would be aware of this jerk!

...The buyer got the books, and claimed that they were of a lower grade than advertised. What's funny is that if they were the grade he said they were, he still made bank. To complain about a minor grade difference in a charity auction seems pretty low-class to me. Put away the jeweler's loupe. It's one thing if I send you a rat-chewed book, but it's another if the grade is a matter of personal eyeballing between forumites.

I would have demanded he return the books and refund his money. I would then have reposted them auction style with a full explanation of why these are appearing again for the same charity.

This (thumbs u

Sorry to hear that someone diminished your gesture Beau. There are some folks (here, there, and a little bit of everywhere unfortunately) that fail to see the forest of helping hands for the fact that the tree has an extra spine tic or two. Mangled metaphors aside, some folks are determined to be short-sighted or interested only in themselves. I am glad that it did not completely turn you off to the good works and you are still participating in your own way. Hope that all is well on your end outside of the general bad taste that this left :)

I am surprised at some of the major deuchebaggery going on behind the scenes. A little shocking and quite unfortunate but don't lose faith in everyone here, just weed out the undesirables....we all have "lists'' just like Cal does. The best thing, though, is that you did the right thing and made it meaningful instead of affecting someone who was in need. And for that, you get the first seal1.gif

You would fall out of your computer chair if you knew who this was, because many of you clap him on the back all the time what a swell fellow he is.

That's the real shame!

This (thumbs u

You would fall out of your computer chair if you knew who this was, because many of you clap him on the back all the time what a swell fellow he is.

That's the real shame!

I know who it is too lol surprised me, but low class on his part

This (thumbs u

That's the real shame!

True dat! I don't think I would have expected it from him. Alas, true colors are shown at the most improbable time. What a shame.

The best thing, though, is that you did the right thing and made it meaningful instead of affecting someone who was in need. And for that, you get the first

seal1.gif

I shall wear it like a badge of honor, and I'll wear it silently lest you honor me again. :D

Don't ask me for PMs people, I fear I was way wide of the mark!

Yeah, I can be good at obfuscation sometimes.

I'm good at obfusticating myself. :insane:

Could some PM me....

don't keep an insufficiently_thoughtful_person in suspense :insane:

+1

That sucks Beau. I would also appreciate a PM.

As would I. Been searching up a storm to no avail.

I would make a terrible sleuth as well.